How long do you wait?

9.5er

How long do you give your customers at a regular pick up to get their packages ready?
The route I covered today has 18 pick ups. 3 of them did not have their stuff ready to go when I got there.(Yes I was with in the pick up window) Two of them are normally ready so I didn't stress too much. One pick up makes it a normal thing to say they are working on one more box.
I'm an easy going, laid back kinda guy and try not to let the job get to me. Just wandering if these customers are taking advantage of my kind nature.

Indecisi0n

Show up to your pickup late. So say if the guy normally makes you wait 10mims and his schedule is 5:00 and you get there at 5:00 then start showing up at 5:15. When he asks why you are so late say "when I'm on time you make me wait so I figured I'd give you more time to get ready". If he isn't ready at 5:15 then 5:30....and repeat. Most business will comply because they want to leave on time. Only time this will backfire is if the company is open late/all night.

scisector9

I'm a cover driver and I will wait and or come back to a pick up stop most times if they are not ready. With Orion now a days one day you can be scheduled at a pick up at 300 the next day at 330 and the next at 245. We still are a service company. No shippers, no work. Just my thoughts. Totally different story if I am on a rural route, but most all of the rural shippers are super laid back and or on area. Now if I had my own route I may try harder to train my customers or keep a more consistent schedule.

Cheers.

9.5er

Love that place but every time I eat there I end us :censored2:ting fire the next day. I love their spicy wings.
I stick with medium just for that reason. I don't eat ice cream (Cheech and Chong ref.) so I try to keep my bbq sauce on the cooler side.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Depends on how my schedule is going. Most of my places are ready on time. They know the schedule. Even on Fridays my customers know that I may come by early and to be ready. It's Friday, we all want to get done early.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm a cover driver and I will wait and or come back to a pick up stop most times if they are not ready. With Orion now a days one day you can be scheduled at a pick up at 300 the next day at 330 and the next at 245. We still are a service company. No shippers, no work. Just my thoughts. Totally different story if I am on a rural route, but most all of the rural shippers are super laid back and or on area. Now if I had my own route I may try harder to train my customers or keep a more consistent schedule.

Cheers.
Lol MOST rural shippers. Made the pick up I despise the most today. Pulled 80 miles round trip to make this pick up.

Today I'm 3 minutes late and they were calling in wanting to leave. Never fails if I'm 5 minutes early ill sit there half an hour til they finish.

BrownTexas

I'm a cover driver so I usually just wait. I can't fix a route in the week I will run it. If it were my own route people would fall in line or be left without a shipper.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If I had a delivery company and got this "we're not ready" song and dance 3 times I would blacklist them from any future pickups for 90 days. Customers like that spoil it for everyone else and kissing ass is not profitable. Tough crap.

kingOFchester

I'm a cover driver so I usually just wait. I can't fix a route in the week I will run it. If it were my own route people would fall in line or be left without a shipper.

Yup, its not like they have other choices. Those white trucks driving around are just a rich guys idea to give the illusion that there are other options for shipping.

Market share is over rated.

Last edited:
If I had a delivery company and got this "we're not ready" song and dance 3 times I would blacklist them from any future pickups for 90 days. Customers like that spoil it for everyone else and kissing ass is not profitable. Tough crap.

Lol. Two different people almost simultaneously showing just how full of crap they are.