How to lose your GFT [Long post]

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From a GFT letter posted on the web, link to follow. This is a more extreme example but the mindset and attitude is fairly common for those in the GFT process.

I am writing you to initiate the third step of the GFT process. My name is Paul Liestman. My employee number is 24699. I am currently unemployed after having worked at Federal Express for 15 years.

The details of my case have been fully presented in steps one and two of my GFT. I have documented my high worth and exceptional value to the company, based upon my many years of excellent service, experience, and professional relationships I have built with my customers. As previously attached and submitted, you are aware of the many commendations issued me in the past, as well as my outstanding work and attendance record.

Not bad but too much "LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL."

And you are aware of the attached letter written in my behalf by Tracey Robertson, Sprint Department Coordinator, who was the initiator of the POD trace delivery in question. Said Ms. Robertson, "I was very happy that he had left the package… and it could not have waited until the next day. As far as I am concerned Paul went above and beyond the call of duty to be of assistance in this situation… He is always very pleasant and attentive to our special needs in this particular location." Her statements are in direct contrast to Bill Eultgen's comments in his letter of February 13, 1998, alluding to this incident having created a "very dissatisfied" customer. Based upon her letter in my behalf, the customer obviously does not believe I should be fired over this incident. Ms. Robertson indicated to me that FedEx in fact had done far worse things in the past, that I was not a part of, that had indeed caused her greater dissatisfaction than momentarily not knowing the location of the package in my situation Ms. Robertson invited you to telephone her at (913)624-1375 if you had any questions regarding this matter. I encourage you to do so to clarify her perception of the event, and to find out her true opinion as to what constitutes a dissatisfied customer.

Fine, with the exception of the bold parts. It's not a good idea to tell them that you shouldn't be fired because a customer says you shouldn't.

My motives were not selfish. My "numbers" did not benefit from my action. I only was trying to make the customer happy, which throughout my 15-year career, has constantly been emphasized as the cornerstone of FedEx's business philosophy. In my mind I was delivering the "golden package" to a highly valued customer. I left it in a secure location, accessible only to the recipient. No loss was sustained, and the customer, as she herself stated, was happy with the end result. If this makes me a throwback to the old school where the customer's needs were always placed before everything else, I'm guilty.

This is bad. No, it's horrible and terrible because the courier knows what he did was wrong and he knew it when he did it and he won't take ownership of it. He's trying to put it off on the customer.

This fool has set himself up to be eviscerated were he making this argument in person. A much better way to handle this particular point: "I was not doing this for any type of personal gain but for the benefit of a customer. Unfortunately I went about it in the wrong way and violated our policy. I'm thankful that the outcome was positive for the customer but that doesn't justify my poor decision and I understand why I'm being punished but am asking for a less severe punishment."

Otherwise, the guy is going to be eviscerated:
"I place the customer's happiness and needs above all else."
Does that mean you commit this violation all the time to keep customers happy?
"Of course not!"
Why not?
"Uhh... because it's against policy."
Then why did you do it this time?

NEVER try that when you're in a GFT situation.

I am increasingly aware of the many mixed signals at IXDA and throughout the entire Federal Express corporation regarding the subject of "falsification." It would appear that in FedEx's zeal to maximize performance through "numbers," an atmosphere has been created whereby both managers and hourly employees alike feel pressured to "give them what they want." This often means, in practice on the local level, that methods are widely being used that are not in keeping with the expectations and policies of upper management.

As evidence I submit the attached sheet which indicates numerous instances where managers tolerate, encourage, and even themselves practice falsification, and yet keep their jobs. If I, in such a short time and with such few resources, can accumulate this much information, how widespread indeed must this problem be throughout the entire Federal Express system? Much of this type of falsification even occurs routinely at IXDA, with full managerial knowledge and approval, per the same attached sheet.

What is the point of this? It doesn't make you look good. It has nothing to do with your case. All it does is to illustrate that you're not taking ownership of something you know you did that was wrong.

