Holiday Tips

T

tahoepickup

This is our second year using UPS for our pickup service and we've had great service from the staff (drivers, hub people, etc.). I was wondering, what kind of tips (gifts, $$$, etc.) do you usually get during the holidays from your vendors?

A

antimatter

It really depends on your driver. Find out (if you can) your driver's likes, hobbies, etc. This can help narrow the selection. Gift certificates (to a store or restaraunt) are always good, too. He/she will probably get a ton of candy from other customers, so you may want to avoid that.

It is a very nice gesture on your part and I'm sure your driver will appreciate it.

A

T

toonertoo

Gift certificates are wonderful gifts. As is the favorite beverage of choice :-). I have always appreciated just being thought of, with any gift. And of course "green is always good"!!!!

T

tahoepickup

Yup! Cash is KING!!!
clapbounce.gif
So what do you guys think would be a reasonable amount ($20? $40? etc?) and what have you guys received from previous years?

T

toonertoo

I think it all depends on you. Obviously you are interested enough that you even ask, so whatever you do will be just great. I have had people give me money at residences where I never expected a dime, and businesses where they ship thousands of packages, and management doesn't do a thing the hourly get us a box of candy, or a gift certificate. And some just do nothing, because they say we get paid for what we do. And we do. It is the spirit of the season, and I think most will agree, its just nice to be remembered. Do what you can, and it will be appreciated, trust me it will be. Big or small. There is no set amount. I still favor on the side of gift certificates myself, because when I get to go to a special place, I remember why I am there, and sometimes money just goes, but thats just me. If hes a tool kind of guy, get him one from one of those places. Or even one from your own business if hes into what you carry is great too.

L

local804

Cash is always good......I make sure I claim all of my tips when I file with the IRS at the end of the year.

D

dammor

We don't deliver pizzas, we deliver packages and are paid well to do so. If someone wants to show thier appreciation for a job well done I would be happy with a card and a smile. (Just a smile will do.) And there is nothing wrong with candy. I got a plate of homemade cookies from a little old lady last year and it warmed my heart more than I can say.

T

tahoepickup

We try to give everyone who provides our business with service (Post Office clerks, bank tellers and our UPS driver last year, mail carriers, etc.) with holiday gifts since I know that they serve thousands of people, but hardly get the thanks they deserve. And guess what, whenever I have any issues with those businesses it gets taken care of right away and with a smile. It just makes the exchange a little more personal than the usual "here you go." I understand that it is "their job anyway," but I sure can't stand it when I get "attitude" from any service provider.

Just the other day, we had accidentally left our trash cans in front of our pickup area and my driver cheerfully moved them for me. I really appreciate little things like that.

(Message edited by tahoepickup on September 03, 2003)

(Message edited by tahoepickup on September 03, 2003)

T

tieguy

Why dammor why would you possibly take gratuities from little old ladies. After all you are doing your job. Nothing more.

J

ja7618

After 24 yrs as a driver, many of my husband customers know our family well. We have gotten many different types of gifts. Most give him gift cert. His customers have also given our children wonderful high school and college graduation gifts. That was truly a surprise and way beyond anything we would have ever though of.

C

clarkie

And there's nothing wrong with the driver giving the customers a token of appreciation, too. My accounts got a package car one year and a DJ race car last year. Thankfully, I've only got 16 pickups, that could hurt if I had 60...

U

ups_vette

tieguy:
Some people get a lot of joy from the act of giving. A little old lady who takes pride in her baking and wanting to share is just one example.

It would be rude and thoughtless not to accept her gift. Knowing the pleasure she receives from her gesture would be an insult if not accepted.

T

tieguy

Vette I agree 100 percent , just returning a little torment to the tormentors.

R

rushfan

It used to be common practice to tip for any service. Man, your driver is lucky to have you.

T

tahoepickup

So we're getting ready to hand-out our holiday tips this year. Our hub is going to get muffins. Driver's going to get cash and chocolate (he'll probably have loads by the time the holidays are over)
grin.gif
. Trash driver gets cash and muffins. Bank tellers, post office clerks, newspaper delivery... all get chocolates!

So, what have you guys received from your pickups so far?

T

tomb

I carry dog treats for the pooches on my route. Today, after I gave 2 dogs at one place their treats, I received a plate of hot out or the oven, chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal cookies. Man o man, were they good!!! They didn't last very long, it was freaking cold today.

On a day like today, anything warm was great!

Tom B