how to become a pt sup

kenmei

in the interview they told me after 40day i can apply for it.
when i ask the ppl in the hub ,they told me 3months
who no the requirement for pt sup.write it detailly plz.
i ask some of the sup there,they all say very easy.
i really confuse about it

W

westsideworma

working here long enough to understand the operation helps too, others may argue otherwise. If you don't know the job, no one is going to listen to you. Actually most people don't listen anyways.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
in the interview they told me after 40day i can apply for it.
when i ask the ppl in the hub ,they told me 3months
who no the requirement for pt sup.write it detailly plz.
i ask some of the sup there,they all say very easy.
i really confuse about it
it won't be long,seems to me he already has the qualifications !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Overpaid Union Thug

Typically the requirements are the same as the requirements to become a Marine. You need two arms, two legs, and a pulse. The only difference is you have to write a letter stating that you want to, and why you think you are qualified to be, a part-time supervisor. I don't mean to be negative about it but based on all the people I have seen hired over the years my assumption can't be far off. The first building I worked in once preferred that a part-time sup be attending college but that requirement slowly fell by the wayside years ago. No matter what the requirement are in your area I'd still suggest that you at least have experience in the job you might be supervising.

i wan be pt sup to.

Seriously though, I am also considering moving into part-time supervising. I'd like the extra cash and it would look nice on a resume. I talked with some of the supes at my hub and they said there isn't much of a learning curve. I am a sorter and I ran missorts for a while (I've only been there for a month in a half) so I feel like I know the hub alright.

Anyways, what those supes said was that the most important aspect of being a supe is being able to take and put up with a hell of a lot of bull****. Feeder drivers complaining about the loaders moving slow, management complaining about injuries, misloads, improper footwear, etc. etc., some can handle it, others can't.

If you are patient, able to bite your tongue when necessary, and likable enough to where your loaders (or sorters) will actually care at all about what you say then I bet you would make for a good p/t supe.

-Stephen

Be carefull, If you want to stick with ups for the long haul, and want to be able to make a living at big brown. PT sup may not be the smart route. With the new contract agreement, their maybe something like a 10 to 1 ratio to go driving down the road. Until July 31, 2008 it is 6 to 1 I believe.

toeknee2gx

i wan be pt sup to.

Seriously though, I am also considering moving into part-time supervising. I'd like the extra cash and it would look nice on a resume. I talked with some of the supes at my hub and they said there isn't much of a learning curve. I am a sorter and I ran missorts for a while (I've only been there for a month in a half) so I feel like I know the hub alright.

Anyways, what those supes said was that the most important aspect of being a supe is being able to take and put up with a hell of a lot of bull****. Feeder drivers complaining about the loaders moving slow, management complaining about injuries, misloads, improper footwear, etc. etc., some can handle it, others can't.

If you are patient, able to bite your tongue when necessary, and likable enough to where your loaders (or sorters) will actually care at all about what you say then I bet you would make for a good p/t supe.

-Stephen

depends on your career goals. The best thing to do is to talk to as MANY FT and PT sups as possible, then evaluate your own goals. I noticed you mentioned management @ UPS looking good on a resume so Im assuming youre in it for the experience. If thats the case, then go for it. Its will not be easy @ all. And thats why it will look so good on a resume :tongue_sm. Other employers know and they love that..

Lobofan5

why? it sounds like he has college/career goals in mind. Supervision will look much better on a resume than "i sorted boxes for 5 years".

College goals?

DID YOU READ HIS ORIGINAL POST?

Better look to a Junior College first to brush up a bit on grammer and spelling.

FromBluetoBrown

i wan be pt sup to.

Seriously though, I am also considering moving into part-time supervising. I'd like the extra cash and it would look nice on a resume.

-Stephen

From what I have seen and maybe each area is different but the sups dont make all that much money. I work about 50 hours a week as a loader and I bring home way more then a supervisor does.

helenofcalifornia

Read the thread "Moving to supervisor...need advice." UPS Lifer had some EXCELLENT advice for a rookie wanting to know if he should make the move from blue collar to white. And he won't kill you about spelling either.