How would you handle this?

PTer4Ever

My username is old...I am now a combo employee so I stand my whole shift in small sort without a break (I leave for my lunch 10 mins early) and I get the 10 on the preload. He only gave me a hard time about sitting because I told him I wouldn't go to the secondary for him.

I didn't think sitting for a minute during breaks in the flow was a big deal, but I understand. My pt has no problem with it. Standing on grating for a few hours is hell on your back and knees so since I can no longer sit I will request a fatigue mat.

He still was out of line for the way he talked to me. I felt a lot better after I vented on here. In all honesty I just want to be left alone to do my job.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My username is old...I am now a combo employee so I stand my whole shift in small sort without a break (I leave for my lunch 10 mins early) and I get the 10 on the preload. He only gave me a hard time about sitting because I told him I wouldn't go to the secondary for him.

I didn't think sitting for a minute during breaks in the flow was a big deal, but I understand. My pt has no problem with it. Standing on grating for a few hours is hell on your back and knees so since I can no longer sit I will request a fatigue mat.

He still was out of line for the way he talked to me. I felt a lot better after I vented on here. In all honesty I just want to be left alone to do my job.
So the story you posted is old? I don't get it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
can they do that? i have had gone several times over 4 hours without break and my feet were just killing me, no supervisor in sight for the whole time.
i have even gone 5 hours a couple times without break cause some a-hole supervisor trying to look and kissing up to management for doing his hours.
seriously we need something were we can just tell the supervisor that we have to take our break and they cant say anything against it if its after a certain time or can we file a grievance if they do that?.

If it is habitual I would say file on it. In the contract it says the 10 minute break is to occur between 2nd and 3rd hour. UPS can not force you to work over 3 hours without a 10 minute paid break.

That night I missed a break, it was 3 1/2 hours at $35.20/hr and also the 30 minutes OT for over 10 hours penalty pay. I was compensated for the backache and hunger from a late break.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
PTer4Ever, why not take this concern to your Health & Safety Committee? You should be entitled to be as comfortable as you wish, so long as you get the job done. That's what the science of Ergonomics is all about.

The only thing that the "safety committee" will do....is to spend 3 years talking about it. The actual problem will never get solved, but they might eventually come up with a Nine Point Ergonomic Commentary that we will be required to memorize and repeat. And then we will get a sticker and a muffin.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The only thing that the "safety committee" will do....is to spend 3 years talking about it. The actual problem will never get solved, but they might eventually come up with a Nine Point Ergonomic Commentary that we will be required to memorize and repeat. And then we will get a sticker and a muffin.
That baby avatar of yours reminds me of this guy, from the movie Total Recall. I keep meaning to say this but get caught up with something else.

[video=youtube;xO1kKemcwYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1kKemcwYk[/video]

dillweed

This morning on the preload I had a run-in with a full time sup. I work in the primary as a SPA clerk. I had just finished getting crushed on my belt and my pt sup diverted my volume to the other belts and walked away. I've been hurting lately so I took a seat on one of the slides. FT is on the catwalk above me and asks me if I'm familiar with the secondary (he cut too many people and they were getting hammered). I told him no. He asked me if I would be interested in going up there. Again I told him no.

Just for a bit of background- normally I would have been more than happy to go help out. He's asked me before to help unload after I was off the clock and on my way out and I obliged. I'm SPA only so I didn't have to help him out. When I asked for a morning off thinking that he might scratch my back since I scratched his, he told me no. Thus my refusal this morning.

He then went on a tirade about how he was paying me to sit around and do nothing. I told him that I did not control my flow and that my belt was running. He then said that I was not allowed to sit and that he never wanted to see me do that again. "It is disrespectful to your fellow employees that are actually working." He then asked me twice in a nasty tone "Do you understand me?" I was livid but bit my tongue. My pt came back and gave me more volume to scan.

This guy comes up there about once every 3 months. I'm sore and tired just like everyone else, except I actually come to work. We were down 4 people already out of 9 because he let 3 go home and one is on vacation. My pt knew I was hurting but didn't ask me if I wanted to take a paid actual. My total scans and PPH are tops in my area and I copied the numbers down from the computer to prove it.

