"Just Deserts Cafe"

M

mojobuc

Press Release
For Release Monday, June 27 to New Hampshire media
For Release Tuesday, June 28 to all other media

Weare, New Hampshire (PRWEB) Could a hotel be built on the land owned by Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter? A new ruling by the Supreme Court which was supported by Justice Souter himself itself might allow it. A private developer is seeking to use this very law to build a hotel on Souter's land.

Justice Souter's vote in the "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision allows city governments to take land from one private owner and give it to another if the government will generate greater tax revenue or other economic benefits when the land is developed by the new owner.

On Monday June 27, Logan Darrow Clements, faxed a request to Chip Meany the code enforcement officer of the Towne of Weare, New Hampshire seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road. This is the present location of Mr. Souter's home.

Clements, CEO of Freestar Media, LLC, points out that the City of Weare will certainly gain greater tax revenue and economic benefits with a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road than allowing Mr. Souter to own the land.

The proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Caf" and include a museum, open to the public, featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America. Instead of a Gideon's Bible each guest will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged."

Clements indicated that the hotel must be built on this particular piece of land because it is a unique site being the home of someone largely responsible for destroying property rights for all Americans.

"This is not a prank" said Clements, "The Towne of Weare has five people on the Board of Selectmen. If three of them vote to use the power of eminent domain to take this land from Mr. Souter we can begin our hotel development."

Clements' plan is to raise investment capital from wealthy pro-liberty investors and draw up architectural plans. These plans would then be used to raise investment capital for the project. Clements hopes that regular customers of the hotel might include supporters of the Institute For Justice and participants in the Free State Project among others.

# # #

Logan Darrow Clements
Freestar Media, LLC

Phone 310-593-4843
[email protected]
http://www.freestarmedia.com

http://www.freestarmedia.com/hotellostliberty2.html

M

my2cents

IMO, Kelo v. New London is one of the worst Supreme Court decisions ever made. This country was founded on the ideals of individual rights and private property rights. This verdict, in effect, nullifies private property rights. Taking private property to give to another private interest because it is projected to bring in more tax revenue is totally wrong. This is a portend of fascism and it opens the door to more eminent domain abuse by greedy governments. I believe due to the outrage over this decision, however, legislation is being introduced at the state and federal level to nullify Kelo.

M

moreluck

You know, if it's all about the tax base and making more money, think of every church in America and all the beautiful land attached to most of these church properties .Because they are churches, they pay no taxes. With this new take on eminent domain, all of our churches will be torn down to make way for apartment buildings and condos....definitely bringing more bucks to the coffers. Frankly, I don't think Americans will stand for it. I think it'll still be a case by case thing. I do hate the decision. JMHO

Q

quebec_driver

More ,
due to lack of attendance ,the catholic church is actually selling churches for property developement, some date over 200 years.
it can and probably will happen in the US.

G

gadistrict

It is happening but not because of a lack of attendance. It is happening because the Catholic church is having to pay the settlements and awards as a result of the high number of law suits againt them for child molestation and improper behavior.

U

ups_vette

Eminate Domain isn't the only way the government can take your land. In America noone owns land. The government lets you use the land as long as you pay the property taxes they determine the property is worth.
Once you can not afford to pay the tax, the government takes your land and sells it for next to nothing to someone else.

There are thousands of elderly and fixed income families who don't have the resources to pay these high property taxes. Elderly families who have owned their homes, some for 30 plus years, living on less than a $1000 a month receiving a property tax bill for up to $3,000. After living their entire adult life in a place they call home, they must either sell or go deeply in debt for the RIGHT to live their life out on land the Constitution grants them the RIGHT to own.

The American Dream of owning your home no longer applies. In order for School Boards to spend millions of dollars to build Olympic pools, Taj Mahal like school buildings, Astro Turfed football fields, and state of art video systems it has caused thousands of hard working Americans to lose their dream.

U

ups_gal_710

I say take Justice David H. Souter property because he would take my land if it would help support the economy.
This is such an unfair ruling and I agree totally with ups vette's message.

F

feederdude

Sell it from under him!
Fdude
lips.gif

M

mojobuc

an update on the story....

http://www.freestarmedia.com/

July 22, 2005: Selectmen Reject Project. Weare residents considering ballot initiative. Freestar asks local residents to also consider removing all 5 Selectmen from office.

Early this morning Logan Darrow Clements sent a letter to all five Selectmen in the Town of Weare asking them whether he should spend the time and money to develop a presentation of the Lost Liberty Hotel project. If the Selectmen already decided that they will oppose the project no matter what form it takes, or what benefit it offers, then there would be no point in making a presentation.

Here are the letters that were sent back and forth between Freestar and Selectman Joe Fiala.

