Help! Should I quit my other job to be a casual package driver?

Roan

Hi, all. I was recently hired without an interview as a casual package driver, so I wasn't informed of much before training started. And training was just three days on Zoom, during which I couldn't even ask questions because we had to stay on mute so as not to slow the schedule down. I applied and accepted the job thinking driving would be my second job, but then I learned about DOT Hours of Service regulations, which means I cannot work both jobs at once; I have to choose between them.

Off the cuff, UPS is the obvious better choice. It pays $5 an hour more and I assume is 40 hours of work a week, whereas my other job is only 32.

But is it only seasonal?? My online application says "casual package driver", which people here say means "on call as needed". My Zoom trainers said we were being hired seasonally, but my HR rep said there were two permanent positions open in my city that they'd be filling with seasonal drivers. And when I got my DOT physical, the examiner scoffed at the idea that I'd only be working seasonally because "they're hurting for drivers", she said. So now I don't know what to expect.

I would quit my other job and stick with UPS, but if it's only seasonal or on call, that could put me in a worse financial position than I'm in now!

Plus I'm nervous about getting hired permanently because I'm worried whether a series of minor slips might sour the road supervisor toward me. On the first day of on-site training, I had to be late (with permission) because I had to get my DOT physical right beforehand. But it just happened to snow and close the interstate overnight, so on my way back from the physical, I got stuck in traffic for an hour. I ended up just doing the online training and coming back the next day. But the next day, I didn't have my DOT card (because my doctor had to fax a letter to the examiner first, so I didn't get my DOT card the same day as the appointment, which I didn't even know was the routine. I have my DOT card now.) So the road supervisor had to reschedule my training AGAIN for the week after he gets back from vacation. None of this is my fault, exactly, just unavoidable circumstances. But still, it makes me nervous.

Besides which, I haven't even tried my hand at the job yet, and though I'm optimistic about my abilities, for all I know, I could be rotten at it and just get fired right away anyway.

Meanwhile, I still haven't given my notice to my other job because I'm so uncertain what UPS has in store for me! That means, how it shakes out right now, even if I do quit and go to UPS instead, I'll have to work both jobs for up to two weeks anyway, violating DOT Hours of Service regulations during that time and exhausting myself besides!

Should I give my notice and just suck it up and work both jobs for two weeks? Should I quit UPS and stick to my existing job? Do you see any other options? Thank you for your advice.

Hi, all. I was recently hired without an interview as a casual package driver, so I wasn't informed of much before training started. And training was just three days on Zoom, during which I couldn't even ask questions because we had to stay on mute so as not to slow the schedule down. I applied and accepted the job thinking driving would be my second job, but then I learned about DOT Hours of Service regulations, which means I cannot work both jobs at once; I have to choose between them.

Off the cuff, UPS is the obvious better choice. It pays $5 an hour more and I assume is 40 hours of work a week, whereas my other job is only 32.

But is it only seasonal?? My online application says "casual package driver", which people here say means "on call as needed". My Zoom trainers said we were being hired seasonally, but my HR rep said there were two permanent positions open in my city that they'd be filling with seasonal drivers. And when I got my DOT physical, the examiner scoffed at the idea that I'd only be working seasonally because "they're hurting for drivers", she said. So now I don't know what to expect.

I would quit my other job and stick with UPS, but if it's only seasonal or on call, that could put me in a worse financial position than I'm in now!

Plus I'm nervous about getting hired permanently because I'm worried whether a series of minor slips might sour the road supervisor toward me. On the first day of on-site training, I had to be late (with permission) because I had to get my DOT physical right beforehand. But it just happened to snow and close the interstate overnight, so on my way back from the physical, I got stuck in traffic for an hour. I ended up just doing the online training and coming back the next day. But the next day, I didn't have my DOT card (because my doctor had to fax a letter to the examiner first, so I didn't get my DOT card the same day as the appointment, which I didn't even know was the routine. I have my DOT card now.) So the road supervisor had to reschedule my training AGAIN for the week after he gets back from vacation. None of this is my fault, exactly, just unavoidable circumstances. But still, it makes me nervous.

Besides which, I haven't even tried my hand at the job yet, and though I'm optimistic about my abilities, for all I know, I could be rotten at it and just get fired right away anyway.

Meanwhile, I still haven't given my notice to my other job because I'm so uncertain what UPS has in store for me! That means, how it shakes out right now, even if I do quit and go to UPS instead, I'll have to work both jobs for up to two weeks anyway, violating DOT Hours of Service regulations during that time and exhausting myself besides!

Should I give my notice and just suck it up and work both jobs for two weeks? Should I quit UPS and stick to my existing job? Do you see any other options? Thank you for your advice.
If you do get hired on as a seasonal there's no guarantee after holiday you will have a job
Do you want to work inside for three or four hours a day making 15 bucks an hour if you don't cut it as a driver?