Because managers at IXDA often give mixed signals concerning proper procedures, a settlement was reached in the case of IXDA courier Mike McClintock employee #13006 [reference his GFT filed June 9, 1997]. This settlement was meant to address the problem of improper release procedures by setting up special training for IXDA employees. To my knowledge, and to grievant Mike McClintock's knowledge, this POD training was never conducted, and if it was, I for one never received this special training. By not living up to its part of the settlement, IXDA management de-emphasized an issue that now seems to be raised nationwide amongst older, high seniority Federal Express workers. Further, per the attached sheet, IXDA management itself has issued mixed signals by issuing instructions and/or tolerating "falsification" by employees.

Monumentally stupid. If he's making an argument that release procedures were unclear and he wasn't properly trained then this would be bolded, highlighted, in all caps, underlined, etc. But he's not making that argument and earlier justified doing what he did under the guise of being a "throwback to the old school."

I firmly believe that this matter would best be solved by means other than termination. Termination benefits neither myself, Federal Express, nor lastly and perhaps most importantly, the customer. My fifteen years of experience cannot be duplicated by a less senior employee who in all likelihood would assume my responsibilities. Then you have to consider the loss of customer comfort and confidence by replacing me with a total stranger. It takes years to develop this sort of relationship. I am told by couriers who have filled in on my route during my absence that many, many customers ask about me.

First two sentences are fine, the rest sounds like desperation.

Because it is.

The lesson of my error could have been constructively and appropriately addressed by means of the lengthy suspension without pay I have suffered. Indeed, in the March 5 Kansas City Star, one of ten "people" oriented strategies observed by Southwest Airlines [Fortune Magazine's top-rated business in America to work for] is: "Be flexible; do the right thing rather than adhere to the rules. Forgive mistakes." Instead, management chose to terminate me on the exact anniversary date of the beginning of my 15-year relationship with Federal Express. They have likewise apparently challenged and deprived me of drawing unemployment after I filed for assistance. Such vindictive punishments obviously dot not fit the so-called crime.

After EIGHT paragraphs of making excuses, blaming others, and red herrings, the NINTH paragraph begins with the admission of an error. It is immediately followed by his belief that he should be forgiven by FedEx because of a philosophy followed by Southwest Airlines. And of course there's the accusation that FedEx is being vindictive.

If you just wanted to teach me a lesson, that has already been accomplished. If you wish to draw the attention of other employees at IXDA, that has likewise been accomplished. I apologize for making my mistake, and certainly urge others not to do so. It seems to me that the rehabilitation of an experienced and above-average employee would be of mutual benefit to the company and my customers, as well as myself.

This is an excellent paragraph. By itself it's almost enough to make some at this level of a GFT seriously reconsider the punishment. Sadly, this one paragraph of seemingly humble contrition after nine paragraphs of excuses and finger-pointing only goes to show that he's not being genuine at all. How can I believe that you learned a lesson after all you've done to deny responsibility?

So I have to ask myself "why" management at Federal Express is being so inflexible and unfair to a loyal and outstanding employee who admits to having made a mistake. I hope that the reason isn't what a lot of people are suggesting-- that management is targeting older, "slower" employees in order to replace us with younger, stronger, and faster people in their twenties. I have been made aware of the fact that statistics and evidence are being compiled throughout the FedEx system that indicates I perfectly meet the profile of the "targeted" employee-- I am 42 years of age, and have a relatively high seniority of 15 years.

If such indications prove true, Federal Express has opened itself up to a lawsuit of gigantic proportions. My case, where I am being handed a far more severe punishment than managers who repeatedly engage in similar falsification activity [remember, see the attached sheet], also fits the profile of an employee being discriminated against because of my age. Once such a nationwide lawsuit hits FedEx, the subpoenaed evidence that might be acquired during the legal discovery process could be astounding, as hinted at by my attached instances of double standards engaged in by Federal Express management.

