Interesting Question

rod

Retired 22 years
I think this is one of the most useful posts on this thread.

Every once in a while you will find an exception to the rule (odd number house on the even side of road, etc.), but overall a great tool to learn and use. And as others have stated......there is no substitute for experience.

I delivered to a small mining town where the company mine houses had been moved a number of times and they never changed addresses. That was a BIG exception.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Mornin Dill

I believe that this is company wide. The different sections represent different cut/add sections that have been moved around, or used to identify a certain area. Many are common to the public, but many are also exclusive to UPS and its drivers, and when the public hears us talking about that area, are left clueless.

As far as it being a word, there are a lot of words that we dont have in our language proper, but because of technology and other improvements to society, who knows what words will be added. I have heard there are a thousand new words added to the english language each year. Dont know if that is true or not, but it keeps webster et al in the business of printing new dictionaries each year.

d
Morning Danny, thanks. It makes sense. It also makes it easier to learn areas.

BTW - I hope you had a great birthday! :happy-very:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I delivered to a small mining town where the company mine houses had been moved a number of times and they never changed addresses. That was a BIG exception.

I can beat that. I delivered to a small summer resort town where each and every house had a cute woodsy name, and nothing else.

tarbar66

You bring up an interesting point Danny. Sectionalize (is that even a word?) We have names for our resi areas. Do any other areas do this? We La Fonda resi (La Fonda restaurant), Crestview resi (street name), Verde Santa Fe resi (golf course), 6th street (this is business or resi), and on and on. Literally a hundred different areas. They all represent a section of an area (resi and business alike).

Unfortunately some of the UPS names for sections of town are not what the people in that town know. Before PAS, EDD and 911 addresses it could be embarassing to try and find some addresses.

If you knew your US History one town had streets layed out by US Presidents, Civil War Generals, Tree Names, Car model names and girls first names(we called them the Sisters). I bet half of the new drivers have not figured these sections out by the names I learned them by.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Unfortunately some of the UPS names for sections of town are not what the people in that town know. Before PAS, EDD and 911 addresses it could be embarassing to try and find some addresses.

If you knew your US History one town had streets layed out by US Presidents, Civil War Generals, Tree Names, Car model names and girls first names(we called them the Sisters). I bet half of the new drivers have not figured these sections out by the names I learned them by.

We have a section here in town called the trees and the Indians. Another called the fish and the birds. I know what you mean......

old levi's

blank space
You bring up an interesting point Danny. Sectionalize (is that even a word?) We have names for our resi areas. Do any other areas do this? We La Fonda resi (La Fonda restaurant), Crestview resi (street name), Verde Santa Fe resi (golf course), 6th street (this is business or resi), and on and on. Literally a hundred different areas. They all represent a section of an area (resi and business alike).

Of course it's a word, dilli. Say it out loud 3 times. That's what my route girlfriends want to do whenever I'm on break.:rofl: Wearing me out!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

LOL We have an area called 'cars and birds'. :happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My center delivers to the city of West Linn, OR with a gigantic residential area known as "the ponies and the Gods." Half of the streets have equestrian names (Pinto, Palomino, Pamlico, Carriage Way etc,) and the other half are named after ancient Greek and Roman gods (Apollo, Zeus, Titan etc.) The map of this city looks like a spaghetti bowl instead of a grid, with the streets all twisted and looping around each other. The house numbers do not seem to follow any particular order, and if you are unfamiliar with the area and trying to deliver it at night you are screwed. I spent many a long, wretched evening up there driving in circles and tearing my hair out in frustration when I was a rookie.