JJinVA

How cool is your current job? If you have a good relationship with your employer, try letting them know that you are seeking a career change with UPS but that if it doesnt pan out you'd like to come back. They may give you a Leave of Absence. Doesnt hurt to ask.

As far as the decision that has to be made, that one is on you. Life is full of risk and reward. You may get lucky, you may get the shaft. Cant win if you dont play as the saying goes.

Roan

If you do get hired on as a seasonal there's no guarantee after holiday you will have a job
Do you want to work inside for three or four hours a day making 15 bucks an hour if you don't cut it as a driver?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by asking about working inside for three or four hours a day. Are you saying that's the kind of work I'd be given at UPS if I fail as a driver? Thanks.

Roan

How cool is your current job? ...try letting them know that you are seeking a career change with UPS but that if it doesnt pan out you'd like to come back.
Cant win if you dont play as the saying goes.
*gasp* "When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game. But you don't get to win unless you play in the game." That's from "The Room Where It Happens" in Hamilton... Thank you for the reminder!

*gasp* "When you got skin in the game, you stay in the game. But you don't get to win unless you play in the game." That's from "The Room Where It Happens" in Hamilton... Thank you for the reminder!
You need to think about your opt
Do you have a family to provide for? Do you have a spouse that has a good income and could afford for you to wait to get on as a regular driver?

Est.1998

How old are you?
Do you have any dependents?
Are you a dependent?
Why is your post super long?

Roan

Not that I think you're really looking for answers to those questions. I think you're just being rhetorical, i.e. "Think about your options." I guess I shouldn't have answered, whoops. But you make good points, thanks.

Roan

It's a tough call I honestly can't tell you what to do
You're right, thanks. I know.

But if anyone has any ideas besides working both jobs for two weeks (and besides not giving any notice at all), I'd be interested to hear. My biggest stress point right now is just that, trying to figure out how to handle those two overlapping weeks without getting myself fired, burning any bridges, or exhausting myself to disaster.

(My current idea is just what JJinVA said, basically: Call my current job, explain the situation, offer apologies, and request good terms in case things don't work out. The only problem is it's unreasonable to expect them to be OK not making me work those two weeks to accommodate my other job. So I could ask UPS something similar: Sorry, but can I have two weeks before starting so I can give my other employer notice? Ugh, I'm so stressed about my road supervisor being on vacation and not having had an opportunity to discuss scheduling before I was thrown in to training. T-T )

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Where do you live that it’s snowing hard enough to close roads this time of year?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

But if anyone has any ideas besides working both jobs for two weeks (and besides not giving any notice at all), I'd be interested to hear. My biggest stress point right now is just that, trying to figure out how to handle those two overlapping weeks without getting myself fired, burning any bridges, or exhausting myself to disaster.

(My current idea is just what JJinVA said, basically: Call my current job, explain the situation, offer apologies, and request good terms in case things don't work out. The only problem is it's unreasonable to expect them to be OK not making me work those two weeks to accommodate my other job. So I could ask UPS something similar: Sorry, but can I have two weeks before starting so I can give my other employer notice? Ugh, I'm so stressed about my road supervisor being on vacation and not having had an opportunity to discuss scheduling before I was thrown in to training. T-T )

Two week's notice is customary, not required. Who cares if they don't hire you back? You don't think you can find another job if UPS doesn't work out? Being free to do whatever UPS needs you to do can only work in your favor.

JJinVA

Switching jobs is as stressful as moving to a new place. Little can be done to mitigate the stress end. How hard was it for you to get the other 32 hour job? I mean surely they arent the only company hiring in your area right now, so even if you lost both of them is there anywhere else youd like to go just incase?

You can also take the slightly dishonest route and tell your current job you had a death in the family out of state and are requesting time off to grieve. Not sure what kind of verification they would ask for I know UPS would ask for some proof. (Thats another thing, never ever lie to UPS. That is their cardinal sin and you will be fired).

Roan

Two week's notice is customary, not required. Who cares if they don't hire you back? You don't think you can find another job if UPS doesn't work out? Being free to do whatever UPS needs you to do can only work in your favor.

Switching jobs is as stressful as moving to a new place. Little can be done to mitigate the stress end. How hard was it for you to get the other 32 hour job? I mean surely they arent the only company hiring in your area right now, so even if you lost both of them is there anywhere else youd like to go just incase?

You can also take the slightly dishonest route and tell your current job you had a death in the family out of state and are requesting time off to grieve. Not sure what kind of verification they would ask for I know UPS would ask for some proof. (Thats another thing, never ever lie to UPS. That is their cardinal sin and you will be fired).

My current employer is one of the biggest and most respected companies in the city... Burning bridges with them is among the last things I want to do. And I already told my supervisor I was hired at UPS and have to choose between the two jobs. She gave me an extra shift to entice me to stay, but it's still less pay and only part time.

If I have a chance at full time with UPS, I want to take it. If I crash and burn, I want to be able to go back to my current job. I don't see a lot of job opportunity for me elsewhere in my city.