Lazy UPS drivers?

O

Old Ups Driver

the lazy drivers don`t last long in package. they either quit or go feeder if they are lucky
and I have seen many get in because no one else wanted to go feeder at the time. with only 1 or 2 years in package. they got the sweet job without paying the dues. its too bad most don`t know how good feeder is until they have done the job for a few months. it took 20 years
in package before I went feeder and found out. it kind of sucks at first but only for a month or 2 then its just driving down the highway listening to the radio with the AC on making more then you did in package. almost seems criminal.

the lazy drivers are in FEEDER !!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tooner

im tired of waiting coz they are on the internet,

Maybe they are visiting here?

There are always going to be those drivers that take every advantage of those other drivers around them that work hard and try to get in. We had one in our area group that always had to have help to get in. Everyday, at least one of us would have to help him get done, sometimes with as many as 50-60 stops. It got to the point I wouldnt, unless I needed a lot of overtime. I would consider him lazy.

OF courst after a while of every day busting your butt to get done earlier, only to every day have to take some one elses work takes the edge off, so you just do your own work and quit busting butt.

But usually you will find thos people more inside the building. You know, the ones that take 30 minutes to "quickly run to the bathroom"? Or the one that just cant seem to get his crap pulled off the belt, so you have this huge pile at the end. Worst thing they ever did was to remove the option to have a return belt. here at our building, it takes three part time people just to shuttle the missed packages back up the belt.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Tooner

Maybe they are visiting here?

[There are always going to be those drivers that take every advantage of those other drivers around them that work hard and try to get in. We had one in our area group that always had to have help to get in. Everyday, at least one of us would have to help him get done, sometimes with as many as 50-60 stops. It got to the point I wouldnt, unless I needed a lot of overtime. I would consider him lazy. ]
Dannyboy, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but stop and look at it from my side. I have been thrown out on every bad route we have. Here's a map and go do the best you can. On some routes it has taken me months (literally) to learn them well enough to run the same SPORH's as the regular drivers.I work hard and try to do the best that I can. And yes, many many time I had to have help. And yes, many many time I heard the same thing that you are saying, "why is it that I have to come help you all the time". And there are still routes that I have trouble with. It is also partly the Diad. It took me forever to learn Diad 3 and now we have Diad 4 and it's taking just as long to learn this one. It's not because I'm lazy, it's just because it takes me longer to learn. (Seriously, I'm not joking). But I have to say that this week I been running a route that I haven't been on in a few months, and yesterday I ran 130 stops and was still under 9.5. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never been trained on all 340 methods, hell I never actually had any training. JUST THROWN TO THE WOLVES. All I'm asking is before you judge, ask. Thanks for all your good advice and I enjoy reading your posts.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

I am somewhat different than most drivers. At 20 years seniority, I decided to become a cover driver. Also spent some time as a driver trainer because of my methods and area knowledge. So I totally understand being thrown to the wolves, and you would have been one that I would have helped in a minute.

Nope, drivers like the one I am talking about have been on the same route for 10+ years, spend more time on the phone than delivering, in many cases have their nose stuck up the center manager pantlegs. and even though they are subject to several rides a year, nothing comes from them.

So you are not at all what I was refering to.

Actually, the last 5 peaks, I did not even have a route. They would have me come in early to help get the preload down on time, then take out a ryder with 10-15 bulk stops. By then the cell phone would ring without stoping till 8PM or more. And all but one peak, because of that type of flexability, most drivers were in by 6-6:30 almost every day.

But management does not have the flexability to make those decisions anymore. It is all micro controled from the top down. That is one of the reasons why I find the term opperator somewhat funny.

I run the show, I am telling you what to do, but I cant make a move on my own. Heck, I doubt most center managers go to the bathroom without clearance first.

Anyway.........

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
the lazy drivers don`t last long in package. they either quit or go feeder if they are lucky
and I have seen many get in because no one else wanted to go feeder at the time. with only 1 or 2 years in package. they got the sweet job without paying the dues. its too bad most don`t know how good feeder is until they have done the job for a few months. it took 20 years
in package before I went feeder and found out. it kind of sucks at first but only for a month or 2 then its just driving down the highway listening to the radio with the AC on making more then you did in package. almost seems criminal.

the lazy drivers are in FEEDER !!!
lazy!!! if your that lazy you wont be here long enough to see a feeder

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill

I am somewhat different than most drivers. At 20 years seniority, I decided to become a cover driver. Also spent some time as a driver trainer because of my methods and area knowledge. So I totally understand being thrown to the wolves, and you would have been one that I would have helped in a minute.

Nope, drivers like the one I am talking about have been on the same route for 10+ years, spend more time on the phone than delivering, in many cases have their nose stuck up the center manager pantlegs. and even though they are subject to several rides a year, nothing comes from them.

So you are not at all what I was refering to.

