I need guidance, and advice very badly.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
This may be confusing to some and it may be lengthy but I really need my fellow UPSers help on this one. Preferably seasoned veterans of UPS. Here goes.

About 3 weeks ago I got a phone call from HR and they are in need of Feeder drivers. She stated my name was on the Feeder bid. Our building is very large and we are in the process of expanding so they need 30 new drivers as soon as possible. I am part time and have been with the company for 12 years, I am a shifter and have been one for 7 years. Back to my talk with HR, she tells me that full timers, and package are turning down feeder positions so they are going to part timers for feeder school. She said that they are basically taking people as soon as they get their stuff in. They are going by seniority but only as people turn in their Class A permit, DOT, and drug test, as soon as they turn that stuff in they are putting them into class. This is a very rare situation, which I nor any higher seniority has seen. I was number six on the part time list.

So skip ahead 4 days, I pass my Class A with flying colors and I have all my stuff, I turn them in and I'm ready to go. She fills out my uniform info and I go about my way. Now skip ahead a week. HR calls and tells me "Oh, we made a mistake, you signed the Feeder bid sheet not the part time to full time bid sheet, and that is what we are pulling from, we are sorry."

So I tell her I sign everything that comes across the table, I literally do sign every piece of paper that comes out, even if I don't want the job I sign it, I have always done this. She tells me no my name isn't on the part time to full time list, I tell her she is mistaken and she tells me to come into HR and I can look over the list myself. I ask her when did the bid come out. She tells me it came out Dec 13.... I had emergency surgery Dec 13 and was out of work until Jan 13. I had appendicitis and I had to have my appendix removed and I was out of work for a month. I literally worked through the pain two days before it burst (because I'm stupid) and finally that Friday Dec 13 I had to have emergency surgery to have my appendix removed. I tell HR this and they call and ask the Labor Department and they tell me "I had to been active during that time to sign the bid sheets. There is nothing I can do." . So you can imagine I was pretty heated at this point, and I have been ever since. I have been with UPS for 12 years and have never been out of work for more than a week, for vacations and the one time I get sick and have to have surgery I miss this one opportunity to get something I actually want. So I call my union rep. And I explain the situation to him, he gives me the typical file a grievance and well see what we can do. He also lied to me, he told me he has never heard of anything like this happening and winning.

So a co worker of mine was out for two months for a knee injury, came back filed a grievance and had his name put on all the bid sheets he missed. This was a month and a half ago, so why he lied to me is a mystery. This sort of gave me a bad taste after I was lied to. So lets move on ......

There is a manager I have a lot of respect for, he has always been an upstanding guy, strange I know, but I ask him if he can do anything, and he actually tries his hardest to help me out, I'm sure he is doing things on the down low to try to help me out. He has actually done more for me my entire career than any union steward has. He tries and tells me there isn't anything he can do and he tried his hardest and I believe him. Whether this was a good idea to get him involved or not I'm not sure but I wanted to try anything.
I have never been fired, and I've only been written up over minor things, and that hasn't happened in 8 years. I work every day, I still have days left at the end of the year, I come in early and work late when asked, and I usually always play ball. I'm not really a hard worker but I'm consistent and I just feel really betrayed by all this. I was one of the first people to get all my stuff together and turned in, and I was ready to rock that Feeder school and next thing you know I'm dealing with all this, while people are just blowing by me. Also the first week and half I was dealing with a certain HR woman, then after that I was dealing with a new HR woman who apparently has no clue what she is doing, which I also didn't like that.

Friday I heard they had an employee scheduled to go to Feeder school Monday, and the woman didn't even have a drivers license, to even drive a regular car, I'm not even making this up, how is this even going on? I've had a couple of employees tell me to call the UPS 1800 number and make a complaint on the woman, I do know that 1800 number does bring down some pain on management but I don't see how that would help. I did fill out a grievance, but I told the union steward to hold on to it until Monday.
I wanted to come on here and ask you guys what would be my best course of action. I can't have missed this guys. I have hated myself for the past 4 days. I have beaten myself up over it, there is literally nothing I could have done, I could have came in to work Dec 13 and died, but as long as I signed that bid sheet that would have been okay right? I just can't imagine that was my chance and its gone because of something like that. You know if this was something small, like car wash or fueler I wouldn't have complained, I hate complaining and I hate making excuses, I'm not that guy, I come to work, I take care of my family, and I get things done. I hate that I'm in this situation, and I hate that I'm upset about all of this. Is there a way to get a re bid? Should I file the grievance? Also If I file that grievance I will be bugging the mess out of my union rep. I just don't want to have to wait 3 months until he gets around to doing anything. By the way I have hardly any faith in my union rep or the stewards, they are usually pretty passive about everything, and it seems to me like they don't like anything that requires work. The few times I have came to them they have never helped. By the way I rarely go to them, I hardly ever have problems and if I do I try to fix them my self.

