Leaving FedEx for UPS (Preloader)

PT Car Washer

The worst I've had to do was 3 trucks while splitting and it was very hard to keep up. Most of the time we have a splitter for each belt so I only have to deal with the stuff that they miss.

Yes, taking the UPS job is going to be a downgrade in pretty much every area right now including the commute and the pay. Honestly FedEx is a better deal at the moment but I know that UPS will be the much better deal long term if I can stick it out for a few years until I can move closer and hopefully go full time. I just don't want to get caught up in what's better now and end up kicking myself later on like most of the Ground drivers I know.
At the building I work at UPS is begging for FT package car drivers. Work 30 days PT and bid into FT if you are qualified. The next 5 years at UPS will be a time of tremendous opportunities as all the baby boomers will finally either retire or die. The bad news is the job has never been more difficult because of all the micro managing both from a drivers aspect and bottom management's side. Even worse for management.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
But, u know those ground drivers arent really Fedex employees, right?

If u wanna be in the driver seat, go for the peak seaon driver job that should be popping up in a month from now... i dunno your area though as you can see that every hub is different in terms of needing drivers

that other newish member in TX already has a foot in the door for a possible fast track to be in the driver's seat because he knew that theyre expanding his hub to include ~150 package cars & ~40 feeder trucks

PT Car Washer

But, u know those ground drivers arent really Fedex employees, right?

If u wanna be in the driver seat, go for the peak seaon driver job that should be popping up in a month from now... i dunno your area though as you can see that every hub is different in terms of needing drivers

that other newish member in TX already has a foot in the door for a possible fast track to be in the driver's seat because he knew that theyre expanding his hub to include ~150 package cars & ~40 feeder trucks
UPS Teamster contract has a 6 to 1 hire ratio. 6 inside hies to every 1 outside hire. Seasonal would be an outside hire. Get hired PT, gain seniority and when a FT job opens up you would have first chance and also have more respect then an off the street hire.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS Teamster contract has a 6 to 1 hire ratio. 6 inside hies to every 1 outside hire. Seasonal would be an outside hire. Get hired PT, gain seniority and when a FT job opens up you would have first chance and also have more respect then an off the street hire.
Just from the P/T's and it's more envy than lack of respect that P/T react to off the street.

Platinum

I'm only 19 so driving isn't even an option for 2 more years. That's why I'm thinking it would be a good idea to start gaining seniority now so I can hopefully move into driving fairly quickly after I turn 21. I'm currently not in school and I've been with FedEx since I got out of high school.

MAKAVELI

I'm only 19 so driving isn't even an option for 2 more years. That's why I'm thinking it would be a good idea to start gaining seniority now so I can hopefully move into driving fairly quickly after I turn 21. I'm currently not in school and I've been with FedEx since I got out of high school.
19? It's a no brainer UPS and don't look back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree with @MAKAVELI ... If you are determined to work at UPS or FedEx, UPS is the obvious choice, especially at your age.

Unions do make a difference and provide some protection from Corporations and their shenanigans that affect your benefits and pay.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our preload pulls are generally 4 cars, with 800-1300 pcs. per pull. The 3 car "easy" pulls are usually helping others then falling behind their own, but 3 cars are more and more rare with the latest technology.

Good luck!

MAKAVELI

I agree with @MAKAVELI ... If you are determined to work at UPS or FedEx, UPS is the obvious choice, especially at your age.

Unions do make a difference and provide some protection from Corporations and their shenanigans that affect your benefits and pay.
19 no wife, no kids, possibly making $100k+ in ten years vs a dead end job with low pay and no benefits at FedEx ground its really not that hard of a decision.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

UPS does not verify current employers if you ask them. However ...
UPS will ask you to provide tax returns or pay stubs for those years you worked at FedEx but were not in school.
UPS checks to make sure you were not in jail by verifying all your time since high and there can not be any gaps unverified for longer than 3 months.
So your tellin me that UPS doesn't hire people if they don't currently have a job, or went through a period of time being unemployed?...where did u come up with that nonsense? Also there are plenty of people inside the building that have "done time" ....just depends on the charge

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So your tellin me that UPS doesn't hire people if they don't currently have a job, or went through a period of time being unemployed?...where did u come up with that nonsense? Also there are plenty of people inside the building that have "done time" ....just depends on the charge
Jump to conclusions much? Good grief!
He asked what to bring and I explained why so he could understand what to bring.
Nowhere did I say anything about, "UPS doesn't hire people if they don't currently have a job".
Nowhere did I say UPS does not hire people that have "done time".

WTH are you smoking? I want some! Seriously!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Back to the op, did u know why u were not asked to go in for the 2nd time~tour at the closer location? That would be a better commute for you.

It won't be a conflict of interest : they'll just verify if u worked there from the dates u filled in the application, plus u r not going to work at both companies simultaneously.

I know of a Fedex Home Delivery driver that comes from working UPS preload though... like i said, FX Ground n HD drivers aren't employees of FX, but some middle-man subcontractor so its up to that subcontractor that his drivers follow the HOS rules, which this particular driver is breaking

Last edited:

Platinum

Back to the op, did u know why u were not asked to go in for the 2nd time~tour at the closer location? That would be a better commute for you.

It won't be a conflict of interest : they'll just verify if u worked there from the dates u filled in the application, plus u r not going to work at both companies simultaneously.

I know of a Fedex Home Delivery driver that comes from working UPS preload though... like i said, FX Ground n HD drivers aren't employees of FX, but some middle-man subcontractor so its up to that subcontractor that his drivers follow the HOS rules, which this particular driver is breaking

No, it's a pretty small center and about 15 people showed up for the tour. They had us write down our name/phone number on a piece of paper and said they would get back to us. Several of us tried to get a phone number to contact them but they wouldn't give us one. Needless to say I never heard anything back and that was well over 90 days ago so the system online let me submit an application for the new location.

I'm guessing that the wait time at the small center would be much longer than the one at the hub that I'm applying to now so it could actually be a good thing that I didn't get chosen at the first location.

Brisket

That sounds like a winner.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
At the building I work at UPS is begging for FT package car drivers. Work 30 days PT and bid into FT if you are qualified. The next 5 years at UPS will be a time of tremendous opportunities as all the baby boomers will finally either retire or die. The bad news is the job has never been more difficult because of all the micro managing both from a drivers aspect and bottom management's side. Even worse for management.
Man there is a good wait in my building. Is ur building in the ghetto

Platinum

I had my tour yesterday morning and everything went well. However, they saw my employment history in the application and said that they are not allowed to consider me for the job until I quit FedEx. They gave me contact info and said to let them know as soon as I quit. I guess I'll have to give my notice sometime next week and take the risk if I want the job.

On the bright side they said that they are constantly in need of drivers and that I should have no problem going full time in a couple of years if that's what I want to do. I'll take that with a grain of salt based off of what I've read here but I'm hoping for the best.