Actually, the last 5 peaks, I did not even have a route. They would have me come in early to help get the preload down on time, then take out a ryder with 10-15 bulk stops. By then the cell phone would ring without stoping till 8PM or more. And all but one peak, because of that type of flexability, most drivers were in by 6-6:30 almost every day.

But management does not have the flexability to make those decisions anymore. It is all micro controled from the top down. That is one of the reasons why I find the term opperator somewhat funny.

I run the show, I am telling you what to do, but I cant make a move on my own. Heck, I doubt most center managers go to the bathroom without clearance first.

Anyway.........

d
thanks D, I understand better what you are saying. We have the runners that make the rest of us look bad because their numbers are better than those of us that actually take our breaks and lunches. Kind of the opposite of what you are saying yet the effect is similar. They have their noses stuck in the brown, too. LOL We have one that has many injuries and accidents yet still gets the safe driving award. Frustrating to say the least.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Like ole J$*SJRT in our center. Only driver I know of that can sideswipe a car in the AM, tear off a mirror when back in the building and still not get charged with anything. All because he is in a hurry. Had two roll aways in 6 years, and no suspension or anything past a warning letter. Been off more than any other two drivers with injuries.

But that's OK, he is getting older, and as time progresses, so does the pain of stupidity in your youth.

But I digress.

As a rookie, on a route anywhere close to my route, you would have had help until you could have handled it on your own. I guess its the father instinct, or the years I spent training drivers.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Like ole J$*SJRT in our center. Only driver I know of that can sideswipe a car in the AM, tear off a mirror when back in the building and still not get charged with anything. All because he is in a hurry. Had two roll aways in 6 years, and no suspension or anything past a warning letter. Been off more than any other two drivers with injuries.

But that's OK, he is getting older, and as time progresses, so does the pain of stupidity in your youth.

But I digress.

As a rookie, on a route anywhere close to my route, you would have had help until you could have handled it on your own. I guess its the father instinct, or the years I spent training drivers.

d
That is, by far, the MOST encouraging words that I have ever heard from ANY ups driver ever. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fan::foamfinger::bigsmile2:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dilligaf, the best tip I ever got on the diad 4 was on here. Put the toggle on Alpha full time and just hold down the soft key, when putting in numbers, Or I guess if most of your streets were numbers like 12th, 13th you could put it in numberic and shift for alpha. It helps me alot.
As far as being a cover, all you can do is the best you can do. I have had my own route 5 yrs, I struggled as a swing driver, I struggle now. I was the last one in, my sporh was below what it "needs to be". But it was what it was. I will be 2 hrs late, but no one will be able to find where I slept for 2 hrs. I can only do 12 per hour when doing commercial and pick ups, but I did 36 in 2 hrs, with snow up to my arse, roads still not plowed, and never a shoveled walkway. But 36 in 2 hrs, with 12 for 8, doesnt give me 15 at days end, and thats just the way it was. Dont stress, that will slow you down more than anything.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilligaf, the best tip I ever got on the diad 4 was on here. Put the toggle on Alpha full time and just hold down the soft key, when putting in numbers, Or I guess if most of your streets were numbers like 12th, 13th you could put it in numberic and shift for alpha. It helps me alot.
As far as being a cover, all you can do is the best you can do. I have had my own route 5 yrs, I struggled as a swing driver, I struggle now. I was the last one in, my sporh was below what it "needs to be". But it was what it was. I will be 2 hrs late, but no one will be able to find where I slept for 2 hrs. I can only do 12 per hour when doing commercial and pick ups, but I did 36 in 2 hrs, with snow up to my arse, roads still not plowed, and never a shoveled walkway. But 36 in 2 hrs, with 12 for 8, doesnt give me 15 at days end, and thats just the way it was. Dont stress, that will slow you down more than anything.
Actually one of our drivers told me the same thing, only I was told the reverse of what you said. Hold the shift down for the letters. I've been doing that for quite awhile. Speaking of using the shift has anyone noticed any problems with shifting yet? I think these new diads are already having problems and I heard tonight that another center in our district has already lost several diads to malfunctions or whatever.

DS

Fenderbender
We have a driver,lets call him Paul...that does preload in the morning.I dont know why,but he loads 3 cars including his own,and gets back by 5pm every night.His car looks like a fedex truck...all small boxes and lots of letters.Occasionally they have him drive a 5 ton .I myself need help every day in the morning,and I try to keep my splits tight.Sometimes (like yesterday) I gave him 12 stops and ended up with an 10.77 planned day...you just never know,I had to go code 05 and ran it in 11.20,so thats a tad over 3 hrs ot that I would rather not have...
I finally stopped at 620pm and got a coffee and a sausage roll...
but today was nice .I honestly believe,that 99.9% of ups drivers are not lazy.They make it very hard for you to attain boredom out there.