I cannot understand WTF is to be accomplished here. NO IDEA. The end of your letter should be the one that drives your point home and will leave a lasting impression that will hopefully influence their decision. The previous entry would have been a GREAT place to end. Granted most of the letter is bad, but at least you would have ended on a fairly high note.

But no. It was not to be, for you CAN'T STOP THE BLACK HELICOPTERS. WHY?? WHY?? WHY?? WHY?? Your GFT is a request for a reduction (or elimination) of punishment. It is NOT a platform for crazy allegations and threats of lawsuits.

But there's more! Paul didn't dig his hole deep enough with the letter alone, he also had an attachment.

I had nothing to gain personally from mistake. However, it appears that managers in many parts of the country routinely falsify information, to their personal benefit in response to the pressure of meeting production standards. I am grateful to the many Federal Express workers who have brought these instances to my attention. I now bring them to your attention. Some of these cases are of course known by upper management. The others will need to be investigated further.

Ignoring the fact that this is just silly, the "It's always wrong except when I do it" mentality never works.

Without having full details, I list several instances {not included in post, click the link at the end} passed on to me of FedEx managers involved in falsification that you either are already aware of or, if not aware of, you should definitely investigate. I apologize in advance if there are any inaccuracies.

If you don't have the full details and you can't vouch for the accuracy, why include it? Ignoring that this serves no purpose at all, it says "I don't know what I'm talking about, but here goes!"

And last but not least, at my station IXDA/Lenexa, Kansas--

What follows is a list of accusations against his managers. If you were still undecided, this has to convince you that the guy is just really stupid. Again, nothing here helps his case. Nothing. No complaint that he didn't know how to do whatever he did that was wrong. Nothing to suggest that management told him to do what he did or suggested that it was okay. Nothing. He throws his managers under the bus and then asks to be allowed to go back to work for them again.

How well would he expect them to treat him, should he return? I don't know.

If you ever find yourself in a GFT situation, look at this guy's letter. Don't do what he did.

DON'T:
Make excuses.
Avoid responsibility.
Make random accusations.
Be tempted to think that you can make yourself innocent by making enough other people guilty.

DO:
Be honest.
Take ownership and apologize for your actions.
Be brief and concise.
Stick to the relevant facts.

Remember, this is an opportunity for you to give them a reason to reduce your punishment, not a forum for you to unload on everyone with whom you have issues. One of the more common mistakes is that people try too hard to convince the GFT people. You want the person reading your letter or hearing your case to question the decision of your manager, not you and your motives.

UnionYes
UnionYes

Oldfart

Too long for me to read. Did the guy release a DSR or sign for the customer? If so, too bad so sad. Enlighten me if he did something else.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
From a GFT letter posted on the web, link to follow. This is a more extreme example but the mindset and attitude is fairly common for those in the GFT process.

Not bad but too much "LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL."

An attempt to show his 'value' to the company possibly meets or exceeds his violation.

Fine, with the exception of the bold parts. It's not a good idea to tell them that you shouldn't be fired because a customer says you shouldn't.

Agreed. A simple reference to the customers' statement of support should suffice.

This is bad. No, it's horrible and terrible because the courier knows what he did was wrong and he knew it when he did it and he won't take ownership of it. He's trying to put it off on the customer.

Agreed. Self-justification by blaming the company? Arrogance.

What is the point of this? It doesn't make you look good. It has nothing to do with your case. All it does is to illustrate that you're not taking ownership of something you know you did that was wrong.

Didn't Mom always ask you if you would jump off a cliff, too?

Monumentally stupid. If he's making an argument that release procedures were unclear and he wasn't properly trained then this would be bolded, highlighted, in all caps, underlined, etc. But he's not making that argument and earlier justified doing what he did under the guise of being a "throwback to the old school."

I knew, but I wasn't aware.

First two sentences are fine, the rest sounds like desperation.
Because it is.

Can't improve on your statement.

After EIGHT paragraphs of making excuses, blaming others, and red herrings, the NINTH paragraph begins with the admission of an error. It is immediately followed by his belief that he should be forgiven by FedEx because of a philosophy followed by Southwest Airlines. And of course there's the accusation that FedEx is being vindictive.

