Hiring relatives

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heck we had mother & son working the same hours, another father & son as driver and preload, cousins working on the same shift, another mother is clerical and her daughter is HR .
Honestly I wished a few more of my relatives would apply here, so they could just how hard & degrading it really is.

rod

Retired 22 years
My brother-in-law and I both worked together as drivers at the same center for over 25 years. There was never any problem except he was always a suck up:happy2:

DS

Fenderbender
Quigley,things vary from state to state and each area has its own contract regarding specific issues.Talk to your shop steward,he can get you a copy of the contract.Otherwise just have your son apply and see if they hire him.

rocket man

YOUR a feeder driver you must have some years in answer your own question . get your head out of your a..... ask a ....steward

UPSn00b

boxchucker
My dad works in feeders, and I joined the company in 05 as a helper. I was hired part-time permanent on the preload in 06 as an unloader. Two months later I was "promoted" to a part-time sup. on the preload.

There is no problem with hiring family, I think the rule of thumb is that as long as you're not directly or indirectly supervising your relative, there shouldn't be a problem. It took a lot of research by the HR guy to figure this out, but it all worked out in the end.

It's a company policy, not a teamsters policy, so it shouldn't vary much from buillding to building, or region to region. Just make sure your HR person knows their stuff...sometimes, they're not in the know on some of this stuff....just quote some policy book from UPSers and you should be OK.

P.S. I'm no longer a PT Sup....greener pastures in TSG for me!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
P.S. I'm no longer a PT Sup....greener pastures in TSG for me!

Now that I've picked myself up from the floor from LAUGHING....are you in school? Or is this a full-time gig? If this is your full-time gig, look through the BC archives. You'll find some very unpleasent things that have happened to TSG in the last 18 months. I wouldn't want any part of it....-Rocky

There is something writen in the policy book about relatives working. You can find on upsers.com. Says something like relatives of a center manager on down can work for the co.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I had a relative that worked in Plattsburgh, and had tried to get on here in Albany and was told I would have to wait until he retired.....he did.....they hired me.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I don't think there is a written policy. I would go over that HR reps head. At our hub, the policy was no relatives for years but it changed about 6-7 years ago.......there were sisters working at same hub before policy changed......everyone knew they were sisters and nothing was said.....i think it depends on who you are (unfortunately)....i know of a lot of feeder drivers who have children working in the hub and on preload.....
I know of 2 girls who are sisters that shift on the daysort.....and it does depend on who you are:peaceful:

mikestrek

What is the policy now on hiring relatives? I`m a feeder driver and my son wants to work part time in the same building. Where can I find the policy in writing, there is nothing in the contract that I can see.
Thank You Quigley
Here in California, We have a feeder driver that has a son working the pre-load. No big deal.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nobody in my family wants to work for UPS. Neither of my two sons would consider putting in an application.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is actually dating the daughter of one of my former supervisors, who is now working in corporate in Atlanta: in fact, my son and girlfriend are moving to Atlanta (Henrietta) later this year and I am hoping that her Dad can get my son in to UPS on a part-time basis, if only for the benefits. He wants to continue his education, which I fully support, but finding a part time job that offers benefits of the caliber that we receive is nearly impossible so I am urging him to use her Dad to try to get in to UPS. I couldn't get him in up here because they don't hire relatives if their shifts overlap and since we only have the preload, driver, and metro shifts there is no way that he would get in up here. My daughter has her degree, as do I, but unlike me she is actually going to use hers for more than filling a frame on her office wall.

code5

I once got my brother hired in a nearby city, but it was really hush-hush and I really had to pull a few strings. The only way we pulled in off is because he is a half brother with different last names.

It didn't turn out too good because he hated the job and the only reason he was hired was based on my reputation as an employee. I was only told good things about him, but through the grapevine I heard he was a bad hire. He didn't last long. He admitted the job isn't what he wanted.

I was talking to a DHL employee the other day and she said her centre was filled with relatives and everyone walks on eggshells because they are scared of hurt feeling and can only say certain things.

I agree with not working with relatives.

UPSn00b

boxchucker
Now that I've picked myself up from the floor from LAUGHING....are you in school? Or is this a full-time gig? If this is your full-time gig, look through the BC archives. You'll find some very unpleasent things that have happened to TSG in the last 18 months. I wouldn't want any part of it....-Rocky

Yeah, I was well aware of the downsizing, and the drama of TSG long before I even applied. It's my full time gig, and it is by far the easiest job at UPS. Yes, I know we're the first ones cut during a crisis, but I'm in a unique situation, the details of which I can't fully expand on. Lets just say, I'm pretty sure if there is a next round of cuts, I wont be on it.

TSG is awesome, and you're just jealous! :D

I personally couldn't have been any part of Full Time Supervison....or really driving for that matter. To each his own I suppose. Unlike the two positions I just mentioned, I'm not beat up every morning on a conference call, or by a center manager trying to squeeze every ounce of life out of me. My management team works with me, and doesn't micro-manage me.

I'm fully convinced that most of the complaints you hear from TSG folks are from the guys who were hired as TEMPS back in the late 90's and didn't come up through the system. They wouldn't last a day in Operations....seriously.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread....my bad!