Also I wanted to add in the 12 years I've been at UPS this is my first grievance I have ever filed. Do any of you guys have any advice at all? Am I screwed? Can I fight this at all? I'm sorry for my wall of text and I know a lot of it might have been pointless to write but honestly I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry if I come off as a cry baby at all, I hate being THAT GUY, but this just pisses me off. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

trickpony1

I read it and my eyes hurt.
Exhaust your efforts with the union first then, if your situation isn't corrected, file with the Dept. of Labor and/or the NLRB.
The union is good at some things but not so good at others.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Talk to your steward first. If it were me n I had my eyes on a bid like you did, maybe would have called center like day after surgery if I was feeling good and talked to supe or called steward and told him you would like to sign list and maybe they could have signed it for you. Or found out if that scenario could work. Hang in there dude, youll get there. Just have patience and keep up your perserverance. We all get knocked down just have to get up and keep on truckin homeboy. Isnt that the purpose in life, is to work hard to get where you need and want to go in life instead of not having to work hard and having everything handed to you too easily. Its going to work out for ya:laughing2:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
images59O8K5PV.jpg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This may be confusing to some and it may be lengthy but I really need my fellow UPSers help on this one. Preferably seasoned veterans of UPS. Here goes. About 3 weeks ago I got a phone call from HR and they are in need of Feeder drivers. She stated my name was on the Feeder bid. Our building is very large and we are in the process of expanding so they need 30 new drivers as soon as possible. I am part time and have been with the company for 12 years, I am a shifter and have been one for 7 years. Back to my talk with HR, she tells me that full timers, and package are turning down feeder positions so they are going to part timers for feeder school. She said that they are basically taking people as soon as they get their stuff in. They are going by seniority but only as people turn in their Class A permit, DOT, and drug test, as soon as they turn that stuff in they are putting them into class. This is a very rare situation, which I nor any higher seniority has seen. I was number six on the part time list.
So skip ahead 4 days, I pass my Class A with flying colors and I have all my stuff, I turn them in and I'm ready to go. She fills out my uniform info and I go about my way. Now skip ahead a week. HR calls and tells me "Oh, we made a mistake, you signed the Feeder bid sheet not the part time to full time bid sheet, and that is what we are pulling from, we are sorry." So I tell her I sign everything that comes across the table, I literally do sign every piece of paper that comes out, even if I don't want the job I sign it, I have always done this. She tells me no my name isn't on the part time to full time list, I tell her she is mistaken and she tells me to come into HR and I can look over the list myself. I ask her when did the bid come out. She tells me it came out Dec 13.... I had emergency surgery Dec 13 and was out of work until Jan 13. I had appendicitis and I had to have my appendix removed and I was out of work for a month. I literally worked through the pain two days before it burst (because I'm stupid) and finally that Friday Dec 13 I had to have emergency surgery to have my appendix removed. I tell HR this and they call and ask the Labor Department and they tell me "I had to been active during that time to sign the bid sheets. There is nothing I can do.". So you can imagine I was pretty heated at this point, and I have been ever since. I have been with UPS for 12 years and have never been out of work for more than a week, for vacations and the one time I get sick and have to have surgery I miss this one opportunity to get something I actually want. So I call my union rep. And I explain the situation to him, he gives me the typical file a grievance and well see what we can do. He also lied to me, he told me he has never heard of anything like this happening and winning. A co worker of mine was out for two months for a knee injury, came back filed a grievance and had his name put on all the bid sheets he missed. This was a month and a half ago, so why he lied to me is a mystery. This sort of gave me a bad taste after I was lied to. So lets move on, there is a manager I have a lot of respect for, he has always been an upstanding guy, strange I know, but I ask him if he can do anything, and he actually tries his hardest to help me out, I'm sure he is doing things on the down low to try to help me out. He has actually done more for me my entire career than any union steward has. He tries and tells me there isn't anything he can do and he tried his hardest and I believe him. Whether this was a good idea to get him involved or not I'm not sure but I wanted to try anything. I have never been fired, and I've only been written up over minor things, and that hasn't happened in 8 years. I work every day, I still have days left at the end of the year, I come in early and work late when asked, and I usually always play ball. I'm not really a hard worker but I'm consistent and I just feel really betrayed by all this. I was one of the first people to get all my stuff together and turned in, and I was ready to rock that Feeder school and next thing you know I'm dealing with all this, while people are just blowing by me. Also the first week and half I was dealing with a certain HR woman, then after that I was dealing with a new HR woman who apparently has no clue what she is doing, which I also didn't like that. Friday I heard they had an employee scheduled to go to Feeder school Monday, and the woman didn't even have a drivers license, to even drive a regular car, I'm not even making this up, how is this even going on? I've had a couple of employees tell me to call the UPS 1800 number and make a complaint on the woman, I do know that 1800 number does bring down some pain on management but I don't see how that would help. I did fill out a grievance, but I told the union steward to hold on to it until Monday. I wanted to come on here and ask you guys what would be my best course of action. I can't have missed this guys. I have hated myself for the past 4 days. I have beaten myself up over it, there is literally nothing I could have done, I could have came in to work Dec 13 and died, but as long as I signed that bid sheet that would have been okay right? I just can't imagine that was my chance and its gone because of something like that. You know if this was something small, like car wash or fueler I wouldn't have complained, I hate complaining and I hate making excuses, I'm not that guy, I come to work, I take care of my family, and I get things done. I hate that I'm in this situation, and I hate that I'm upset about all of this. Is there a way to get a re bid? Should I file the grievance? Also If I file that grievance I will be bugging the mess out of my union rep. I just don't want to have to wait 3 months until he gets around to doing anything. By the way I have hardly any faith in my union rep or the stewards, they are usually pretty passive about everything, and it seems to me like they don't like anything that requires work. The few times I have came to them they have never helped. By the way I rarely go to them, I hardly ever have problems and if I do I try to fix them my self. Also I wanted to add in the 12 years I've been at UPS this is my first grievance I have ever filed. Do any of you guys have any advice at all? Am I screwed? Can I fight this at all? I'm sorry for my wall of text and I know a lot of it might have been pointless to write but honestly I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry if I come off as a cry baby at all, I hate being THAT GUY, but this just pisses me off. Any advice would be appreciated.
Didn't know I was going to read the ECYCLOPEDIA BRITTANICA on a Sat night, that blowz dude lol. Just playin witcha dude lol