There you go. Southwest Airlines is awaiting you with open arms.

This is an excellent paragraph. By itself it's almost enough to make some at this level of a GFT seriously reconsider the punishment. Sadly, this one paragraph of seemingly humble contrition after nine paragraphs of excuses and finger-pointing only goes to show that he's not being genuine at all. How can I believe that you learned a lesson after all you've done to deny responsibility?

Uh, can you say 'Too little, too late.' ?

I cannot understand WTF is to be accomplished here. NO IDEA. The end of your letter should be the one that drives your point home and will leave a lasting impression that will hopefully influence their decision.

Because he hasn't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

But there's more! Paul didn't dig his hole deep enough with the letter alone, he also had an attachment.

I've heard of suicide by cop, but suicide by attachment???

vantexan

GFT's can be useful. As a domiciled courier I had been dealing with a coworker who brought my freight constantly taking close to 1.5 hours to arrive when it was a 55 minute trip. He was taking care of personal business and since two thirds to three quarters of the freight he brought was mine he wasn't concerned at all with the time he had to get his work done. After 7 months of him snorting and laughing it off I finally said something to my mgr. After he got talked to about it he was infuriated. Was snarling at me when we met that morning and really went after me that afternoon. After about 20 minutes of berating me I lost it and said ":censored2: You!" I got a warning letter.

So how was the GFT useful? I openly admitted I said FU but it gave me the chance to tell the director what I had endured, way more than just him showing up late. Things going on that the mgr turned a blind eye to. When it was over my mgr had to rewrite the warning letter, and the guys at that little no mgr no csa station had to sign off on a statement involving racism and treatment of coworkers. That mgr and the senior got reamed, and they never screwed with me again. And I even held back on the thing that might have gotten them fired, saving it for another time, but telling the senior I was aware of what they had done.

So if you're going to GFT, make it count, because the last thing mgrs want, including directors, is for negative things to get past their level and up the chain to Memphis.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
On the bright side, that guy Paul is probably dead by now, or at the very least long-since forgotten his awful dream.
Judging by his employee # and his oft-mentioned 15 (at that time) stellar years of service, that GFT had to have occurred some 20 years ago - when it was still actually a job worth fighting to retain. Now it’d be more like “wait, you’re firing me after 15 years of dedicated service?.....well, OK then”

outtatime

7 years have passed with this guy's GFT and you quit and now you're researching GFT in your spare time. That's your contribution to the forum newbies? I trust you "quitting" about as much as following your advice for a GFT.
From what I gathered based on that low of an employee number and he said he already worked there for 15 years, plus he mentioned a letter dated in early '98 I would say this occurred almost 20 years ago!!

59 Dano

7 years have passed with this guy's GFT and you quit and now you're researching GFT in your spare time.

For one, it's not a 7 y/o GFT (it's from the 90s).
For two, it's the only GFT I've ever known to be posted publicly.
For three, it's spectacularly bad and is the worst GFT I've ever read in my life.
For four, it is a case very near and dear to the heart of a prolific mentally instable poster on this forum.

That's your contribution to the forum newbies? I trust you "quitting" about as much as following your advice for a GFT.

I may not be able to sleep tonight.

59 Dano

From what I gathered based on that low of an employee number and he said he already worked there for 15 years, plus he mentioned a letter dated in early '98 I would say this occurred almost 20 years ago!!

Accuracy is not one of muckduck's strong points.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
For one, it's not a 7 y/o GFT (it's from the 90s).
For two, it's the only GFT I've ever known to be posted publicly.
For three, it's spectacularly bad and is the worst GFT I've ever read in my life.
For four, it is a case very near and dear to the heart of a prolific mentally instable poster on this forum.

I may not be able to sleep tonight.
You must not have a whole lot to do at this so-called "new job" of yours. That is until someone in the restroom is yelling for another roll of toilet paper.