Lighter trucks?

Packmule

I see where UPS is now bringing in new, lighter composite trucks to save fuel. Drops the weight about 900 lbs they estimate. That means in winter, I have to add about 13 more sand tubes to the 10 I already put in the back every winter just to get the slightest grip in snowy travel. Soon, there won't be any room for packages!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see where UPS is now bringing in new, lighter composite trucks to save fuel. Drops the weight about 900 lbs they estimate. That means in winter, I have to add about 13 more sand tubes to the 10 I already put in the back every winter just to get the slightest grip in snowy travel. Soon, there won't be any room for packages!

They brought in new trucks with power steering 18 years ago and some don't have them yet. I wouldn't worry. By the time you get a plastic truck you will be retired.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What would be nice for those of us who deal with snow...would be if the voids around the wheel wells and under the body had plastic water tanks installed with an easy to reach drain valve. If it snowed, you fill the tanks up with a garden hose. 50 gallons of water equals over 400 lbs of weight over the rear drive wheels, which makes a HUGE difference as far as traction in the snow goes. Then when the snow was gone, you drain the water out and enjoy the fuel savings of a lighter vehicle. Win/win.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have had to drive one of the "skinny" lightweight p-7 s with single rear wheels and pocket doors. Pure junk. They have the turning radius of a 40' school bus and they wallow down the road like a drunken camel. No joke, I actually got stuck in one of these ON WET PAVEMENT in a customers driveway, and he wound up pulling me up around the hairpin turn with a riding mower!!!

Logb17

Ya, I like the older Automatic p-7s with the dually rears. They should have at least gave the new 7s limited slip.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why not anywhere north of the mason Dixon line just use 4x4 package cars I can't believe a few thousand more per vehicle couldn't be made up pretty fast when a huge snow hit. Think no EC packages loading you up for 2 weeks after the snow and all the hours of OT the could save themselves.

browned out

They brought in new trucks with power steering 18 years ago and some don't have them yet. I wouldn't worry. By the time you get a plastic truck you will be retired.

That would be true if it was a safety improvement. The plastic trucks are a cost saving initiative; you will have one much sooner. You may have one before all the lap belt, no power steering, high step package cars are replaced.

browned out

I wonder if UPS crash tested these package cars. Have a Ford F250 or F350 going 60mph hit one in the back as if it were parked on the side of the road. It seems the truck hitting our package car would just drive right through it all the way up to the driver seat.

Hey! Sober's water tanks are a cool idea! You ought to patent that.:happy-very:
Screw that this guy should be a high ranking Teamster official. With a mind like his and the fact that he has done the job ( not like everyone else in the international ) he would be a great fit for teamsters who work for ups. Just saying