Labor For Bernie Sanders

BrownBrokeDown

Supply-side or trickle-down economics - you mean like hundreds of billions on bailouts and stimulus?
We know just how well they worked out.
The fact is the top 20% of Americans pay more than 50% of all income federal taxes. When you look at all federal revenue, this 20% pays closer to 70%.
Beyond that, according to Pew Research, all Taxpayers benefit from the more than $1.3 trillion worth of tax breaks that are allowed under the U.S. tax code.
The largest tax break of $150.6 billion, which benefits the middle class the most, is the tax exemption of employer-paid health care, health insurance and long-term care insurance.
Other tax breaks and/or exemptions include...
Lower tax rates on dividends and long-term capital gains - $120.3 billion,
Mortgage interest deduction for owner-occupied residences - $74.8 billion,
Earned-income tax credit $70.4 billion,
Contributions to and earnings of a defined-contribution retirement plans - $62.3 billion,
Deductibility of (non-business) state and local income, sales and personal property taxes - $59.2 billion,
Credit for children under age 17 - 57.3 billion,
Contributions to and earnings of defined--benefit pension plans - $41.3 billion,
Untaxed Social Security and railroad retirement benefits - $39.3 billion.
These are all, currently, untaxed income that everyone should - in theory - be paying.
Meanwhile, ALL federal corporate tax breaks in 2013 (the most recent year I can easily find) totaled $176 billion.
you shouldnt have even bothered. you left a hell of a lot out. Like how corporations making billions in profits get 100 milliion+ in tax refunds, or how they avoid paying taxes on billions stashed overseas. How about those bailouts...Wells Fargo got a bailout, then held a $250,000 christmas party that year, but it was alright because they didnt use the bailout money on the christmas party. How about the restuctering of bankruptcy laws a decade ago. How about the middle class wage stagnation but ceos pay is skyrocketing over last 10 years. How about the fact that hostess union workers took multiple pay cuts while their higher ups were getting bonuses but as soon as they said no more the higher ups said, well :censored2:, we have to file bankruptcy now. how about the top 1% REAL tax rate after the loopholes. Buffet has admitted he pays a lower effective tax rate than his secretary and its not fair. how about a million more examples...

HBGPreloader

you shouldnt have even bothered. you left a hell of a lot out. Like how corporations making billions in profits get 100 milliion+ in tax refunds, or how they avoid paying taxes on billions stashed overseas. How about those bailouts...Wells Fargo got a bailout, then held a $250,000 christmas party that year, but it was alright because they didnt use the bailout money on the christmas party. How about the restuctering of bankruptcy laws a decade ago. How about the middle class wage stagnation but ceos pay is skyrocketing over last 10 years. How about the fact that hostess union workers took multiple pay cuts while their higher ups were getting bonuses but as soon as they said no more the higher ups said, well :censored2:, we have to file bankruptcy now. how about the top 1% REAL tax rate after the loopholes. Buffet has admitted he pays a lower effective tax rate than his secretary and its not fair. how about a million more examples...
I didn't leave anything important out.
However, the democrats, who authorized the bailouts and stimulus, most certainly left a lot details out those laws because they didn't prevent anything you're complaining about.
One would think that the democrats would have learned from their mistakes from these failed programs.
So, exactly what is causing America's working class wage stagnation?
Independent candidate Ross Perot warned us, back in 1992, about free trade agreements and our jobs being outsourced. Yet, clinton signed NAFTA into law anyway. And, making matters much worse, obama is now pushing for both the TPP and TIPP free trade agreements.
But, it gets better...
Instead of fixing what was wrong with America, obama and the democrats upped the ante and rammed obamacare down our throats - the monstrosity that our own union president stated...
"...the ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class...".
I'm not even going to bother with the issues with illegal immigration, the democrats' proposed amnesty and how these invaders currently make up 5% of America's workforce.

BrownBrokeDown

Got 2 examples for you, 1 is how pay increases are being handled at a majority of non-union corporations, 1 how a % of tax, while generating more dollars from the rich affects the poor more.

Corporations are doing % pay raises now. take a 2% pay raise. 1%-3% is very common.

$30,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $600
$100,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $2,000
$250,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $5,000
$1,000,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $20,000
$5,000,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $100,000

Lets just simulate a flat tax style of number for calculating simplicity, say 20%

$30,000 per year worker pays $6000
$100,000 per year worker pays $20000
$250,000 per year worker pays $50000
$1,000,000 per year worker pays $200000
$5,000,000 per year worker pays $1000000

Now, with the money left over after the taxes, who is hurt more, who will have difficulties raising their children, who will have issues putting food on the table, who can still buy any luxery that they want?

You combine the 2 and what you get is a decreasing middle class, bring home pay stagnation, and welfare dependents that still work. Oh, and btw, I forgot to state in the first example, chances are the $1000000 and $5000000 workers are also getting bonuses and stock options on top of that pay...

