Lost

Longtime lurker 1st time poster here. Complicated situation. I worked for ups for 7 years. Started as a seasonal Walker got asked to stay on as preload. Got asked to stay on and apply for preload supe. Knew enough by that point to say hella no!! Got accepted as full time driver for 4 years. Just a note I worked out if a very small center. 18 routes. 1 manager/supe. 1 ecs clerk that did returns internationals dmgs timecards counter work customer service etc. Drivers were required to fuel wash and keep clean their own trucks. Drivers were also required to do their own local sort. We have a manager that doesn't care and a very weak union rep and a ba that I suspect is corrupt . I actually quit due to the harassment and intimidation but have been unable to leave ups behind. As for the level of harrassment imagine being blocked in the back of your truck by your manager and union rep and being yelled at for close to an hour being told that I can't leave until they finish. Then getting written up for your overallowed. They said it was because u was stealing company time. Imagine being walked in on in the bathroom by you male manager because the locks don't work. Imagine breaking your ankle walking g across a construction site while delivering a pkg and being suspended for not following work procedures. Imagine working In a center where a bid route list hasn't been posted in 4 years. Now when I went to hr about this manager I got a no answer runaround. Nothing was done. I dont trust my union steward because of the whole blocking me in the truck incident. I went to my ba and he told me he wouldn't accept my harrassment greivance because it was too hard to win. When I went above his head to the national union office it got bumped down the chain and I got a stern talking to by 2 lvls of management my union rep and my ba and was close to being accused of having an agenda. I lived my job but management made it impossible to stay the last few straws were being reprimanded for using the diad to communicate and to use my personal cell phone instead. The ba said the reprimand was valid. So I guess my question is can anyone on here think of any avenues to pursue to try and resolve this? Btw harrassment does not constitute a human rights violation. And the labor board says because I am part of a union they can't help either. Sry for the long post. Kudos to those who read it.

542thruNthru

Longtime lurker 1st time poster here. Complicated situation. I worked for ups for 7 years. Started as a seasonal Walker got asked to stay on as preload. Got asked to stay on and apply for preload supe. Knew enough by that point to say hella no!! Got accepted as full time driver for 4 years. Just a note I worked out if a very small center. 18 routes. 1 manager/supe. 1 ecs clerk that did returns internationals dmgs timecards counter work customer service etc. Drivers were required to fuel wash and keep clean their own trucks. Drivers were also required to do their own local sort. We have a manager that doesn't care and a very weak union rep and a ba that I suspect is corrupt . I actually quit due to the harassment and intimidation but have been unable to leave ups behind. As for the level of harrassment imagine being blocked in the back of your truck by your manager and union rep and being yelled at for close to an hour being told that I can't leave until they finish. Then getting written up for your overallowed. They said it was because u was stealing company time. Imagine being walked in on in the bathroom by you male manager because the locks don't work. Imagine breaking your ankle walking g across a construction site while delivering a pkg and being suspended for not following work procedures. Imagine working In a center where a bid route list hasn't been posted in 4 years. Now when I went to hr about this manager I got a no answer runaround. Nothing was done. I dont trust my union steward because of the whole blocking me in the truck incident. I went to my ba and he told me he wouldn't accept my harrassment greivance because it was too hard to win. When I went above his head to the national union office it got bumped down the chain and I got a stern talking to by 2 lvls of management my union rep and my ba and was close to being accused of having an agenda. I lived my job but management made it impossible to stay the last few straws were being reprimanded for using the diad to communicate and to use my personal cell phone instead. The ba said the reprimand was valid. So I guess my question is can anyone on here think of any avenues to pursue to try and resolve this? Btw harrassment does not constitute a human rights violation. And the labor board says because I am part of a union they can't help either. Sry for the long post. Kudos to those who read it.

Talk to a lawyer

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
OP said that he quit right? You thInk they’d fight to get him back if it was voluntary?
Honestly, I'm not sure if the op is trying to get his(her?) job back or not. If the local wouldn't help him, and the international sent him back to the local, the nlrb may be his best bet at getting the union to do their job. Since it was a voluntary quit due to harassment and lack of representation, I imagine it would be possible to be reinstated.

I did quit because of the harassment. I had 4 years of it with very little support. I would not choose to go back under the current management. But since I am no longer there management has a new target. She just got back from stress leave after being diagnosed with PTSD. Also it should be noted I'm in canada. I've seen a few posts for the north side of things on here so I'm holding some hope. I also went from making 135k a year to 20k on ei. I guess I'm hoping for resolution of some sort and def help for the close friends I left behind. I will definitely look into free legal advice angle. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure if the op is trying to get his(her?) job back or not. If the local wouldn't help him, and the international sent him back to the local, the nlrb may be his best bet at getting the union to do their job. Since it was a voluntary quit due to harassment and lack of representation, I imagine it would be possible to be reinstated.

What did you mean by lack of representation?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What did you mean by lack of representation?

Well, being in Canada may change my suggestions. I really have no idea how things work up there. In the US the National Labor Relation Board regulates unions and protects employees' right to bargain collectively. One important rule is that, as a part of a union, you have the right to representation. Your steward, ba or union rep have an obligation to represent you, and failure to do that is grounds for a complaint. If they participate in the harassment or take management's side against you, they would be derelict in their duties.

Since I'm not in Canada, and have had no cause to look into how things work up there, I have no idea of what protections you should have been entitled to. It seems like Canada would have stricter laws protecting employee's rights, but I really don't know. I would still recommend talking with a lawyer, or seeking some sort of legal aid.