I would like to hear some opinions on this.

wkmac

I never said you did but this thread is about what Al Gore said and more importantly to me is that so many people take it as fact. If I put it some other way I do offer my apologies.

OK, no problem but I just saw this:

[you guys will have me to believe what Al Gore says is somehow fact?

and made the assupmtion you were including me in "you guys" based on total context. If you believe that, it's OK as I've been called worse. Besides, I feel I've done good if everyone thinks I'm not with them as this would suggest I've done a good job of bringing the contarian point of view to the mix.

For the record I no fan of Al Gore at all on any level and if you want why then ask I'll tell you. Same principles also apply to Bush and lots of others for that matter. Otherwise I'll leave it there.

BTW: Since you and Jones were arguing over Greenland I just stumbled across this video looking for something else and thought I'd pass it on to you. Yeah, if you have some preconcieved notion about me, I do look and consider both sides but at times I may advocate one or the other just on the principle of being a contraian or just a general pain in the ARSE!
:happy-very::peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm with the guy who said the liklihood of Greenland breaking off and wreaking havoc in the world is basically nil.

I think Al Gore is an alarmist.

wkmac

Again I thought the entire thread was about Al Gore's Global warming impending disaster.

I guess I didn't see it as such because in the big picture of discussing global warming, Al Gore IMO is about as important and relevant as a pimple on an elephant's arse and he's not even the size of a pussed up blackhead! Yeah's it's contary to popular myth but IMO Gore has done with environmental issues what a certain "slogan master" has done with creating an industry around himself using the issue of race relations.

However, I never realized you held Al in such high esteem and importance. I'll do better in the future to remind myself of such fact!
:happy-very:

BTW: You wanna see a real hero of race relations and working to bring folks together? Check out the late Hosea Williams and his annual Thanksgiving dinner for the poor in Atlanta. Now there's you a hero IMO!

av8torntn

I guess I didn't see it as such because in the big picture of discussing global warming, Al Gore IMO is about as important and relevant as a pimple on an elephant's arse and he's not even the size of a pussed up blackhead! Yeah's it's contary to popular myth but IMO Gore has done with environmental issues what a certain "slogan master" has done with creating an industry around himself using the issue of race relations.

However, I never realized you held Al in such high esteem and importance. I'll do better in the future to remind myself of such fact!

BTW: You wanna see a real hero of race relations and working to bring folks together? Check out the late Hosea Williams and his annual Thanksgiving dinner for the poor in Atlanta. Now there's you a hero IMO!

Huh?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

av8torntn,
I don't know who the "slogan master" wkmac is referring to, but I do know who Hosea Williams was. Hosea was a local Civil Rights leader who ran around with MLK and folks like that. In his later years, people would joke about Rev. Williams getting out of DUIs after being found passed out in his Cadillac on the side of the road somewhere. But the one thing he is remembered for his annual feed the needy Thanksgiving dinners. He would organize and feed thousands of less fortunate people. This has become a local Atlanta tradition that is still carried out.

happy harry

I want to know why on Thursday it was like 70 degrees in NY for Thanksgiving and Friday it was like 25 degree. Bitter cold. Just doesnt make sense. Something is wrong. i guess Al Gore can't be all wrong.

diesel96

Reguardless of what you'all think about Global Warming with all these backed scientists on both sides and Al Gore's views on anything chastised by the Right, whats wrong with just demanding legislation towards freeing ourselves from oil, The Middle East, Fricking Chavez, etc.....Before you'all get up in arms, I'm also all for the private sector to take a more agressive lead and innovate new technolgy to ween us off dependence of others, and guess what, it wouldn't hurt the enviorment niether..a win win situation for all. The question is, Can the privateer's and profiteer's ween themselves off the comfort and profits off middle eastern breast milk and break from Big Oil Mama's grasp and leave the nest and fly on their own? Or do we need Big Gov't Poppy to slap the free market upside the head to expedite independence to grow and prosper and flurish more than ever before without the expense of making Shiek's,Shah's, Middle Eastern Oil Princes', Osama's,and wannabe South American Dictators filthy rich. America is what, about 231 yrs old, in dog years thats about 30. So lets wake up, get a life ,and move out of Mama's house and stop being such a dependent Mama's BOY. JMHO...:peaceful:

wkmac

whats wrong with just demanding legislation towards freeing ourselves from oil, The Middle East, Fricking Chavez, etc.....Before you'all get up in arms, I'm also all for the private sector to take a more agressive lead and innovate new technolgy to ween us off dependence of others, and guess what, it wouldn't hurt the enviorment niether..a win win situation for all.

On the one hand, you make a good point, no argument but who owns and controls the legislative process via the K Street lobbyist? Who's likely to craft legislation that in the end will benefit themselves and stick us either back where we are at or in some new situation that screws us over? The history of the last 150 years of this crap is staring us in the face yet we go right back and stick our hand in the same ole' snake hole and then we scream when we get bit! Sorry man, I'm just not going there anymore.

Diesel, the private sector can be done but it does take work, I won't kid you there and it's no utopia either but it can work and at least it doesn't centralize and concentrate power for a small few to manipulate. We lost reality that spread and disbursed power is as much and more so important check and balance than the 3 branches of gov't. Amendments 9 and 10 are just as important and IMO moreso than the doctrine of seperation of powers. Fact is, it's a part of that doctrine. What effect could a VP Dick Cheney and friends have if gov't was limited and divided and those of you terrified at the thought of President Hillary should also ask what would you have to fear of her if said were also true in her case? Changes things a lot doesn't it?

Don't you just hate my guts when I do that crap?

You are 1000% correct that we now live where so problems and solutions intersect and yet we're still to dumb to see it. I've cut my energy use at my home over the last several years by 60% and I'm not done yet. My ultimate goal is to be grid free and it is doable but it does take work and doing some of your own research. And you sit right now before the gateway to the knowledge of how to do it but instead of stepping up and leading, your solution is to have someone else do it for you. And they do it to benefit themselves and not so much to benefit you and your neighbors. Are we again telling Washington that we are stupid sheep and for them to lead us? Seems that way to me!

SLOGAN MASTER! Geez guys, I can't believe you don't know this one.

None other than good ole' Jesse Jackson.

AV8,
The point was that certain politicians create themselves as personalities and therefore create cults of personalities linked to a cause but the ultimate aim is to pull into themselves power and prestige of being at the center of people's attention. They had no musical talents to be rock stars so they became political figures instead!

wkmac

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=495495&in_page_id=1879

This story's been out about 5 days and I thought one of you might jump all over it as a nutty example of the eco crowd. It's a bit extreme IMO but it's her life so I can't argue there. I did like this line from the story however:

Incredibly, instead of mourning the loss of a family that never was, her boyfriend (now husband) presented her with a congratulations card.

Why of course he's happy because he's the cowboy that's now free to ride all night bareback style! YEEEEEEE-HHHAAAWWWWWW!

Look at the bright side, the human gene pool just took a step up!
:thumbup: