If You're a Teamster, WHY Would You Vote Republican?

wayfair

swollen member
So is police officers being unionized bad for crime rates?
Does fire fighters being unionized hamper their ability to fight fires?
Is UPS workers being unionized bad for it's customers?

Teachers are workers, it's not charity. Not sure why Republicans can't understand that. You people seem to think they're nuns or something I just don't get it.
apples man, apples...

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
One of them is going to be the next president.

Pretending like voting for someone else will make a difference in the outcome is just deluding yourself.

Now Hillary will give us 4 more years of Obama's policies and more scandals.

Do you want that?

Trump will try to keep jobs here and bring jobs back.

Trump will also stop the influx of illegals into the country and deport many illegals here opening up jobs for Americans.

You only real choice are those two.

Pick one.

Trump is a Republican and you will get the party along with the candidate...another war and lower taxes to (not) pay for it. But less Mexicans! Yay!

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
One of them is going to be the next president.

Pretending like voting for someone else will make a difference in the outcome is just deluding yourself.

Now Hillary will give us 4 more years of Obama's policies and more scandals.

Do you want that?

Trump will try to keep jobs here and bring jobs back.

Trump will also stop the influx of illegals into the country and deport many illegals here opening up jobs for Americans.

You only real choice are those two.

Pick one.

Trump is a Republican and you will get the party along with the candidate...another war and lower taxes to (not) pay for it. But less Mexicans! Yay!

brett636

Thats an easy question to answer. As a union employee i completely understand how democrats are supposedly my best friend when it comes to my labor status as a union employee. The problem is that in practice that is anything, but true. First off lets examine union membership as a whole. Union membership has been dwindling for decades(peaked in the 1970s). That means that under democrat administrations and Republican administrations unions have made up fewer and fewer people in the workforce year after year. That statistic alone means democrats aren't our friends, but lets look over Obama's term in office to see if he was a friend of unions during his term. During his first two years in office there was a bill proposed that would have made it easier to unionize Fedex. That bill could have passed, but the democrats did little to support it. Since then I have seen little or no effort to further the union cause. Why should I support someone who never backs up their words with actions?

Personally though, I also have many other reasons to vote Republican. There are certain principles that I will not sacrifice like the right to free speech, the right to bear arms, the right to to be free of unreasonable search and seizure, etc. The democrats are on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to supporting traditional American ideals, and therefore I cannot vote against my great country just because I am a member of a union. I know the Republicans aren't perfect either, but atleast they have a record of standing up for these American ideals much more so than the democrats.

Finally I have to prioritize who I am. First and foremost I am a American, then a conservative, then a union member. I can always find another job, but finding another country like this one is impossible. I'll take my chances voting Republican because lets be honest here, they generally support everything that made this country great while the democrats support and represent everything trying to tear it down.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you take away collective bargaining rights, and basically any power the union had, no one in their right mind would continue to be a paying member..... because it's no longer a union. It's just an organization that takes your money and has no legal power to accomplish anything on your behalf.

I'd say they cease to exist because of legislation more than you realize.
They've done that to how many private unions? None ain't gonna happen.

I know lots of die hard Union guys who believe all public unions should be disbanded. If a private Union asks for too much you get General Motors. If a public Union asks for too much you get to pay higher taxes.

Brownslave688

I'm OK with whatever party and candidates will make sure the federal government will stay out of things it's got no business being involved in. I'm OK with unions sticking to union business only and staying out of other issues they've got no business being involved in. They are thinking about themselves. Not the country.

And teachers have no business being unionized. That is just a bad idea. Bad for the kids. Bad for our country. They are only thinking about themselves. Not the country.

And your 1% vs the middle class rhetoric is easily defeated. The middle class is shrinking because more are getting richer. And plenty of them are liberals so you should be happy.
My mother is a teacher. She gets a 6% raise every year in her pension!!!!!!

That's :censored2:ing insane. That's why my property taxes are insane.

Brownslave688

A lot of Republicans in power now don't like Trump.

Are you sure he's a typical Republican?
Of course he isn't. He's freaking independent if he's anything. He was a registered democrat until not too long ago.

Trump is gonna do what trump wants to do. :censored2: party lines.

Overpaid Union Thug

So is police officers being unionized bad for crime rates?
Does fire fighters being unionized hamper their ability to fight fires?
Is UPS workers being unionized bad for it's customers?

Teachers are workers, it's not charity. Not sure why Republicans can't understand that. You people seem to think they're nuns or something I just don't get it.

I don't recall mentioning police and fire fighters but I will play along. Police, fire fighters, and teachers are performing critical work. Particularly police and fire fighters. For them to go on strike is dangerous to the public. For that reason many, if not most of their unions, have a no strike clause in their contracts. As they should.

Teachers are educating our children. I shouldn't have to explain to you how important that task is. Yes, they should be compensated well......if they are getting results. Well, look around. Our schools are failing. Our kids are nowhere near the level of the kids of many other developed countries. It's obvious that unions don't belong in our schools and they don't belong in Washington lobbying. Do you really want teachers unions dictating policies that only inflame an already out of control education crisis? You probably do.

UPS being unionized doesn't even qualify as being an apples to apples comparison in this discussion. So I won't waste my time on that.

Unions simply don't belong in every single sector of our workforce. And they definitely don't belong in specific industries. Particularly when their activity could hurt the general public.

But again......I vote for what's better for our country as a whole. Not selfishly for my union and job. The latter tends to be a liberal trait.

Brownslave688

Let's look at how many public pensions work. They are usually based on your last 3 years salary.

In my moms case as a teacher she gave them 5 years notice of retirement and then they'd give her a 6% raise every year (the max possible) until she retired. This way she would get the largest pension possible.

Correction officers usually pick up as much OT as possible their last 3 years. Employees who made 75k for most of their career are now making 100k+ and that's what their pension is based off of. One they'll start collecting as young as 45 years old.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
MBTA ( Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority ) full retirement begins after 23 yrs of service .
The scam here is that many retirees go on to start other gov't jobs . Thus we have the term double dippers and a few triple dippers .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why do you think you know more than Baba, at least he lives in MA.

I am a native Mass hole and those terms are not exclusive to Massachusetts.

My ex MIL and FIL are/were double and triple dippers, respectively. She receives her govt pension and SS while he received his military and govt pensions and SS.

Normally when a non-military govt employee gets another job with the govt upon retirement their pension from the first job is put on hold and then combined with the pension from the second. Military and government pensions are not combined.