Home defense weapon preference

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
For me, I'd start by trying to keep the bad guy out. I think a sign like this would make an intruder think twice.
image.jpg

If someone does get in, i agree. Pump action shotgun is the way to go.

Rainman

Its all good.
A pistol of some type supplemented with a few knives placed in strategic areas around the house. Throw some lead at the intruder to hopefully scare him off, but the knives would come in handy if you ran out of ammo or couldn't get to your gun in time.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The 38 is intriguing cause i think my wife could handle it easier than a shotgun. Probably get both.
You can't go wrong with a revolver. If you want to carry it I'd get a hammerless. If you find a gun you like just go on youtube and see if this guy has reviewed it. https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45/videos The guy does good reviews and reviews as many guns as he can get his hands on.

Brownsfan

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I ended up getting a Springfield xd 9mm pistol. I just loved how it felt in my hands.
I almost bought a mossberg 519 but instead purchased a shorter barrel for my Remington 870. Time to by a bed side safe, a holster and I'll be be on my way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 183

O/C

I have three Mossberg 500 12 gauge which is voted the best home defense weapon by most people.
I have a pistol grip and 2 regular stock.
The pistol grip presents the best home defense setup but the kick is really terrible. I wrapped a doubled-up wash cloth and taped around the back of the pistol grip. This keeps it from bruising my hand. Didn't bother me as much at 40 but does at 60 years old.
I alternate sabot slugs and #00 buckshot.
I also have a 2 20 gauge Mossbergs that has much less kick and my wife can tolerate it. It is plenty to stop if you use slugs and buckshot #3. I have 2 of these - a Mossberg Maverick 28"with a full stock and a Mossberg Youth with a shorter stock and 22" barrel. The Youth comes in a 4 shot pump version and a 6 shot as I remember ... I have the 6 shot version.

Note: I chose 20 gauge over .410 due to gun costs and ammunition cost.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have nothing but Youth with the 22" barrel ... handle it like a pistol grip.
I can hang the youth in a loop on my right hip and have 6 inches or more clearance from ground. I like this when I am clearing brush or hiking through heavy tree/brush - I call it my snake gun.
Note: I say this with the following qualification - Home defense and snake gun is my use. If you want to use for bird (dove, etc) hunting or other hunting, I have to defer to others with experience in this area.

I also have four 9mm I use mainly for carry and on-road motel defense. I will go for a shotgun every time over a pistol if I can choose.
Damn..pity the fool that breaks into your home. I live in a village, a farm community everybody carries and home safe. I inherited a WW 2 1911 45, a M-1 carbine and a 12 gauge shotgun, ammo included, got them beside the bed. I hope I will never have to use them, they do provide a sense of security.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
Its just common knowledge around here that every home probably has weapons. You have to be incredibly stupid to break into someones house here but ..........they do still live among us. Every once in a while 1 or 2 of them get taken out of the gene pool.

bbsam

Staff member
I was looking into handguns and for personal defense this morning and came across a couple sources that said revolvers are becoming more popular due to their simplicity and effectiveness. Any truth to that?

oldngray

nowhere special
Revolvers are always a good choice because they are so simple and easy to use. Possibly people started overlooking them with the rise in popularity of autos but if more inexperienced shooters are buying something for home defense then it wouldn't surprise me if many chose a revolver.

bbsam

Staff member
Revolvers are always a good choice because they are so simple and easy to use. Possibly people started overlooking them with the rise in popularity of autos but if more inexperienced shooters are buying something for home defense then it wouldn't surprise me if many chose a revolver.
Ah. That makes perfect sense.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you aren't an accurate pistol shooter a shotgun would be a good choice-----although if you were shooting from your recliner you would probably have some door trim work to do.

Brownsfan

I got the alarm system put in today. So far so good, my house is really long. It's nice to know what's going on the other side of the house and the garage. Plus it gives me time to get the shotgun with the buckshot un kid proof.