Is Discipline a dirty word?

• A - Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • B - No

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UPS Lifer

I copied this defintion from Wikepedia... Also, if the word "self" is placed in front of discipline; does it change the way you view the word?

Discipline may refer to areas or bodies of knowledge etcetera that may be found in a university faculty (for example: politics, semiotics, geography, theology, physics, etc.), covering various areas of scholarly and experiential pursuit.
Discipline may denote any training intended to produce a specific character or pattern of behaviour, especially training that produces moral, physical, or mental development in a particular direction. Discipline, while often thought to be a coercive mechanism, can be a collaborative process of building consensus regarding accepted behavior within institutions and society.
In unionised companies, discipline may be a regulated part of a collective bargaining agreement and subject to grievance procedures.
Self-discipline is the ability to manage oneself and one's emotions. Self-discipline is to some extent a substitute for motivation, when one uses reason to determine a best course of action that opposes one's desires.
Lord Alfred Tennyson comments on self-discipline: "Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control. These three alone lead to sovereign power." 'Sovereign power' is cognate with Self-discipline.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Some additional meanings for "discipline". These must have been left off of that Wikipedia page:

• the act of punishing;
  • punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience;
  • enforced compliance or control;
  • to teach someone to obey authority;
  • to impose order on someone
Also from Wikipedia, but this is a different use of the word, "discipline":

Punishment can be pain caused physically (such as caning), humiliation caused psychologically (such as a public flagellation) or loss of freedom caused physically (such as chaining the controlee to the foot of a bed, for some misbehavior).
Is that the "dirty" thing you were looking for?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Did you know that recent research shows that it inspires us, when a manager gets angry?
Then give me your managers name so i can tell him your on here instead of visiting customers!

I actually work better when i piss off my manager!

DS

Fenderbender
First of all wikipedia can be changed and saved by anyone who decides the text lacks certain facts and make it seem
like they got it from a book.try dictionary.com
(not that I am disagreeing with anyone)
Nextly,Salesguy...our salesguy browns up and goes onroad every wednesday with a different driver every week...heck
I got bored ,he was doing all the work,but it was a good thing, he saw that its all supply and demand and that the folks that use fedex are not about to change unless we can
do it cheaper.He did sit down with 2 of my pickups and walk them through the online shipping,which I never have time for.
He bought a wicked lunch...he told me he was expected to produce $500,000 business a year.
Maybe if they scream louder you will come through.

UPS Lifer

I don't get it, Mr Lifer. How in the world do you see it as a dirty word?

I don't see it as a dirty word...just the opposite. But, when you say the word, eyes seem to bug out so I wanted to take an unscientific poll out of curiosity.
I took the title from a caption I saw on a news program.

UPS Lifer

Some additional meanings for "discipline". These must have been left off of that Wikipedia page:

• the act of punishing;
  • punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience;
  • enforced compliance or control;
  • to teach someone to obey authority;
  • to impose order on someone
Also from Wikipedia, but this is a different use of the word, "discipline":

Is that the "dirty" thing you were looking for?

YES! My question is... do people equate punishment with discipline, or training used to create a pattern of behavior?