Look out for ONLOOKERS

T

The cardinal

Any one of you guys have a ups manager or an executive who lives on your route that keeps you on your toes when you are in that area? Lets hear about it

rod

Retired 22 years
Can't say I had any that actually lived on my route but I was constantly running into customers that said their Uncle, Brother or Cousin was a "Big Wig at UPS" When asked what the "Big Wig" did- for some reason they never knew. I have a feeling they were probably part time sups somewhere.:wink2:

UPS Lifer

I had a District Manager live in my center. After the initial shock from the first call, and a general alert to all the drivers LOL! .... He was just like any other customer. Every once in awhile I would get a call about a driver not wearing a seat belt or bulkhead door being open.

feeder53

ADKtrails
It would not matter to me, I do the best job I can at all times.....Be it a regular customer or the president. They all paid for the service...no more no less.

UPS Lifer

One of my pet peeves was someone sticking their nose into my operation. I wouldn't want to see a driver get into trouble and have a district manager tell me what sort of discipline to take.

If you follow proper procedures .... you never have to worry about this.

Fishbulb

My old center manager lived on one of the routes I did & would leave packages at his house during peak season so they werent left in building. We would either go pick them up or he'd go home & bring them out to us to be delivered. Sounds pretty shady I know but he was a damn good center manager & a damn good guy in general. The kind of boss you were happy to work for cause he knew how to treat his drivers right. I used to have the loss prevention guy follow me around at least once a month but I could spot the guy 3 miles away, he would've never made it in espionage thats for sure

Fnix

My old center manager lived on one of the routes I did & would leave packages at his house during peak season so they werent left in building. We would either go pick them up or he'd go home & bring them out to us to be delivered. Sounds pretty shady I know but he was a damn good center manager & a damn good guy in general. The kind of boss you were happy to work for cause he knew how to treat his drivers right. I used to have the loss prevention guy follow me around at least once a month but I could spot the guy 3 miles away, he would've never made it in espionage thats for sure

Did he have a big house?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have this one big subdivision on my area that has 10 to 12 UPS employees living in it. Two Package Drivers, one Feeder Driver, a couple of Preloaders, and and at least six people that work in Corp. Nobody that is way up the Corp ladder though. I used to have a guy in there that was the Corp Building Manager, but he moved a few years a go. He and his wife had a shipping account since they ran a National Mustang Club from there house. He had about a dozen Mustangs and used to drive a hot rod to work everyday. They were nice folks, I was sorry to see them move after he retired. They never offered me use of their Florida condo though.............:dissapointed:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to have the district Loss Prevention manager on my route. He started getting these packages to his house that were adult sig requred, and addressed to a fictitious jewelry company. I asked him about them, and he told me that the packages contained dye packs to detect tampering/theft and were part of a "sting" operation being run against a suspected thief in a hub somewhere. I notifed my manager that I was aware of the sting and that I didnt want to handle them any more for fear that they would leak or break and I would be falsely accused.

ol'browneye

Back in the day when we were on paper and had all that paperwork to do at the end of the day my last stop one day was on my center manager's street. I delivered the pkg. then stayed in the truck and did my paperwork. The next day the center manager said "My wife says you were sitting on our street for quite a while yesterday." I told him I had alot of paperwork to do because I was in 10 different loops that day. He just laughed and gave me a look as if to say "I told her to mind her own business."

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Here's a reverse on the ONLOOKERS. back when my children were little it seemed like 3 or 4 drivers would see my wife and them out and about, shopping, eating, banking etc.. I'd casually mention where all they were that day at supper. My wife would ask then who told me. My 4 year old son would say all them UPS drivers!