Here we go again...robots

rod

Retired 22 years
I think they are getting closer to a robot delivery driver--or at least a helper.

neat trick at the end

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I heard a rumor yesterday that they are trying to make more hubs automatic. It is sad. Makes me a little bit nervous about our future. Well actually alot nervous.

It's not like you will lose half the jobs in the building. Sorters and pickoffs will be cut but they add back tending jobs to offset some of the losses. I think our smalls also lost about 1/3 of their people even though the smalls volume is crazy...For these buildings to run correctly over 50% of the building will be run through smalls. Sometimes you send a bag with 3 pieces in it, packages in smalls are that large. I've done 400 bags in a 3.5 hour shift before, it sucked!

Loading is much better since you no longer have to scan packages before you load them.

Also, be prepared to wear earplugs...It's quite a bit louder and they are mandatory for inside workers in my building.

oldngray

nowhere special
New wave of robots set to deliver the goods

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-robots-goods.html

thegoalforst.jpg

clean hairy

It's missing weapons to fend off dogs.
What happens when it makes a delivery in the country to a place plastered with "No Trespassing" signs, and some geezer holding a shotgun sees this thing approaching?
It will be able to deliver a Treadmill or irregs, such as a car exhaust?

clean hairy

Interestingly, in todays paper dallasnews.com on the front page of the Business section, is an article about robots replacing some of the humans in the oilfield.
Perhaps a person more advanced than me can find and post a link to the article?

El Correcto

god is dead
01010011 01110100 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110010 01100101 00101110

km3

I think our smalls also lost about 1/3 of their people even though the smalls volume is crazy.

Interesting. My building recently (October) upgraded to Next Generation Small Sort, and it forced them to increase the staffing plan by a factor of 50%. A plan of 20 on preload turned into a plan of 30, and a plan of 40 on other shifts turned into 55-60.

Supposedly we're supposed to begin automation here within the next 3.5 years. I'm not too worried. Nobody wants to work here anyway. They had to offer a bonus for the second half of last year to retain people. What began as a $70 bonus became $150, and eventually $250. Per week.

I plan to be gone by then, but I don't think my job will be at risk even if/when it does happen. Truth be told, we need a new building. We're over-capacity every damn day of the year.

PT Car Washer

Interesting. My building recently (October) upgraded to Next Generation Small Sort, and it forced them to increase the staffing plan by a factor of 50%. A plan of 20 on preload turned into a plan of 30, and a plan of 40 on other shifts turned into 55-60.

Supposedly we're supposed to begin automation here within the next 3.5 years. I'm not too worried. Nobody wants to work here anyway. They had to offer a bonus for the second half of last year to retain people. What began as a $70 bonus became $150, and eventually $250. Per week.

I plan to be gone by then, but I don't think my job will be at risk even if/when it does happen. Truth be told, we need a new building. We're over-capacity every damn day of the year.
Is the bonus paid to new PT employees?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

We went from the NGSS to the new thing that scans and dumps them in their correct bag. I think it's called a tilt tray sorter. The link is similar but obviously much larger. Whatever it's called it can sort some serious packages.