How Low Can You Go?

JustAnIrregularGuy

It's Bulkamania, brother!
This is my first thread, so I'll ask plainly upfront:

Is "Area Seniority" real?
If I transfer to a different shift (and even keep my position), do I now abide by Transfer Date instead of Start Date?
I see zero language in our contracts about this, so I'm fairly certain that it doesn't exist - I just want to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:

Nah
This is my first thread, so I'll ask plainly upfront:

Is "Area Seniority" real?
If I transfer to a different shift (and even keep my position), do I now abide by Transfer Date instead of Start Date?
I see zero language in our contracts about this, so I'm fairly certain that it doesn't exist - I just want to hear what you guys think.
Varies from one location to another.

When I was PT I transferred shifts twice, and retained the same seniority date (start date).

When actually working, and this is not the case for a lot of locations represented by people on this board, you could pull seniority to determine which job or trailer you were in (provided you were qualified to do the job). But like I said, for a lot of places that's not the case.

The best answer you're gonna get is directly from your business agent. I'd advise contacting him instead of listening to people here.

JustAnIrregularGuy

It's Bulkamania, brother!
Perhaps the full story would paint a better picture:

All names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I signed a request form to move from an Afternoon Sort to our Morning Sort and by circumstance I was able to keep my position on my area's bulk belt. Four other employees I know all did the exact same thing (just at different times) and by pure coincidence we are now all in the same area 2 years later.
Lately, there's been a rift between two of these specific employees: I'm calling them Randy and Felix.
Randy transferred to the area before Felix, but Felix has more Building seniority overall, and so Randy was "bumped" by Felix.
Randy made a stink and called down our (new) BA, and he confirmed what Randy wanted to hear: our Area Master List must now incorporate Transfer Date instead of Start Date, regardless of anything else.

All of management (in the area) was happy to finally displace those who had actually been flexing their rights, unironically the same employees with the most Building seniority, because Randy got this BA to flip everything upside-down.

Nah

I signed a request form to move from an Afternoon Sort to our Morning Sort and by circumstance I was able to keep my position on my area's bulk belt. Four other employees I know all did the exact same thing (just at different times) and by pure coincidence we are now all in the same area 2 years later.
Lately, there's been a rift between two of these specific employees: I'm calling them Randy and Felix.
Randy transferred to the area before Felix, but Felix has more Building seniority overall, and so Randy was "bumped" by Felix.
Randy made a stink and called down our (new) BA, and he confirmed what Randy wanted to hear: our Area Master List must now incorporate Transfer Date instead of Start Date, regardless of anything else.

All of management (in the area) was happy to finally displace those who had actually been flexing their rights, unironically the same employees with the most Building seniority, because Randy got this BA to flip everything upside-down.
It sounds like you have your answer then. Arguing with your BA won't get anyone anywhere.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I would ask the BA to explain this with contract language, panel decisions, past practices, etc. If he can't ask him to let management know he was wrong and that the union will be enforcing accordingly. If the BA can't/won't do that, talk to your principal officer to get an explanation. If appropriate, file a complaint with the eboard regarding the situation.

I have had to argue language with my BA before. I never had to go over his head. I have been able to get him to see the reality of the situation.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Maybe I’m getting confused with area seniority. I was told that switching shifts you lose the seniority. Like if you were top seniority in unload twilight you cant go to the Night Shift and expect to be the top guy still. That’s how it was explained to me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Maybe I’m getting confused with area seniority. I was told that switching shifts you lose the seniority. Like if you were top seniority in unload twilight you cant go to the Night Shift and expect to be the top guy still. That’s how it was explained to me.
Ask whoever explained it to you to show it to you in a contract book

nWo

If youre in unload what would have top seniority do for you? You are picking boxes up and sitting them on a conveyor.

542thruNthru

You're not wrong.
Screenshot_20220624-124949_Adobe Acrobat.jpg