Libertarians As Corporate Shills

wkmac

Then again, Maybe Not!

I am often accused of supporting “Reaganomics” or “trickle-down economics” or being “a tool of the corporate elite,” or some other such thing. An implication is that my economic views are conservative, and basically amount to apologetics for the wealthy. Naturally, these ad hominem attacks always come from the “left.”

I think this perspective exists for a few reasons: lack of economic understanding, a conflation of modern capitalism with real free markets, and some psychological traits that would be the subject of another article.

People who view themselves as “progressive” or “left wing” believe that they are rebelling against corporate power and defending the little guy. I believe that most laypeople on the left truly are well-intentioned, and would like to improve the lives of the common man. Unfortunately, the policies that they advocate do precisely the opposite: concentrate wealth upwards.

In this post, I intend to argue that corporate power is just another arm of the state. There is nothing inherently wrong with corporations, but modern capitalism is largely a history of corporations behaving badly. Modern capitalism – NOT the free market – is a system where the power elite are able to extract wealth from the masses and concentrate it into the hands of the few. They do this, not through the extraction of Marx’s “surplus value”, but through creating artificial scarcities and rents through the power of the state.

No, Libertarians Are Not Corporate Shills

Overpaid Union Thug

Libertarianism, right wing or left wing?

Why I Am a Left Libertarian
Ohhhhh there you libertarians go again with that "we are not like anyone else" crap. LOL. There's too many assumptions, lies, and circular logic in that article for me to work up enough energy to pick it all apart. LOL. I'm not bashing being libertarian at all. Just the attitude that some have. That article is pure garbage.

There are lots of things I can find that I have in common with libertarians. But the more I talk to them or read their thoughts online the more it seems that many of them are rather confused about just how big of a role they think the government should have. Kinda like listening to a conservative and Boener type RINO argue.

Last edited:

wkmac

The ones I'm familiar with in the media certainly qualify as shills.

Maybe you should look and consider beyond what you see in the media. If I accept what I hear in some areas of the media as true, I'd not even waste may time with you in the first place. Ponder that for a moment.

bbsam

Staff member
upload_2015-10-18_5-35-26.jpeg

SOUTHPARK LIBERTARIANS