How much water should an unloader bring?

helenofcalifornia

The woman that died from drinking too much water was from Sacramento. It was a radio contest for tickets or an Ipod or some such thing. The deejays were told by nurses that called in while the contest was going on about the dangers of drinking too much water, but the contest went on. And she died leaving a husband and kids. I don't think anyone at UPS has to worry about drinking too much water while working if they just listen to their bodies.

thebrownbox

The woman that died from drinking too much water was from Sacramento. It was a radio contest for tickets or an Ipod or some such thing. The deejays were told by nurses that called in while the contest was going on about the dangers of drinking too much water, but the contest went on. And she died leaving a husband and kids. I don't think anyone at UPS has to worry about drinking too much water while working if they just listen to their bodies.

She was trying to win a Nentendo Wii I've gotten sick my turning left and right too quick.. but I should of never skipped breakfast that morning..

kene1024

The radio station stunt was called "Hold your wee for a Wii" - the idea was to see who could drink the most water without having to urinate. That's what caused the hyponatremia - too much water in the body. If you are peeing or sweating it out, it's pretty hard to kill yourself by drinking too much water (not impossible, but you have to really want to do it).

And yeah, the moronic DJ's ignored the advice of a nurse who called in and told them it was dangerous. Idiots.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Never heard about that california woman.
My example was about a cambridge ma woman from about ten or so years ago. A health nut who believed that water was all one needed to live.

Mike Hawk

As you said....there are a ton of different answers out there. I got this off of UPSers.com.

You should drink approx. 4 to 5 eight oz. glasses of water per shift.

My suggestion would depend on the heat and physical exertion you expend. This is what I try to do. ultimately you need to look at your own body type, the way in which you expend heat through perspiration and how much energy you expend during physical exertion.
Next time you visit a doctor ask this same question!

For myself I use this...
Rule of thumb --> Drink one 8 oz glass of water for every 30-45 minutes of work. You can adjust this based on the heat, exertion and your ability to adapt to those conditions.

Carry the water with you - do not rely on a drinking fountain. I was also told by a doctor that water was the best hydrator. (sooo that means less "Gatorade" type drinks and more water)

Another thing - the colder the water, the more energy is needed to expend it. I was told by a doctor that drinking cold water during a meal inhibits proper digestion. Room temp is better!

Gatorade is not bad, it is good for a body that is sweating. You loose a lot of electrolytes in your sweat and water does not replace them. Look up Hyponatremia. He is right about water being the best hydrator, but water and electrolytes helps more.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
i read something in a science journal talking about drinking too mutch water can cause hyponatremia?

Those are extreme cases and usually result from other things as well. If one waits until thirsty, you are already dehydrated. I drink close to 2 gallons a day even in the winter. I weight train and am a preload part time supervisor. I have yet to have any problems from drinking water nor have I known anyone who has.