Is the grass greener?

browniehound

"Is it as good as they say it is???"

Yes it is.

(Provided you have a minimum of 25 years in)

Over,
Why is it as good as they say only if you have a minimum of 25 years?
Is it because if you have less you are constantly getting bumped and working nights or doing the worst runs?

I'm curious about feeders even though I think it might be too much truck for me. Thanks for any info you can give me.

over9five

Staff member
"Is it because if you have less you are constantly getting bumped and working nights or doing the worst runs?"

Yes, it would be all of that.

"Dovetailing in seniority isnt everywhere. In our center, it doesnt happen."

And that would be much worse. Here it is, thank God!

rushfan

Yes.
One question. Is it peak yet? My body doesn't say it is.

The worst part?

The work is mostly at night. You need to pay constant attention to your diet.

About the old farts..

When I came into our feeder dept, a relatively small one, they were a bit hesitant about some new rookie. After a while, and just being cordial with them, they will actually acknowledge you. Go with the knowledge you are a rookie and are willing to learn. Ask questions to them about road conditions, equipment operation, and the runs, generally they are a big help.

Too much truck, and the schedule may be the greatest reasons why many turn it down, however, who do you know who can say they driver "turnpike doubles" in rush hour traffic. I guess it's some sort of ego thing.

3 year feeders

well, in Feeders we say "a bad day in Feeders is better than a good day in Package".
Thing is, I have yet to have a bad day in Feeders.

"Feeder peak day: 2 boxes, one stop" isn't that the truth LMAO!!! We gotta put that on a T-shirt.

My typical day is about 5 hours of actual driving time, 4 hours of sitting. Peak is hard because the sitting time goes up. I get more sleep now than when I was in Package thats for sure.

You'll find out quick whether you love or hate Feeders. Check your local package rider or Feeder work rules for how long you get to train before you have to make a commitment. We train one week for free, one paid by the company, and after the third week you have to stay for 3 years before you can end-tail back into package. Only 5 or so guys have gone back after the three years, not that many bail out during training.

Talk with every Feeder driver you meet and you will get a better idea of what you are in for.

diesel96

Is the grass greener in feeders ? Let me put it this way, do you want to work as a pkg car driver in your late forties, fifties and maybe in your sixties to get to 30-35 yrs with UPS ? There are some rare exceptions that some have great routes and are reluctant to change and some have personal or familiy issues not yet compatible with a flexible feeder schedule. However if opportunity knocks, and your availibilty is non-conflicting with personal matters you by all means should take it by the horns. If you decide to pass then you let less senority drivers bid ahead of you, and if you eventually decide to bid for feeders, your senority will be below those that you once had an upper hand over. Now the down side will of course be your low man on the toteum pole as far as vacations, route choices, o/t opportunities etc...But IMO it still beats pkgs any day of the week, in fact I don't dread going to work anymore, especially Mondays.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
"If you decide to pass then you let less senority drivers bid ahead of you, and if you eventually decide to bid for feeders, your senority will be below those that you once had an upper hand over. "

is that how it is in FL? that sound more fair to me since it would be based on experience rather than senoirity.

diesel96

"If you decide to pass then you let less senority drivers bid ahead of you, and if you eventually decide to bid for feeders, your senority will be below those that you once had an upper hand over. "

is that how it is in FL? that sound more fair to me since it would be based on experience rather than senoirity.

Yes, Mr V, It's a new job classification and senority is dictated by certification date, not original full time date. So if you snooze ,you lose. But we all have to start at the bottom and earn our dues, so in a way, full time senority only offers you the right to bid on feeder openings.

over9five

Staff member
"that sound more fair to me since it would be based on experience rather than senoirity."

I disagree. Seniority is everything at UPS. You are driving a big truck. You have experience after a week.....

browniehound

"that sound more fair to me since it would be based on experience rather than senoirity."

I disagree. Seniority is everything at UPS. You are driving a big truck. You have experience after a week.....

Is it really that easy to drive those things? I mean, you don't get nervous at all with such a large truck, driving through wind, ice, snow, rain and in the pitch black? It makes me nervous just thinking about it, LOL.

What about shifting? Does anyone here do this full-time? I think I would like to this after I get about 20 years in. Is it so boring that its unbearable? I see guys in their 90's (ok an exaggeration, but you get the point) shifting trailers in the yard, so it can't be that bad.

I plan on ending my career at UPS doing this. Is this a bad plan?

Drinking coffee and listening to a ball game while moving trailers around a yard doesn't seem like a bad gig to me. Am I missing something?

over9five

Staff member
Some people love shifting. We have some old guys here too.

I HATE it!!! Alot!!!! Really !!!!! I can't stand driving ALL day......and not getting anywhere!

Remember also that shifters are not under the 14 hour rule....