Help with LLY.

Jetboat1

I work part time at UPS . I own 1033 shares of Eli Lilly stock. It is far and away my largest holding. How do I deal with this. The weight loss drug is bringing in big revenue. The Alzheimer's drug might or might not hit. How do I balance paying the taxes on the large capital gains on my LLY holdings against the future gains on the stock?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I work part time at UPS . I own 1033 shares of Eli Lilly stock. It is far and away my largest holding. How do I deal with this. The weight loss drug is bringing in big revenue. The Alzheimer's drug might or might not hit. How do I balance paying the taxes on the large capital gains on my LLY holdings against the future gains on the stock?
Wish I knew…

You don't have to pay anything until you sell it

Up In Smoke

Don't sell. They are also in trials for a breakthrough diabetes drug and infant hearing drug, this stock is well on its way to 1000 per share.

badpal

How old are u and what you pay for it? Its kinda crazy i was just talking to my 92 year old dad yesterday who has owned drug stocks for 50 years just for the dividends.. Lily going crazy like it is got him in same boat as you. He said he gonna just hang on and let mother nature take care of his tax burden.

badpal

But with the cap gains tax still low might be prudent to slowly take some off the table. I sure every other drug company working on the same thing. Kinda like NVIDIA 100s of company's out there working on a better chip.

badpal

The old wall street saying does holds true. Bulls make money, Bears make money, but pigs can get slaughtered. Congrats and good luck.

Up In Smoke

Let us not forget that the OP also owns 1800 shares of UPS that he was looking to sell 2025 options with. That's over a million with just two stocks.

Jetboat1

My cost basis is low around $33 A share. The company spun off Zimmer which makes cost basis difficult I sold the Zimmer and took all the cost basis on that sale.

Jetboat1

Let us not forget that the OP also owns 1800 shares of UPS that he was looking to sell 2025 options with. That's over a million with just two stocks.
Never did sell the calls on ups shares. Would have to transfer shares to an outside brokerage account.A big hassle. Would have been better if a did.

Jetboat1

You put away 200 A week for 15 years it adds up! Bought my first ups shares on 03-2007. 30.1220 shares at $ 63 A share for total investment of $1900.40.

Jetboat1

The lowest price I paid for my UPS shares was on 03-10-2009 for $41.22 A share all thru Computershare. If you invest over time it pays off!