BrownChoice

Man, that really does suck. Forget the others who like to bit$h.. Only thing you coulda shoulda woulda done is letting your steward know if any bids go up to call you right then and there. Even a buddy co-worker.

Now you just gotta try and keep trying, you might get the solution your hoping for, and you might not..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Didn't even attempt to read its confusing because all your paragraphs seem to be missing.
First things first. Edit your post into comprehensive paragraphs. Until then, 90% of us won't even read it.

It wasn't that bad of a read. Basically HR made an honest mistake for which the OP may lose his chance to go to Feeders during this bid cycle.

To the OP----file the grievance based on the fact that you are an otherwise eligible employee who was unable to sign the bid sheet due to your emergency surgery.

Good luck.

This may be confusing to some and it may be lengthy but I really need my fellow UPSers help on this one. Preferably seasoned veterans of UPS.

Here goes. About 3 weeks ago I got a phone call from HR and they are in need of Feeder drivers. She stated my name was on the Feeder bid. Our building is very large and we are in the process of expanding so they need 30 new drivers as soon as possible.

I am part time and have been with the company for 12 years, I am a shifter and have been one for 7 years. Back to my talk with HR, she tells me that full timers, and package are turning down feeder positions so they are going to part timers for feeder school. She said that they are basically taking people as soon as they get their stuff in.

They are going by seniority but only as people turn in their Class A permit, DOT, and drug test, as soon as they turn that stuff in they are putting them into class. This is a very rare situation, which I nor any higher seniority has seen.

I was number six on the part time list.
So skip ahead 4 days, I pass my Class A with flying colors and I have all my stuff, I turn them in and I'm ready to go. She fills out my uniform info and I go about my way.

Now skip ahead a week. HR calls and tells me "Oh, we made a mistake, you signed the Feeder bid sheet not the part time to full time bid sheet, and that is what we are pulling from, we are sorry." So I tell her I sign everything that comes across the table, I literally do sign every piece of paper that comes out, even if I don't want the job I sign it, I have always done this.

She tells me no my name isn't on the part time to full time list, I tell her she is mistaken and she tells me to come into HR and I can look over the list myself. I ask her when did the bid come out.

She tells me it came out Dec 13.... I had emergency surgery Dec 13 and was out of work until Jan 13. I had appendicitis and I had to have my appendix removed and I was out of work for a month. I literally worked through the pain two days before it burst (because I'm stupid) and finally that Friday Dec 13 I had to have emergency surgery to have my appendix removed.

I tell HR this and they call and ask the Labor Department and they tell me "I had to been active during that time to sign the bid sheets. There is nothing I can do.". So you can imagine I was pretty heated at this point, and I have been ever since. I have been with UPS for 12 years and have never been out of work for more than a week, for vacations and the one time I get sick and have to have surgery I miss this one opportunity to get something I actually want.

