Is spelling important?

UPS Lifer

I like this one , how many friend`s are in the sentance below. (not any kind of trick question

"friendINISHED friendILES ARE THE RE-
SULT Ofriend YEARS Ofriend SCIENTIfriend-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE Ofriend YEARS"
:surprised:
:wink2:
:dissapointed:
most people count 3 but there are 6 if you look again

Helen,
I highlighted the "friend'"s above.

fethrs

It's easier on the ol' brain to read good spelling, we all make mistakes but some people are just too lazy to even try. I don't use "u' for you "r" for are and so on. I guess I'm old school. I get a kick out of the confusion of your, you're, there, their, to and too and so forth. I feel that if I spell good I can fool folks and make them think I'm smart:wink2:

Sammie

I hate spelling errors. There is a difference in a misspelled word by accident and one that clearly shows that someone has no control of their English language.

I'm with ya, Tooner. One problem is, today's kids learn to write by beginning with how the words sound to them. Spelling is initially
thrown out the window. Then as they get older, proper spelling kicks
in. Why not learn it right in the first place? Worked for us! Instead,
we now read things like ---

When I was in school, I worried about testes all the time...

UPS drivers work very hard during peek season...

In the days of King Arthur, nearly every lady had a night...

An old English meal might consist of a bore's head on a platter...

I'm in the mists of figuring out what's for dinner...

She must be a Satin worshipper...

Worries about the North Dakota floods could be corrected with
more big dames in the rivers...

They were sweathearts all through high school...

:biting::biting::biting::biting::biting:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's easier on the ol' brain to read good spelling, we all make mistakes but some people are just too lazy to even try. I don't use "u' for you "r" for are and so on. I guess I'm old school. I get a kick out of the confusion of your, you're, there, their, to and too and so forth. I feel that if I spell good I can fool folks and make them think I'm smart:wink2:
It's not just the spelling, though. Punctuation goes hand in hand with good sentence structure and how a sentence is read.

UPS Lifer

To me, this sentence answers the major part of your question.
One must first be literate.
If one did not already have their "human mind" imprinted with the correct definition and spelling of a word, then it would have a very difficult time decoding scrabbled letters.
So, IMO, 45% of people never learned to spell in the first place.

This is dead on - A good foundation is key. However, I know a person who has a graduate degree and speaks (and writes) as if she is talking with others who have the same ability.

She teaches at the college level. What disappoints me about some teachers and especially professors who are well educated, is the ability to talk and write on the same level as their audience.

I read an article this person just wrote for an online publication and I had to dissect the sentences because the words used were way over my head. I am still not sure if the person was for or against the bailout!

Know your audience and communicate directly with them!

Be respectful and do your best to show you care enough to use proper punctuation, sentence structure and words that are appropriate for the audience. JMHO

fethrs

It's not just the spelling, though. Punctuation goes hand in hand with good sentence structure and how a sentence is read.

Don't remember the exact order of the words but it goes something like this:

A woman; without her, man is nothing.

or

A woman with her man, is nothing.

Sammie

"Woman, without her man, is nothing."

"Woman! Without her, man is nothing."

Woman minus Man equals Wo---

"Wo" is something. Something is better than nothing. :wink2:

A czarist in Russia was given a prison sentence. He happened to come upon the sentence written: "Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia." The man stealthily erased the comma and put another one in: "Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia."

He was freed.