Just to make you meat-eaters jealous

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just had to show everyone what was cooking on my grill today.

These are my elk backstraps, marinated all day in my wife's wine, garlic and grey poupon marinade sauce, with a bit of fresh basil from our garden.

She also made a loaf of homemade bread, and I threw together a salad. Her niece and nephew came over to visit.

It was about 75 degrees in the back yard, with a gentle breeze. We ate outside and watched the hummingbirds.

Life is rough.
venison.jpg

soberups

elk? really? never had it.... any comparisons to what it tastes like? or is it all its own?

I cant verbally describe the flavor. Most people prefer it to venison, saying that it is less "gamey". It does have a distinctive, "smoky" taste. It is a very lean meat, and the backstrap (approximately comparable to a beef tenderloin) is the most tender cut of all. As far as I am concerned, elk and venison are the best meats out there...100% natural, hormone and steroid free, grass fed. And you cant buy them, you have to earn them.

P

pickup

Just had to show everyone what was cooking on my grill today.

These are my elk backstraps, marinated all day in my wife's wine, garlic and grey poupon marinade sauce, with a bit of fresh basil from our garden.

She also made a loaf of homemade bread, and I threw together a salad. Her niece and nephew came over to visit.

It was about 75 degrees in the back yard, with a gentle breeze. We ate outside and watched the hummingbirds.

Life is rough.

soberups, let me ask you a somewhat serious question. If you eat that meat which is marinated in wine, do you have to turn in your 12 year AA chip?

soberups

soberups, let me ask you a somewhat serious question. If you eat that meat which is marinated in wine, do you have to turn in your 12 year AA chip?

Good question.

No, it isnt a relapse because the cooking process evaporates the alcohol out.

More importantly, there is no intention on my part to take a drink.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Good question.

Good question.

No, it isnt a relapse because the cooking process evaporates the alcohol out.

More importantly, there is no intention on my part to take a drink.
Very good answer, sounds like you had a really nice day. I'm a meat eater and a runner. This is exactly the type of Morning I had on Saturday. First day of vacation, went out and ran 10 miles with a friend. Weather has been brutal here with the heat index in the 100's and humidity close to 100%, so I expected a hot morning, but was pleasantly surprised with a very cool morning. Maybe not so cool for some on here, but cooler than it has been here.

Anyways, we ran our 10 and later in the day I took the family out and we feasted on Steak at our local steakhouse, yum!

Almost forgot to add that my wife's parents had the kids overnight for the first time, so we were all alone for the majority of the day. Breakfast, the beach and some nice alone time, ahhhh.

bigbrownhen

Ohh. That looks yummy Sober. A favorite of ours is venison backstraps as well. I have only had Elk once, it was awesome. Backstraps with fried taters and onions, doesn't get better than that.

Our weekend was nice as well, Saturday was really hot, so worked outside early and spent most of afternoon inside. Sunday was beautiful, low humidity and in the upper 80s, so we helped in-laws haul and deliver 150 round bales, then my wonderful Mother-in-law made her famous fried chicken. What a great day...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WOW Sounds like there was good weekends to be had by all! We went camping this weekend Th-Sun and also had elk. The weather was awesome. Had rain Fri morn but the rest of the weekend was clear. Sighted in my .17. What a SWEET!!!!! rifle. I will post pics in 'How's the view'.

Tourista, elk and venison have a taste all their own. I have had corn fed venison that tastes just like veal. You would never know the difference. The older the animal the more 'gamey' or strong the flavor. Sober, do you know that you can soak elk and venison in milk and it will take the 'game' out of the meat. Milk breaks down the blood and draws it out of the meat. You can't soak it for very long though, it will literally break down the meat as well. Our elk and venison, here in AZ tends to run very 'gamey'. We have less grass and they tend to eat more pine needles.