Loader to PT Supervisor? Should I do it?

nomar247

The coordinator asked me to submit a letter of intent to become a PT Supervisor.

As of now, I am a PT loader. Should I make the switch?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of becoming a Supervisor? Would you recommend the switch..?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

brett636

what I always tell new people is that if your only planning on working there for however long it takes you to get a degree and leave then go for it. You will make more money now, but over the longhaul you can make more money staying where you are. The chances of moving up into fulltime management are very slim and a lot of ass kissing is most likely required. I know guys who were part-time sups when I was new, and are still part-time supervisors to this day making a fraction of what I make as a fulltime driver with almost no possibility of advancement.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
what I always tell new people is that if your only planning on working there for however long it takes you to get a degree and leave then go for it. You will make more money now, but over the longhaul you can make more money staying where you are. The chances of moving up into fulltime management are very slim and a lot of ass kissing is most likely required. I know guys who were part-time sups when I was new, and are still part-time supervisors to this day making a fraction of what I make as a fulltime driver with almost no possibility of advancement.
Excellent advice. Ditto what I would say. Having done it, I got lucky to move to a full time position. The ptsups at my building which I moved to 18 yrs ago, seem to leave when they get a degree.
As Brett says it does look good on the resume. And I think they help with tuition, which they didnt when I had the position. Put in the letter, and research endlessly til your interview.
If it is your intent to be full time at UPS, in hourly or mgmt, I would say NO.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a long term, part-time, side job not involving your life-

IMO stay hourly.

As a long term, full-time job/career,

I say if you want to live your life clean and well, but sometimes stressful , option existing to never take your work home with you; stay hourly.

If you want to roll the dice, are young and smart, will do anything including bleed for UPS, fall under EOE (promotion key factor), willing to stress yourself 10x more than the workfoce you will manage will ever be, then go into management; take the chance.

BrownNinjaz

If you're in college then stay as a loader. Plus supervisor does not have unions. At least my supervisor is nice. Nobody is bothering me.. I swear if a supervisor or manager yells at me, I will get them later. As you can see, it sucks being a supervisor or manager. ^_^;; You'll be hated...

dillweed

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree for a million reasons, most of which have been discussed on this forum. Too much mollycoddling around being a pt sup. Thanks, btw, for that Fife quote. I had not thought of it for years and it made me laugh. Will be able to laugh again this am as I watch and listen for the preload crying to begin.

lololmao7

Quick question, if I decided to go after a PT Sup position, if I wasn't happy there, could I just drop back into my loading/un-loading position? Or would my only option be to quit?

beentheredonethat

Once you go PT supv, there's no going back to PT hourly. It's possible to go FT hourly. In some areas it's quicker to go FT driving via PT hourly, in other areas it's quicker to go FT driving via PT supv. But, don't count on going PT supv as a way to get to FT hourly. There's no guarantees for PT supvs.

As far as the original poster, if you plan on graduating college and have a good job on your resume, go PT supv. If the resume isn't that important, stay hourly.

Upser08

Absolutely try to get promoted! Obviously your supervisor sees that you have management qualities. I have been a pt sup for almost 2 years, and it has been great. It is harder than loading, unloading, or sorting because you will have to figure out how to make hourly employees work for you. I don't think there are any disadvantages. You will be held accountable for your area and your peoples attendance and running the right numbers, but you are getting paid to take on those responsibilities. Plus you will more than likely (if you choose to continue getting promoted) retire a millionaire which sounds good to me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Absolutely try to get promoted! Obviously your supervisor sees that you have management qualities. I have been a pt sup for almost 2 years, and it has been great. It is harder than loading, unloading, or sorting because you will have to figure out how to make hourly employees work for you. I don't think there are any disadvantages. You will be held accountable for your area and your peoples attendance and running the right numbers, but you are getting paid to take on those responsibilities. Plus you will more than likely (if you choose to continue getting promoted) retire a millionaire which sounds good to me.
:happy-very:

jeepupser

I would strongly reconsider the thoughts of going to be a supervisor because once you go from loader to supervisor it is hard to go back.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you don't mind making less the more hours you work, go management. If you wanna make more money the longer you work, stay hourly. If you don't want long hours period, find another job.

UPSSOCKS

Once you go PT supv, there's no going back to PT hourly. It's possible to go FT hourly. In some areas it's quicker to go FT driving via PT hourly, in other areas it's quicker to go FT driving via PT supv. But, don't count on going PT supv as a way to get to FT hourly. There's no guarantees for PT supvs.

As far as the original poster, if you plan on graduating college and have a good job on your resume, go PT supv. If the resume isn't that important, stay hourly.

WRONG!!!!! It is very possible to go back but you best not burn any bridges. You would be at the mercy of your manager.