Info on a stolen Sick Day

T

the record will get'cha

Well if that person you described had a long checkered history of attendance problems it is possible that his discipline was farther advanced than you were aware of. Anything is possible at panel but it is pretty unlikely that one no call/no show would lead to termination without previous infractions in a 9 month period. Since you didn't have firsthand knowledge I suspect that is the case. Saying he needed to be off for his wife's surgery is fishy too as that would most likely be covered under FMLA and since it was scheduled surgery there would be plenty of time to apply. FMLA is an invaluable tool to protect your job and I urge everyone to use it and encourage others.

If it's coming from a steward realize that stewards often are not present at the panel hearings. Typically it's the business agent and the aggrieved, then the Company and Union officers of the panel. So the steward hears it second hand too. Usually just enough information is 'leaked' to prevent others from following the same path. It is in the interest of the Union that you go to work also, as it weakens our case at bargaining time when trying to reduce 9.5's etc "Well if your people would just come to work we wouldn't have a 9.5 problem..."

that post relates to the Western & Southwest Package Rider.

Sick days are specifically regulated as such, at 7 per year. After calling in 5 consecutive days management can demand a Doctors note on the 5th day. However, this just guarantees you pay for the time but does not entitle you to to be sick 7 times without penalty. In general practice, management disciplines for more than 3 occurances in a 3 month period. Consecutive sick days are considered one occurance. Tardies, Sick, No Call, all go into the same classification. IMO this conflicts with taking of other defined benefit days such as Optional Holiday, Personal Holiday, and Vacation days; as well as Request Off days, but that is the practice.

There is specific language to prohibit management from coding people off who are not sick because this was used to cover up when they do layoffs in the spring and fall. Problem was that summer would come and drivers who already worked 50 hours by Thursday would be calling in Friday. Management would use those days coded off as 'sick' in the spring to establish an attendance problem when it really was just them "being cool" and giving a driver a paid day instead of laying off the least senior drivers or being forced to reduce everyone's workday to accommodate everyone who demanded their 8 hour guarantee. See what "management being cool" gets ya!

The Sick Day bank is repopulated on the employee anniversary date and days can be banked up to 30. Sick time can be selected during the vacation selection period as a bank of 5 days of "Sick Vacation".

So essentially it is the same as your Option 3 except we have to call in as "sick" not "option 3". We still encourage the members to not give a reason and to grieve any harrassment from management to come in anyway.

Sorry for the confusion, I forget anyone exists west of the Rockies.

I wish we could bank our sick days (option 3) here in the Southern Region. :angry-very2:

brownIEman

Update I got my day back my union rep at the union hall straitend it out he said they can just take days when ever they fell like it and lie to the employee. And they have a policy that they are supposed to be flexable with students.

Good for you. Based on the information, that is what should have happened because that is what your sup told you you would get. Were I the friend/T sup involved, I would have honored what you were told, and then kicked the P/T sups butt for promising that in the first place (in a respectful professional manner of course, but he would have gotten the point).

One question that lingers in my mind - Is the local union where you are in favor of the local policy to be "flexible" with students? I would think they would be outraged at that policy. Flexibility is based on seniority per the contract, and nothing else. If I let you go early one day to attend a class function say, bypassing more senior non-students, I am violating the contract. If I get grieved by allowing you a sched. off when a more senior employee wanted one to whom I did not grant it, would your local union rep really accept my story that you are a student and that is why I gave you special treatment and support me in denying the grievance?

tieguy

Banned
"...told the manager on monday that on thursday he would not be in..."

It is not job abandonment if you tell the manager you're not coming in. Maybe they fired him for taking too much time off (if he did), but that was not job abandonment. The story sounds fishy or incomplete.

In such a case you're better off calling every day. The manager can dictate how frequently you have to call and update him on your situation. So in this case since the manager did not excuse him off until thursday CYA requires you call every day.

Nitelite

In my hub, at least during my shift, it seems to work the opposite. Unless I have requested an optional day or when I call out, I specify I am sick, I will not get a paid day off. Many people on my shift have sick and optional days left still who have called out over 10 times through out the last year. Also, as far as flexibility, this might be a building thing, but here, coming in late, or requesting to leave early for whatever reason is a regular occurrence. In fact, there are a few part timers that work day sort Tuesday and Thursday, but work the twi shift M-W-friend to accommodate school. Of course, my hub is kind of whacky anyways. They give full timers the option of half days almost everyday, yet will take part time extensions to cover them. VLOs are a regular thing also, so a lot of times, when you call out, they will just say they are giving out VLOs will put you in for one.

tieguy

Banned
In my hub, at least during my shift, it seems to work the opposite. Unless I have requested an optional day or when I call out, I specify I am sick, I will not get a paid day off. Many people on my shift have sick and optional days left still who have called out over 10 times through out the last year. Also, as far as flexibility, this might be a building thing, but here, coming in late, or requesting to leave early for whatever reason is a regular occurrence. In fact, there are a few part timers that work day sort Tuesday and Thursday, but work the twi shift M-W-friend to accommodate school. Of course, my hub is kind of whacky anyways. They give full timers the option of half days almost everyday, yet will take part time extensions to cover them. VLOs are a regular thing also, so a lot of times, when you call out, they will just say they are giving out VLOs will put you in for one.

you would wise to stop advertising your fringe benifits. Many labor managers read this site. They would not be happy to hear we are bloating the payroll by awarding request off days in addition to all the vacation, sick and personal days we also give.

SWORDFISH

Poster and anyone reading this post avoid no call no show. Here is an option that most people dont know about and I have not seen anyone mention. Call in at least an hour early and tell them you wont be to work today. That isnt a sick day its just coded as a "called in". Not something to abuse but it would be something you would do in the poster situation w/ out getting yourself into trouble.

gorilla75jdw

wanna know a secret ? the company has a pay code for being " scheduled off" it protects you from dicsipiline and for the most part will protect your sups. (as it gives them an aliby to give to their superiors if your attendance becomes a problem) for the moment . It does exist and can be used (atleast at my hub) Learn to use it and reserve your days for when you need the pay (I undrstand your dilemma) . The company does have the right to use your first 7 missed days as personal/sick (or they do in my area with the unions knowledge) . so another option is never pick the sick/personal day option , just dont miss alot of days period . , juzz sayn. schedule off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wanna know a secret ? the company has a pay code for being " scheduled off" it protects you from dicsipiline and for the most part will protect your sups. (as it gives them an aliby to give to their superiors if your attendance becomes a problem) for the moment . It does exist and can be used (atleast at my hub) Learn to use it and reserve your days for when you need the pay (I undrstand your dilemma) . The company does have the right to use your first 7 missed days as personal/sick (or they do in my area with the unions knowledge) . so another option is never pick the sick/personal day option , just dont miss alot of days period . , juzz sayn. schedule off

It is only fair that optional/personal/sick days be used first before being allowed to use "dead days".

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can't believe I am siding with him on this, but Tie is right. Don't advertise what you are getting away with that others can't. In some centers, you don't have days, you work. Period.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Tie has just taught you a valuable lesson. What the company says, promises, or does does not, in any way, translate into your day to day interaction with management.

Since you only do this once a year, or certainly only once every nine months (check your contract language on the length of time that warning letters are in effect) I would suggest
NOT calling in and NOT showing up.
This is obviously called a "No Call, No Show" and will get management all fired up.
When asked why you didn't call in and didn't show up, explain what happened last time and that you tried to work with management but were shown the light. Expect a warning letter.

I know this is an old thread bit This is bad advice. Take it at your awn risk!!