So I call my union rep. And I explain the situation to him, he gives me the typical file a grievance and well see what we can do. He also lied to me, he told me he has never heard of anything like this happening and winning. A co worker of mine was out for two months for a knee injury, came back filed a grievance and had his name put on all the bid sheets he missed

This was a month and a half ago, so why he lied to me is a mystery. This sort of gave me a bad taste after I was lied to. So lets move on, there is a manager I have a lot of respect for, he has always been an upstanding guy, strange I know, but I ask him if he can do anything, and he actually tries his hardest to help me out, I'm sure he is doing things on the down low to try to help me out.

He has actually done more for me my entire career than any union steward has. He tries and tells me there isn't anything he can do and he tried his hardest and I believe him. Whether this was a good idea to get him involved or not I'm not sure but I wanted to try anything.

I have never been fired, and I've only been written up over minor things, and that hasn't happened in 8 years. I work every day, I still have days left at the end of the year, I come in early and work late when asked, and I usually always play ball. I'm not really a hard worker but I'm consistent and I just feel really betrayed by all this.

I was one of the first people to get all my stuff together and turned in, and I was ready to rock that Feeder school and next thing you know I'm dealing with all this, while people are just blowing by me. Also the first week and half I was dealing with a certain HR woman, then after that I was dealing with a new HR woman who apparently has no clue what she is doing, which I also didn't like that. Friday I heard they had an employee scheduled to go to Feeder school Monday, and the woman didn't even have a drivers license, to even drive a regular car, I'm not even making this up, how is this even going on?

I've had a couple of employees tell me to call the UPS 1800 number and make a complaint on the woman, I do know that 1800 number does bring down some pain on management but I don't see how that would help. I did fill out a grievance, but I told the union steward to hold on to it until Monday. I wanted to come on here and ask you guys what would be my best course of action.

I can't have missed this guys. I have hated myself for the past 4 days. I have beaten myself up over it, there is literally nothing I could have done, I could have came in to work Dec 13 and died, but as long as I signed that bid sheet that would have been okay right? I just can't imagine that was my chance and its gone because of something like that.

You know if this was something small, like car wash or fueler I wouldn't have complained, I hate complaining and I hate making excuses, I'm not that guy, I come to work, I take care of my family, and I get things done. I hate that I'm in this situation, and I hate that I'm upset about all of this. Is there a way to get a re bid?

Should I file the grievance? Also If I file that grievance I will be bugging the mess out of my union rep. I just don't want to have to wait 3 months until he gets around to doing anything. By the way I have hardly any faith in my union rep or the stewards, they are usually pretty passive about everything, and it seems to me like they don't like anything that requires work. The few times I have came to them they have never helped

By the way I rarely go to them, I hardly ever have problems and if I do I try to fix them my self. Also I wanted to add in the 12 years I've been at UPS this is my first grievance I have ever filed. Do any of you guys have any advice at all? Am I screwed? Can I fight this at all?

I'm sorry for my wall of text and I know a lot of it might have been pointless to write but honestly I just don't know what to do. I'm sorry if I come off as a cry baby at all, I hate being THAT GUY, but this just pisses me off. Any advice would be appreciated.

QKRSTKR

I'll say I feel very bad for you, this totally sucks.

To the best of my knowledge you are not eligible to sign a bid sheet if you are on disability of any kind. You must be able to fill the position immediately. Look at it this way, what if I had surgery and a bid went up next day, I sign it but my recovery will be 6 months. Kind of defeats the purpose of the company needs people now, not in 6 months. Have seen it happen before and senior people get passed over due to the fact they were on disability. Vacations are different, and you can have a steward sign a bid if you are on vacation.

HR did screw up. That sucks. Especially the fact you were getting something you really wanted.

As far as grievance goes I would file it. You have your stuff turned in, are ready to go. Maybe a deal could be worked out in a hearing since hr did make a mistake. Maybe once list is exhausted they could train you, or if no one else is ready to go. Can't hurt anything at this point.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Sorry about the paragraphs guys, I actually made an effort at one point to use them, but to be honest it was so convoluted, and I was in such a rush to get my thoughts typed out I just made it run together. I apologize for that part, I'm not a writer so I wouldn't have known where to begin to put them in that mess I wrote.

As for calling while I was out, I usually do this if I'm on vacation, I'll text a buddy or call dispatch and ask them, however this time it was the last thing on my mind to be honest. I seriously didn't even think about it. Which is on me.

As far as everything else goes, I'm grateful I have a job, and I will file the grievance and just see how that goes. I will however be bugging the Union Rep until he gives me some info.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
greengrenades the plain simple fact is:

You missed the chance to go full time because you did not sign the bid list, regardless of the reason.

Your grievance has no merit.

I hope another bid list goes up very soon and you can place your name on it.

Good Luck.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I guess it's sort of like playing the same lottery number every week. The one week you are unable to play is the week the number comes up.