July 12th, 2017: Internet-Wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The FCC wants to destroy net neutrality and give big cable companies control over what we see and do online. If they get their way, they’ll allow widespread throttling, blocking, censorship, and extra fees. On July 12th, the Internet will come together to stop them.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Facebook and Google will participate in next week’s big net neutrality protest - The Verge

The ‘Day of Action’ will be a loud one

Facebook and Google have confirmed their participation in a
wide-scale net neutrality protest scheduled for July 12th, according to Fortune. The protest is being called the “Internet-wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality,” or “Day of Action” and “Battle for the Net” for short. It’s designed to be an illustrative example of the breadth and magnitude of opposition to the Federal Communication Commission’s recent regulatory behavior (or lack thereof) that open internet advocates fear could roll back years of legislative progress, in a fashion similar to the SOPA and PIPA protests of 2012.

It’s unclear how Facebook or Google plan to participate. However, a number of other tech companies have also confirmed their support, including Amazon, Netflix, Reddit, Mozilla, Kickstarter, and Spotify. “Websites, Internet users, and online communities will come together to sound the alarm about the FCC’s attack on net neutrality,” reads the protest’s official website. “We'll provide tools for everyone to make it super easy for your followers / visitors to take action. From the SOPA blackout to the Internet Slowdown, we've shown time and time again that when the Internet comes together, we can stop censorship and corruption.”

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Facebook and Google will participate in next week’s big net neutrality protest - The Verge

The ‘Day of Action’ will be a loud one

Facebook and Google have confirmed their participation in a
wide-scale net neutrality protest scheduled for July 12th, according to Fortune. The protest is being called the “Internet-wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality,” or “Day of Action” and “Battle for the Net” for short. It’s designed to be an illustrative example of the breadth and magnitude of opposition to the Federal Communication Commission’s recent regulatory behavior (or lack thereof) that open internet advocates fear could roll back years of legislative progress, in a fashion similar to the SOPA and PIPA protests of 2012.

It’s unclear how Facebook or Google plan to participate. However, a number of other tech companies have also confirmed their support, including Amazon, Netflix, Reddit, Mozilla, Kickstarter, and Spotify. “Websites, Internet users, and online communities will come together to sound the alarm about the FCC’s attack on net neutrality,” reads the protest’s official website. “We'll provide tools for everyone to make it super easy for your followers / visitors to take action. From the SOPA blackout to the Internet Slowdown, we've shown time and time again that when the Internet comes together, we can stop censorship and corruption.”
Do you plan anything for this?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Do you plan anything for this?
Yep, nothing as dramatic like shutting the site down for 24 hours like last time tho.

Just this:
sorry.jpg

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It's no wonder Comcast is so expensive for such sh** service. Last Saturday I delivered a return box from them. Next Day Saturday Air for a friending empty box. Get real.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon and Netflix to join in net neutrality protest - Sky News

Some of the world's largest internet companies are preparing to join in a day of protest against the United States' Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

The 170 organisations involved - including Amazon, Reddit and Netflix - are preparing to alter how their services are displayed on Wednesday 12 July as a warning against FCC proposals for deregulating how internet service providers (ISPs) treat customers.

While it isn't clear exactly what measures the internet companies will use to protest, it could mean, for example, slower loading times for users, as well as altering the appearance of their sites.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is the letter I received from my Senator:

Dear Mr. Butt:

Thank you for contacting me about Net Neutrality and internet usage issues. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) 2015 Open Internet Order marked a dramatic departure from the bipartisan, light-touch, pro-innovation approach to internet regulation adopted in 1996. Under those common-sense rules, internet service provider (ISP) business practices were policed by the Federal Trade Commission, like most other internet-based companies. In order to exercise jurisdiction over ISPs, the FCC claimed statutory authority under an early twentieth century utilities law designed to regulate telephone monopolies, an antiquated law ill-suited to deal with such a dynamic sector of our economy.

Apart from being a partisan circumvention of the legislative process and an executive branch power grab by the previous administration, these regulations were largely unnecessary, given the strong market forces that have always protected content neutrality and governed privacy practices among ISPs. Instead of protecting consumers, the FCC Order raised costs, stifled innovation, and suppressed broadband investment in communities most in need of internet access.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has indicated that the Commission will look at rolling back these regulations this year, and interested individuals and groups will be able to comment on any proposed changes as part of that process. I encourage you to use that opportunity to share your thoughts as well.

As Congress considers legislation to remedy the previous administration's misguided regulatory overreach, it's my opinion that any future policy should ensure that the innovative environment of the Internet is not inhibited by laborious rules and regulations. As my colleagues and I work with Chairman Pai to address these issues, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Kindest regards,
SigI.PNG

David Perdue
United States Senator

Turdferguson

Just a turd
This is the letter I received from my Senator:

Dear Mr. Butt:

Thank you for contacting me about Net Neutrality and internet usage issues. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) 2015 Open Internet Order marked a dramatic departure from the bipartisan, light-touch, pro-innovation approach to internet regulation adopted in 1996. Under those common-sense rules, internet service provider (ISP) business practices were policed by the Federal Trade Commission, like most other internet-based companies. In order to exercise jurisdiction over ISPs, the FCC claimed statutory authority under an early twentieth century utilities law designed to regulate telephone monopolies, an antiquated law ill-suited to deal with such a dynamic sector of our economy.

Apart from being a partisan circumvention of the legislative process and an executive branch power grab by the previous administration, these regulations were largely unnecessary, given the strong market forces that have always protected content neutrality and governed privacy practices among ISPs. Instead of protecting consumers, the FCC Order raised costs, stifled innovation, and suppressed broadband investment in communities most in need of internet access.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has indicated that the Commission will look at rolling back these regulations this year, and interested individuals and groups will be able to comment on any proposed changes as part of that process. I encourage you to use that opportunity to share your thoughts as well.

As Congress considers legislation to remedy the previous administration's misguided regulatory overreach, it's my opinion that any future policy should ensure that the innovative environment of the Internet is not inhibited by laborious rules and regulations. As my colleagues and I work with Chairman Pai to address these issues, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Kindest regards,
SigI.PNG

David Perdue
United States Senator

Ha!
He called you Mr Butt