Is it the full moon or what is the problem......

trickpony1

While you're at it.....

-ask Tie if he has ever watched his third trailer wiggle around in rutted out roads
-ask Tie if he has to deal with the congestion of city traffic with his 110 foot long vehicle that wiggles in 5 places
-ask Tie if he has ever had to stop one of these large combination vehicles real quick
-ask Tie what the first thing management is gonna say to a driver who has an accident
-ask Tie if we aren't supposed to reduce our speed for the conditions (night, congestion etc.)
-ask Tie if the state of Texas didn't used to require trucks to drive slower at night (gosh...I wonder why) and finally;
-ask Tie if he would be willing to switch places.

".....a work slowdown"? that's just one of many vague and obscure excuses that management can/will pull out of their rear to fire a driver they don't like.

I believe most state's driver manuals state that a driver should adjust his speed for the conditions....especially if they are driving a large, heavy combination vehicle.

Danny-I'm truly dismayed to hear you say such a thing considering how safety oriented you are/were.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I believe most state's driver manuals state that a driver should adjust his speed for the conditions

Trick

That statement and all the others are different than the one posted where he said he just puts it on cruise control and leaves it. That statement says that he will adjust his speed when necessary, but he intentionally drives slower than the posted speed limit during his whole route. Completely different situations and statements.

As a driver, speed limits are there to keep traffic moving along at a consistent rate. The limit is the speed at which the majority of vehicles will move down the road. So why, regardless of conditions is the feeder driver going to go slower, except that he is intentionally attempting a work slowdown. I can not understand that mindset.

As for triples, they are not allowed in very many states, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. As far as the doubles, yes, the last trailer will amplify whatever corrections the driver does in the cab. But I have traveled extensively, many times behind a set of doubles, and have never seen any issues that would cause the driver to proclaim that he needs to do under the speed limit for the whole trip to be safe.

Come on, be honest, dont hide behind safety. The statement made is not safety related, it is something else. And that is what prompted my question.

d

feeder

Central Pa Member
dannyboy said:
Trick

It would seem to me that if you post like he did that he never goes the speed limit, always 62 if the speed limit is 65, that that might be construed as a work slowdown by management?

We had a driver that consistently drove lower than the posted speed limit, and that is what they charged him with. And as you know, partaking in a work slowdown is hazardous to your employment health at UPS.

But then maybe the feeder department can play by different rules than the delivery department?

Tie, you are in feeders, what is your take on the matter from the management perspective?

d
We'll, don't you think if I go 65mph, I will get there any faster??? hmmmm, maybe 1 min. or less early, getting off the subject, I remember back in pkg-car, I used to stop at the dunkin donut shop in my on-area for my free coffee and sometimes a danish before delivering my 1st. stop or air packs, I admit on some days, some of my air was late as a result of that, Do you thinks I was written up for that, spied on for that(by LP) No, have a JRD Ride for that, NEVER!!! but that was so so long ago.... Getting back to the current job(feeders) Since I know the destination time of arrival(I arrive 8 to 12 min. early anyways, (time allowance on heavy traffic tieups, weather and accidents) It seems kind strange from time to time my road sup praises the job I do!!! YOU DOING AN HECK OF A JOB OUT THERE, BROWNIE!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You know, I have a real problem with people that post here stating that everyone thinks they do a super job, all the customers love me, I never get into trouble...ad nausium. Because after they post for a while, you can tell they are full of crap.

But you posted that you stopped off for some free coffee and dough-nuts and because of that you delivered air late and got by with it? And because you got by with poor behavior, you think that makes it OK to express poor behavior now?

UPS allows some people to get by with a lot over the years, but usually there comes a day of reckoning. And when that day comes......It is not pretty.

The way I look at it, unless you coded out the time at the dough-nut shop as a break, they could have fired you for stealing time. And made it stick. I have seen it happen, and others have posted similar experiences here. At the very least, very stupid behavior and sounds dishonest to boot. Be thankful, very thankful your sups did not want to fire you, or LP was looking for something to get into.

Your statement of when you are scheduled to arrive interests me. So you are not going to get there any sooner? Even if you can? Oh I know, you get there 8-12 minutes early.

That is the same as a driver going out, knowing that he has 9.5 hours of work on his truck, and because he also knows that the time study he had on the route, he can take two hours for lunch, shop for a ring for his girlfriend, get a tattoo, and stop in for an ice-cream on the way back to the building, because after all, he will beat the standards by 8-12 minutes, and of course that is all that matters. So the way you look at it, the driver has done nothing wrong, he is doing the job, right?

