Just got hired....

uks2h

First of all, I would like to say that I feel like it is a great opportunity to be hired for UPS. If I am wrong about this, please let me know. It seems like UPS is a great fit for me because I can go to college and still work there and have a good plan for the rest of my life either way. I am always the hardest worked at every job I have ever had in my life, and I fully expect to get promotions at UPS in time, too. I understand that it takes a while, but I just wanted to get something straight at the start.

That's why I came here, to a good forum whose posters actually have lots of knowledge about the company.

I am starting as a loader/unloader. Is it likely that I could be a brown truck driver in 5 or 6 years? And, it would be a big help if someone could tell me what order of promotions would happen in order for me to get there. I know I was told supervisor, and have read some other things on here, but if someone could explain this to me I would be very grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and post if you have the time/knowledge please. :thumbup1:

moreluck

golden ticket member
uks2h.....I'm sure someone else will answer your questions, I cannot. However, I like the positive attitude of your post and I know hard work will take you wherever you want to go.

Good Luck!!:)

Griff

I am starting as a loader/unloader. Is it likely that I could be a brown truck driver in 5 or 6 years?

Varies greatly from building to building. Some places are hiring off the street and some have a 10 year waiting list. There is no "series" of promotions to go from unloader/loader to a driver, it's just a waiting game of seniority. I'd try to get a job as a P/T air driver, similar hours, better pay, and quite honestly is one of the easiest jobs at UPS.

Channahon

Take advantage of all the benefits offered to part time students at UPS and get your degree.

If your goal is to be a driver, stay in the hourly ranks.
Driver positions are filled by 6 UPS union employees to 1 non union (p/t sup or off the street hire).

If you have intentions of going into management at UPS, a part time supervisor position would work while pursuing your education. You can then pursue a full time management position that may fit with your degree. In some districts, driving is required before you can go into full time management ( which in my opinion is very beneficial) although may be for a short time.
I've also worked in districts where driving was not necessary to get promoted, based on the candidates education and degree.

In any event, opportunities are at UPS, it's just a matter of what works best for you.