Interesting New Research Regarding High-Latitude Atmospheric Circulations

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's a lot of words.

If you think that humans haven't accelerated the normal pace of change in the climate since the 1850's, then you're not familiar with the data.

If you're not familiar with the data, we don't have a lot to talk about.

Yes, yes, there are other factors in climate change than human activity, but again, if you're not familiar with the actual data, I'm not sure what to say.

So I'll just say this:

You're completely correct.

Feel better?

There's nothing you have to do, everything's fine, sleep well.

Like I said, you have no idea what to do about what you think the problem is. The data does not support an "acceleration" of the "rate of change" since 1850. We barely have any data from before that to compare to. But with your high level of science literacy, you knew that already.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Read a little more Science, darling.

Our planet is the car in the parking lot on a hot summers day, we’re the toddler in the car-seat.

We’re accelerating climate change.

Yes, climate changes, but give even a cursory glance at the data, and you’ll see that we’re ramping it up.

What concerns me is that we keep tottering around the edges, but at some point there’s gonna be a shift.

The Oceans are warming, that’s just a fact.

The Glaciers are melting, that’s just a fact.

You can say we aren’t causing those things...

But even if you’re correct (you’re not), we need to do something about it.

When the Oceans are too warm, when there’s not enough ice on the poles to reflect the sun’s rays, we’re going to live in a very different world.

‘I told you so’ will mean very little to me.

There are already dead-zones and heat-waves in the Oceans, and when the Oceans capacity to hold excess heat disappears, that’s a huge deal.

We literally can’t plant enough trees to get ourselves out of this situation.

My kids will limp along in a world that suffers, and finally gets a clue.

Does it, in the end, really matter if humans are the cause?

We’re certainly contributing to the problem, and ignoring the real climate issues that we face because you’re convinced it’s not our fault is ridiculous.

Does it matter?

It’s happening right now, and we need to deal with it.

How else are we going to get an orbital platform around Jupiter?
1569635504925.jpg

BrownArmy

Like I said, you have no idea what to do about what you think the problem is. The data does not support an "acceleration" of the "rate of change" since 1850. We barely have any data from before that to compare to. But with your high level of science literacy, you knew that already.

Actually, we have a wealth of data about climate going back hundreds of thousands of years, from ice-core samples.

The rate of warming is accelerating on a scale not seen in...ever.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Actually, we have a wealth of data about climate going back hundreds of thousands of years, from ice-core samples.

The rate of warming is accelerating on a scale not seen in...ever.

All of which equals: ice core sample scientist's best guess. That data can only, at best, give extremely general data about global tempertures. One major flaw in the methodology that was revealed is the belief that each layer of ice represented a year. It's been proven that each layer is from a single storm. That is how an airplane from WWII was buried under 200 feet of ice in greenland. Another problem with the methodology is that it can't tell scientists anything about the years that the ice melted back. Like I said, we have barely any data from before then to compare to. I know, sciencing is hard.

BrownArmy

All of which equals - ice core sample scientist's best guess, and can only, at best, give extremely general data about global tempertures. One major flaw in the methodology that was revealed is the belief that each layer of ice represented a year. It's been proven that each layer is from a single storm. That is how an airplane from WWII was buried under 200 feet of ice in greenland. Another problem with the methodology is that it can't tell scientists anything about the years that the ice melted back. Like I said, we have barely any data from before then to compare to. I know, sciencing is hard.

So, great, we’re all set, no worries.

Like I said, don’t worry about it.

If you’re convinced we don’t have a problem, there’s certainly nothing I’m going to say that’s gonna change your mind.

Sleep tight.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i really don’t care if humans accelerate climate change because there is no stopping development

nobody is going to impoverish themselves or put their nation at a severe disadvantage to their enemies just to get ahead of hypotheticals

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
i really don’t care if humans accelerate climate change because there is no stopping development

nobody is going to impoverish themselves or put their nation at a severe disadvantage to their enemies just to get ahead of hypotheticals

It's all part of the globalist agenda. They're a bunch of malthusiasts. They really believe that eliminating more than half of the population is the only way to "save the planet"... for themselves.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So, great, we’re all set, no worries.

Like I said, don’t worry about it.

If you’re convinced we don’t have a problem, there’s certainly nothing I’m going to say that’s gonna change your mind.

Sleep tight.

You could give me more than a regurgitation of the same, tired propaganda that you choose to place all your faith in. I'm not convinced of anything, except that making rash decisions about something so complex, that has such high stakes either way you lean, will inevitably to lead to disaster.

I'm all on board with cleaner energy, when we have it. But that's only a small part of the entirety of the impact we have on our environment. All of which have real solutions that don't require plunging humanity into the dark ages.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You have to be careful with attribution studies, but the rate of change is pretty extreme.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Another recent good read, UN synthesis report

https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/30023/climsci.pdf

Key points:Global Climate in 2015 - 2019
• Average global temperature for 2015-2019 is on track to be the warmest of any equivalent period on record. It is
currently estimated to be 1.1°C above pre-industrial (1850-1900) times and 0.2°C warmer than 2011-2015
• Observations show that global mean sea level rise is accelerating and an overall
increase of 26% in ocean acidity since the beginning of the industrial era
Global Fossil CO2 Emissions
• CO2 emissions from fossil fuel use continue to grow by over
1% annually and 2% in 2018 reaching a new high
• Growth of coal emissions resumed in 2017
• Despite extraordinary growth in renewable energy,
fossil fuels still dominate the global energy system
Greenhouse Gas Concentrations
• Increases in CO2 concentrations continue to
accelerate
• Current levels of CO2, CH4 and N2O represent
146%, 257% and 122% respectively of pre-
industrial levels (pre-1750)
Emissions Gap
• Global emissions are not estimated to peak by 2030,
let alone by 2020
• Implementing current unconditional NDCs would lead to a
global mean temperature rise between 2.9°C and 3.4°C by
2100 relative to pre-industrial levels, and continuing thereafter
• The current level of NDC ambition needs to be roughly tripled for
emission reduction to be in line with the 2°C goal and increased fivefold
for the 1.5°C goal. Technically it is still possible to bridge the gap
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2018 & 2019 Special Reports
• Limiting temperature to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels would go hand-in-hand with reaching other world goals
such as achieving sustainable development and eradicating poverty
• Climate change puts additional pressure on land and its ability to support and supply food, water, health and
wellbeing. At the same time, agriculture, food production, and deforestation are major drivers of climate change
Climate Insights
• Growing climate impacts increase the risk of crossing critical tipping points
• There is a growing recognition that climate impacts are hitting harder and sooner than climate assessments
indicated even a decade ago
• Meeting the Paris Agreement requires immediate and all-inclusive action encompassing deep decarbonisation
complemented by ambitious policy measures, protection and enhancement of carbon sinks and biodiversity, and
effort to remove CO2 from the atmosphere
Global Framework for Climate Services
• Climate and early warning information services should underpin decision-making on climate action for adaptation
• The capacities of countries to deliver climate and early warning information services varies across regions