Trick, see what I mean, his deliberate slowing down at work has nothing to do with safety, its all about him. And one day, you or another steward will be in the office trying to get his job back. With his attitude, it will happen.

d

feeder

Central Pa Member
Danny says:

That is the same as a driver going out, knowing that he has 9.5 hours of work on his truck, and because he also knows that the time study he had on the route, he can take two hours for lunch, shop for a ring for his girlfriend, get a tattoo, and stop in for an ice-cream on the way back to the building, because after all, he will beat the standards by 8-12 minutes, and of course that is all that matters. So the way you look at it, the driver has done nothing wrong, he is doing the job, right?

Feeder says, everything is true except for the Tattoo, I'm still employed at UPS......Why?? because I do things to my advantage according to YOUR STANDARDS...Also, I'm here for the benefits and the paycheck, You're here to promote the ONE VISION CONCEPT.....The Union has never and will Never accept your standards... Its your Fault your stupid standards are not being evaluated properly on all levels in the company, Its your fault for letting these loop holes dwell in your SO CALLED SYSTEM. And for your tone towards me being some what arroagant, just remeber what you say on this website is one thing, but remember that tone that you have, if I cross you on the clock, could get you transfered or even fired, hmmm, the company & union does agree on HARRASSMENT....When there is a system, there will always will be loopholes, and If I can find them, POWER TO ME.....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And then you come crying to the shop steward because your arrogant attitude of "they cant get me, I have a loop hole I have used for years got your fat carcass fired.

Dude, its the job. You think its all about you and what you want.

As you say, more power to you. Hope you can keep your position at UPS.

As for you getting crossed with me, that could be your worst nightmare. Dont even go there. It could be that your feeder mind thinks you should be able to write checks that your feeder body might have problems cashing.:lol:

Sides, they are not my standards, but we all have to live with them. Or at least some have to.

I also understand your hatred. Thieves caught with the hand in the cookie jar dont like being caught and called a thief.

d

feeder

Central Pa Member
Wow, look at all of the words and phrases that you try to describe me:

You called a fat carcass
You said I have an attitude problem
You called a theif

You know what, I didnt even say one negative phrase about you: It shows me who you really are.......

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Your posts called you a theif. And your total lack of remorse shows that there is a real pattern.

Now bear with me. Driver goes eating free doughnuts for breakfast each day. Turns into a feeder driver. Where do those Doughnuts go?:lol:

Dude, you got problems!

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Is it me or are feeder driver far less likely to be followed or have their times checked out. In my bldg there are feeder drivers chatting with each other all the time. Maybe their on break, who knows but it happens ON A REGULAR BASIS. If pkg drivers do this we are fired....so much bull****. It is absolutely crap that our asses are always under the fire.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
That reminds me, last year I challenged my center manager to a 3 round boxing match in the center of the building before start time, should the delivery team go 6 months without an avoidable accident and an injury. We had quite some hype going, until Nashville found out about it and stopped it. Said something bad might happen, and they did not think that would be such a good idea.

Shame, the drivers all really thought that would have been something worth shooting for.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well the latest on the driver is that with all that was stacked against him, he took the recommendation and quit UPS instead of being fired for dishonesty.

While I hate to see people that I liked and had respect for leave UPS, there are some people that I guess think they are above the rules and law.

Guys, what a terrible ending to a 15 year career with UPS.

d

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The best advise I've received so far is "Do the job you're supposed to do." Whenever I have to make a personal decision at work, that is my dip stick.

I am on their clock. I am their piece of machinery and that is one of my first considerations. If I weren't o.k. with that I would simply find another company to donate my body to.

I enjoy my job a majority of the time and I will do nothing within my power to endanger it.

Personally, I wanna keep my job, get home safe, never intentionally harm anyone, sleep good and feel good so I can get up tomorrow and do it all over again. It's that simple to me.

I like dealing with people on this level. I like having the opportunity to affect the quality of so many people's days, even in a small way. And if someone could care less, pooh on them. I'm not giving anyone else permission or power to ruin MY day.

People who make a choice to goof up make it harder on all of us and they don't care and they can all go play in the freeway as far as I'm concerned. If you purposefully take time that someone else is paying for YOU ARE STICKING YOUR HAND IN A BOX THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.

There are bad people everywhere. I think and hope that us good ones outnumber them.

"Good people ALWAYS scare bad people."

Your's truly,
Pollyanna rat

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I agree. Great post! And it embodies what makes the average UPS man/woman some of the best people in the world. And yes, I too believe that the good outnumber the bad by vast margins. Its just that the bad ones make the news.

Again, good post Rat!

d