What Mr. Fiala misunderstands in the position that he and other other Board members are taking is that, in shielding Mr. Souter from from his own ruling, the Board is not defending property rights, they are giving a special exemption to Mr. Souter from the consequences of the eminent domain abuse set loose by Mr. Souter himself. After the Kelo decision we are all subject to lose our homes to economic development. However, the Board seems to think that Mr. Souter should be shielded from the outcome of his own decision. Susette Kelo did not enjoy such a shield nor did Ahmad Mesdaq. Equal justice under the law is a principle the Board should abide by in this matter. Souter's high position should not allow him the privilege to be exempt from his own rulings.

I ask the residents of Weare to continue with your ballot initiative drive to circumvent the Board and also to investigate whether the laws in your jurisdiction allow you to remove the entire Board of Selectmen from office. America now needs the assistance of the residents of Weare so that the torch of liberty can enlighten one who has so soundly turned his back on all those who died to keep it lit.

DEVELOPERS ARE JOINING THE BATTLE: Freestar hopes to hand off the project to experienced companies that can successfully complete it. Several real estate development companies have expressed an interest in taking this role. The ultimate project may end up as a small resort offering time shares or a bed and breakfast. It will also include the Just Deserts Cafe and Museum of Lost Freedom. The name of the development company that ultimately leads the project will be announced only after several weeks of research on their part.

Logan on Fox News Channel at 9:00 EST/6:00 PST.

NATIONAL TV EXPOSURE: Logan is scheduled to appear on the Hannity and Colmes show at 6:00 PST/ 9:00 EST.

BACKGROUND: On June 23, 2005 The Supreme Court ruled that city governments are allowed to take your home and give it to a developer if the city believes that more tax revenues will accrue from the development than from your property taxes. So we decided that 34 Cilley Hill Road in Weare, New Hampshire would be a nice place to develop The Lost Liberty Hotel. Why is this location essential? It is the home of David Souter, one of the Justices that voted in favor of this decision.

F

feguy

It seems as though this is another case of people on this board not understanding an issue.
First of all, have you read the Supreme Court decision? Not the news reports of it, but the actual decision. If not, then that explains a lot. Yes, you are free to blabber at will about it, and look as foolish as you care to, so go ahead.
This ruling (decried by both liberals and conservatives, so you know there must be SOMETHING right about it)is extremely limited in scope. The narrowness of the decision and the cautionary language of the majority opinion, does more to actually limit the exercise of eminent domain than expand it. The fact is, (oh, I know how much you detest facts here on this board) that eminent domain has not been abused in recent years on the scale it was in the urban renewal days of the 1960s and 1970s, when there was less political outcry over the uprooting of far more people. It moves the law much more in favor of landowners than it was before, even though in this case the landowners lost. Hard for you to get your heads around that? Yes, I thought it would be. Here's what's important about the ruling:
It left states free to act on their own to prohibit takings for purposes of economic development. The federal decision essentially places great power into the hands of states.
All of you conservatives out there LOVE power in the hands of the states.
So complain all you want, but if you haven't read the decision, please, don't complain to me.

D

dannyboy

Oh Gee, how wonderful. Our gooberment placing the power in the hands of the states.

And with experts on the law such as yourself, I am sure this will be a ruling that will and can be fought over for many years to come.

What ever happended to " this is my property, not yours. Keep off." That seemed to work in the years gone by.....

But then again, FE, I guess you could find several interpretations to the word "NO"

d

U

upsdude

Hey dannyboy,

You would think someone as smart as FE would have enough intelligence to figure out how to register a user name and password.

O

over9five

You'd figure someone who worked at UPS for 25 years wouldn't call himself the FedExguy too!

mojobuc

Been caught up in my school and slow business, but I just saw that as well the other day. It's bull that they are going to take those homes.:sneaky2:

"Viking has said it will pay at least the assessed values of homes and businesses it buys"

then turn around and sell it for triple what they pay!
Saw on tv tonight where mayor Brown hassaid the prople are being 'selfish'

"We just can't believe that this can happen in America. Anywhere else, but not in America," said longtime resident Princess Wells. "We have so many kids that are losing their lives to keep America safe ... and to know they're going and taking people's property here while we have young kids dying to protect us is really very sad."
"Is that the America we want to live in where you take a person's home?" Hannity asked Mayor Brown.
<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD width=114>
mayormichaelbrown.jpg

Michael Brown, mayor of Riviera Beach, Fla.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"The America we want to live in is one that talks about personal sacrifices that you and that your colleagues talk about every night," Brown said.
"Sounds like the Soviet Union," responded Hannity. "This is a redevelopment plan which includes restaurants and condos," said Brown. "The overall plan is designed to train people, get them better jobs so they can have a living wage and not a minimum wage so we can increase our tax base so that we can pay for fire, police, so we can provide basic services."

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47795

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Look for the money trail. There is some changing hands there somewhere.

It used to be that they could take property for public usage, not to condem your property and give it to someone else to make a fortune on.

d