I was going to go talk to the Package Center manager but he was gone today. I could and should probably just let this go but I have a real problem with people insulting my work ethic. If I didn't come in every day and/or sucked at my job I could understand it.

Oh dear, you sat down because you had no volume and were hurting. Honey, I hurt every day but don't sit down. Didn't get up at 3:00AM to sit down. Got up to move pkgs.

FT sup shouldn't have asked you to help another area, should have TOLD you to do it. And you should have been looking for something to do.

You are SPA and don't have to help anyone out? Phooey, you are a paid employee and should do whatever they tell you to do. Just make sure you get the extra $1 per hour if it's skilled.

FT sup asked you if you understood, you probably didn't give him the respect of an answer. Doesn't matter if you respect the man or not, you will respect his position. Livid because you are told to work? Go home and sit on the porch.

Your pt didn't offer you the day off when they weres shorthanded. Bummer

Let it go, stay off your butt and help your neighbors. Most of all, don't expect anyone take care of you. You get paid by the hour, work by the hour.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Oh dear, you sat down because you had no volume and were hurting. Honey, I hurt every day but don't sit down. Didn't get up at 3:00AM to sit down. Got up to move pkgs.

FT sup shouldn't have asked you to help another area, should have TOLD you to do it. And you should have been looking for something to do.

You are SPA and don't have to help anyone out? Phooey, you are a paid employee and should do whatever they tell you to do. Just make sure you get the extra $1 per hour if it's skilled.

FT sup asked you if you understood, you probably didn't give him the respect of an answer. Doesn't matter if you respect the man or not, you will respect his position. Livid because you are told to work? Go home and sit on the porch.

Let it go, stay off your butt and help your neighbors. Most of all, don't expect anyone take care of you. You get paid by the hour, work by the hour.
:rofl::peaceful:

brownrodster

3 years on the preload in various areas and I never sat down, unless I was on break. That's just how it is.

Back when I was PT a new DM (don't know if it was district or division because I don't know the difference between the two) came to our building and was walking around, introducing himself and talking to people. One of our clerks was sitting on a large package while using his computer. The new DM walked up to him, introduced himself, shook his hand and walked away. I nearly pissed myself from laughing.

PTer4Ever

Good for you for being able to tough it out all the time. I do the best I can but I'm not impervious to arthritis. I already posted that I understood about sitting and wouldn't do it again.

He could have TOLD me, and I would work first and grieve later. The job I bid on was SPA only. There were others there that morning that could have gone (not SPA only) but he didn't ask nor tell them. I also don't think you understand that there isn't anything else I could possibly have done in the minute that my flow was actually turned off. The other belts around me were staffed. If the person behind me is not there (she was this morning) I will ALWAYS go over and help out. Since I was the only one on my belt it's not like I could walk away for more than a minute before my flow gets turned back on. Even so, if there was anything else I could have done then I would have. I didn't turn off my flow nor asked for it to be.

I'm all about helping out my fellow coworkers, which I do on a constant basis. I'm not into doing favors for people that insult, disrespect, or forget what I have done for them in the past.

You're darn right I didn't give him the respect of an answer because he didn't give me any respect with the way he talked to me. Again, I was livid because of his tone and the way he tried to belittle me. It had NOTHING to do with work. Maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't have cut half the secondary and then ask other areas to go cover for his screw up? Areas that are already short themselves?

Shorthanded AFTER they cut a bunch of workers after I was already there. ::shrug:: Happens quite often, and will again, but no biggie. My point was that I could have used the morning off while the usual suspects took off. At least I got my hours.

dillweed

PTer4Ever - thanks for replying. My post was harsh, if not rude.

As for toughing it out all time, I can't and don't.

It does sound as if FT may have had a bug up his butt and wanted to pass it along.

Actually, I've had a few run ins like that myself and apologize for picking your post apart.

Seems like after many years as a ptimer I've lost some compassion. While on the clock, it's just hard ass survival mode. If I didn't leave my true nature at the timeclock they'd make me cry. :peaceful: