Lost job was told unionized

Outsider

Well from begining I'll try to make it breif. I quit a good job to do work as a casual/temp for driving package car. I told hr i wanted mechanics job I am taking the job as temp just so I meet who I have to meet to get there. I worked the season it was tough had no helper and construction on half route during peak and still managed 250 stops. My center manager was very pleased and knew I wanted mechanics job. I gave resumes out like hotcakes just in case too.
After Jan 10 got laid off and got a call back for mechanics late January. Started on Feb 22 as journey mechanic. I was working stationed out of a building 30 min away. I had to cover 4 other buildings furthest away being 40 minutes. I was doing good and on 3rd week review I was told a union guy got my job for whatever reason and wanted me to drive 1hr 30 min away to new building to be based out of. 1hr 30 min being the closest I would have to cover and 2 hr 30 min being the farthest. I declined and said I can't travel those distances to go to work every day. Then they made me sign exit form and such and was talking to me as if I was quitting

Outsider

O sry I asked them if I can come back when there's another position for mechanic open and of course they yes ed me to death. The sup and other mechanics looked very sincere but just wondering if I should hold my breath and take a bs job for now or is it lost cause

Outsider

Also when I left sup made me sign forms and said your declining are offer for work. I said no the position I took. Your telling me is no longer available so I am wondering if I am going to get fought for unemployment.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well from begining I'll try to make it breif. I quit a good job to do work as a casual/temp for driving package car. I told hr i wanted mechanics job I am taking the job as temp just so I meet who I have to meet to get there. I worked the season it was tough had no helper and construction on half route during peak and still managed 250 stops. My center manager was very pleased and knew I wanted mechanics job. I gave resumes out like hotcakes just in case too.
After Jan 10 got laid off and got a call back for mechanics late January. Started on Feb 22 as journey mechanic. I was working stationed out of a building 30 min away. I had to cover 4 other buildings furthest away being 40 minutes. I was doing good and on 3rd week review I was told a union guy got my job for whatever reason and wanted me to drive 1hr 30 min away to new building to be based out of. 1hr 30 min being the closest I would have to cover and 2 hr 30 min being the farthest. I declined and said I can't travel those distances to go to work every day. Then they made me sign exit form and such and was talking to me as if I was quitting

The union guy was probably already a UPS mechanic that transferred from another building.

You did quit. They offered you a job almost 2 hours away that you refused. I can see why, but you refused the job, essentially quitting.

You never considered moving for an $80,000/yr job?

Outsider

The farthest building was 2 hrs 30 min up north jersey/ny . That time was according to the GPS. With traffic would turn into 6 hrs of travel time easy

Outsider

The guy was a union member who relocated but they hired me already and are backed up on work pretty bad. Idk why they couldn't open another postion

Outsider

I was told by some if I "quit" then I don't have a chance of being rehired? but I was on phone with a Manger and he said they will call me first opening. I just am wondering if it's an empty promise

Outsider

Yea it didn't think so maybe just seeing what others thought I could do. I thought I finally made it to green pastures but winded up flat on my face and back a few peggs. Guess it's back to finding a good secured job again lol

10 point

I was told by some if I "quit" then I don't have a chance of being rehired? but I was on phone with a Manger and he said they will call me first opening. I just am wondering if it's an empty promise
There may be stipulations that allow you to get unemployment if your only choice was to drive 2+ hrs one way to continue to work at UPS. OBES would know better than most of us.

Also, there's always "empty promises" about jobs here ....

until there's an emergency opening in manning.

upschuck

Mechanics don't change too often, therefore openings are few and far between.

Outsider

Yea. I probably did screw myself. But it was just too far I didn't want to show up late all the time and I would a had to leave half early on top of travel time for closers buildings too the one 2 and half hours away maybe an hour earlier