Life outside UPS Fishing thread “show off your catch” 2021

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sometimes the fish don't cooperate for whatever reason. I go to plan B. Blue crabs are always biting.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 43

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Got a pond near me that has a large variety of fish in it. I was looking to see if any crappie had moved shallow today. I always carry a rod dedicated to catfish, since there are some nice ones here. Got a bite, set the hook and the fight was on. Thought it was a big catfish till it surfaced. It was big, ugly, and not thrilled to see me. I've only caught 2 of these in my life and the last was 50 years ago. Don't know how far these fish are found from the south.

Attachments

• IMG_4964.PNG
    IMG_4964.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Got a pond near me that has a large variety of fish in it. I was looking to see if any crappie had moved shallow today. I always carry a rod dedicated to catfish, since there are some nice ones here. Got a bite, set the hook and the fight was on. Thought it was a big catfish till it surfaced. It was big, ugly, and not thrilled to see me. I've only caught 2 of these in my life and the last was 50 years ago. Don't know how far these fish are found from the south.
Looks like a mudfish
Or bowfin for all you non mudfish calling people
Largest one I ever caught in a canal here that feeds into the lake we weighed at over 16 pounds. Too bad they’re good for nothing. Just a trash fish like a catfish but at least catfish taste good. Some people actually do eat them but they put it in a stew. I highly do not recommend eating because they taste horrible.
And I live in sc

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Or bowfin for all you non mudfish calling people
It's known by many names in the south. Shoepick, Cypress bass, Grinnell, Choupique, and yes, Mudfish. This was a big one, probably 2.5' long and fought like a submarine. Luckily I had braid with about a 20lb test shock leader. Kinda glad the hook pulled out when I was trying to get him out of the water.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
It's known by many names in the south. Shoepick, Cypress bass, Grinnell, Choupique, and yes, Mudfish. This was a big one, probably 2.5' long and fought like a submarine. Luckily I had braid with about a 20lb test shock leader. Kinda glad the hook pulled out when I was trying to get him out of the water.
Always can tell what it is soon as I see that ugly snake head pop up. They are pretty common here and quite annoying. Like catching a stingray or a turtle, you don’t want to.

Other than the mudfish the gar here are very annoying. Anytime I see any on the top of the water I just move location.

You should see the crappie and bream in the canal here. Largest bream I’ve seen was over 2lbs. Ridiculous.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
You should vacation up north and ice fish, the cold temps will make you tough. lol

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Always can tell what it is soon as I see that ugly snake head pop up. They are pretty common here and quite annoying. Like catching a stingray or a turtle, you don’t want to.

Other than the mudfish the gar here are very annoying. Anytime I see any on the top of the water I just move location.

You should see the crappie and bream in the canal here. Largest bream I’ve seen was over 2lbs. Ridiculous.
Crappie are about to bust loose down here. Late Feb/early march with the 55-60 water temps