BrownBrokeDown

I didn't leave anything important out.
However, the democrats, who authorized the bailouts and stimulus, most certainly left a lot details out those laws because they didn't prevent anything you're complaining about.
One would think that the democrats would have learned from their mistakes from these failed programs.
So, exactly what is causing America's working class wage stagnation?
Independent candidate Ross Perot warned us, back in 1992, about free trade agreements and our jobs being outsourced. Yet, clinton signed NAFTA into law anyway. And, making matters much worse, obama is now pushing for both the TPP and TIPP free trade agreements.
But, it gets better...
Instead of fixing what was wrong with America, obama and the democrats upped the ante and rammed obamacare down our throats - the monstrosity that our own union president stated...
"...the ACA will shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class...".
I'm not even going to bother with the issues with illegal immigration, the democrats' proposed amnesty and how these invaders currently make up 5% of America's workforce.
There was illegal immigrants from 1950 to 1975 and the economy did wonderful...It was the Republicans who gave the corporations and billionaires reduction in tax rates...It was the Republicans who said that the money would find its way into workers pockets...it was the Republicans who are behind Right-To-Work and union busting...and yes, it was the Democrats that authorized jobs to leave the country...But I never said I would vote for Hillary either, and I won't...

HBGPreloader

Got 2 examples for you, 1 is how pay increases are being handled at a majority of non-union corporations, 1 how a % of tax, while generating more dollars from the rich affects the poor more.

Corporations are doing % pay raises now. take a 2% pay raise. 1%-3% is very common.

$30,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $600
$100,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $2,000
$250,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $5,000
$1,000,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $20,000
$5,000,000 per year worker earns an additional gross of $100,000

Lets just simulate a flat tax style of number for calculating simplicity, say 20%

$30,000 per year worker pays $6000
$100,000 per year worker pays $20000
$250,000 per year worker pays $50000
$1,000,000 per year worker pays $200000
$5,000,000 per year worker pays $1000000

Now, with the money left over after the taxes, who is hurt more, who will have difficulties raising their children, who will have issues putting food on the table, who can still buy any luxery that they want?

You combine the 2 and what you get is a decreasing middle class, bring home pay stagnation, and welfare dependents that still work. Oh, and btw, I forgot to state in the first example, chances are the $1000000 and $5000000 workers are also getting bonuses and stock options on top of that pay...
Again, why is that?
In 2007, the democrats won majority control in congress - and bush, pretty much, approved everything they sent to him.
In 2009, not long after he was sworn in, obama wa granted a filibuster-proof super-majority (with the help of 2 alleged independents).
And, thanks to this super-majority, the democrats the power to do anything they wanted - without any republican interference.
So, what happened?
Why didn't they raise the minimum wage?
Why didn't they fix these free trade agreements?
Why didn't they address campaign finance and political contributions?
Why didn't they grant illegals amnesty, address discrimination, women's rights, etc?
If the bailouts and stimulus weren't big enough, why didn't they make them bigger?
Again, they had the absolute power to do anything they wanted. And, if the republicans tried to "interfere", the democrats could have, simply, told them to shut up and sit down.
So, I ask again what happened?

BrownBrokeDown

Again, why is that?
In 2007, the democrats won majority control in congress - and bush, pretty much, approved everything they sent to him.
In 2009, not long after he was sworn in, obama wa granted a filibuster-proof super-majority (with the help of 2 alleged independents).
And, thanks to this super-majority, the democrats the power to do anything they wanted - without any republican interference.
So, what happened?
Why didn't they raise the minimum wage?
Why didn't they fix these free trade agreements?
Why didn't they address campaign finance and political contributions?
Why didn't they grant illegals amnesty, address discrimination, women's rights, etc?
If the bailouts and stimulus weren't big enough, why didn't they make them bigger?
Again, they had the absolute power to do anything they wanted. And, if the republicans tried to "interfere", the democrats could have, simply, told them to shut up and sit down.
So, I ask again what happened?
Who said I voted for Obama? Who said I think that most of the Democrats in office help the little man?

Oh and btw, I never said I approved of the bailouts either.

bbsam

Staff member
What right do we have to demand the wealthy gives up more of their money? I don't get it. People say my generation is me me me. And the generation ahead of me is sitting here saying we deserve those rich people's money because I don't have enough.
Because those rich people stack the deck. They buy political influence like a morning coffee and have lobbyists write the regulations with massive loopholes. They are a generation that has spent what they claim is future generations inheritance; I think it was their retirement account.

It's not hard to see. How does Fedex get away with such low labor cost? Certainly not because the labor pool is happy or content. Politicians have been bought and it's the rich captains of industry who have written the checks.

bbsam

Staff member
He loves labor so much he's going to boost corporate taxes so Chinese labor can get some love.
China's economy does need a boost but I don't see how you make such a claim. Such moves are so 1980. I think a lot of Americans have seen enough of that and would nearly demand a punitive tariff on any company that did such a thing going forward. We changed after 2008. "Private profits, public risk" leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and we've seen for 40 years how "trickle down" doesn't work.