Making tha transition (pros and cons of managment)

brownboss

Brownblood
im needing 2 know from any1 wat r tha positves and negatives 2 goin n2 managment w u.p.s...ive been offered a position on numerous occasions...but keep hearinf diff things as 2 why i shuldnt...ive been w brown 4 7rys and i c it as an opportunity 2 go n2 managment...but im told if i evr wanna drive then thatll be out of tha question

upsgrunt

I'm not trying to be crass, but complete sentences and decent spelling might not be one of your strong points. If you make the jump, these are the first two things I would work on or you will get ripped to pieces by your bosses the first week. Just my opinion

Bob Loblaw

Raw

Raw Member
im needing 2 know from any1 wat r tha positves and negatives 2 goin n2 managment w u.p.s...ive been offered a position on numerous occasions...but keep hearinf diff things as 2 why i shuldnt...ive been w brown 4 7rys and i c it as an opportunity 2 go n2 managment...but im told if i evr wanna drive then thatll be out of tha question
Evry1 has oprtnty 2 go n2 mgmt , aul U do s snd ltr 2 Corp & U B in!

ImpactedTSG

Go back to 5th grade English class, learn to spell, learn grammar, learn punctuation, and then go back to the rest of the other English levels you missed (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th). Repeat the above steps as necessary.

ihadit

I know this is you Mike, are you finally looking for a change. Scotty isn't putting words in your mouth again is he?

worldwide

brownboss,

Try submitting your letter of intent in the same format as your message here and see if you are still a candidate. Your message here was better suited to MySpace or text messaging teenagers but it's NBD. Good luck with your career.

brownboss

Brownblood
Jesus.....ok im going 2 assume that any1 who didnt understand any of that 1st post is idk double my age lol..just maybe......look....wtf didnt u understand in that 1st post? its called shorthand...and yea it is fit texting than it is anything else but why shuldnt u understand it?...so hows this im going 2 TYPE out whole words so u can understand...i simply asked what were tha pros and cons into makin tha transition into managment?...wow im glad that a simply post in a discussion room on a website has SOOOO much 2do w my bright future at u.p.s

UPS Lifer

brownboss,
I will just skip dising the shorthand. UPS doesn't use short hand (except for drivers who ODS (message) the center. Soooo start using a keyboard if you want to go into mgmt!

It would be easier to give you advice if we know your goals.
Is this a PT or FT position?
How much experience do you have at UPS?
Are you looking for a career or is this a stepping stone to something else?
What are you looking to get out of a position in mgmt?
Are you willing to be flexible in the hours you work and at different locations? UPS works around the clock - 7 days a week.

Two quick points...Once you go into mgmt...there is no going back and you don't have a union to protect you (not that you may need it).

diesel96

Part of mngt skills is being able to follow directions the 1st time your told.Even on your 2nd post you displayed shorthand/tex. and miss-spelling.This is a cardinal Sin,you've already been disqualified.So try again next year when you gain some more experience and knowledge.

OMG.....WTF..... ROTF....LMAO
People who pay for their teengager's cell phone will know where I coming from.$$$$

UPS mngmt. wants professionals.So if you can't BE professional at least ACT professional on your resume/interview.
This is coming from an hourly who wants nothing to do with mngmt....Good Luck...Don't forget to write legible.

tups

Jesus.....ok im going 2 assume that any1 who didnt understand any of that 1st post is idk double my age lol..just maybe......look....wtf didnt u understand in that 1st post? its called shorthand...and yea it is fit texting than it is anything else but why shuldnt u understand it?...so hows this im going 2 TYPE out whole words so u can understand...i simply asked what were tha pros and cons into makin tha transition into managment?...wow im glad that a simply post in a discussion room on a website has SOOOO much 2do w my bright future at u.p.s

Still having a problem with the spelling and grammar? Good luck putting on that tie man.
Not a single driver will understand anything you write in ODS messages. I'd start there first.

LKLND3380

You will need to know when and where to use - two, to, too and 2... Also when to use won, one and 1... Maybe Sea, see cee and if you are speaking spanish si...

brownboss

Brownblood
hmmmm wow....i really had no idea that my "grammer" or lack there of used in these post would offend so many ppl....i also didnt know realize that my questions about mgmt in "here" was the same as a resume...my God i feel like i was secretly talkin to Mike Eskew and is buddies in here..i guess i have to realize what type of ppl im dealing w in here so umm..anyhow...since "upslifer" seemed to be the only one to attempt to answer my ?....heres the deal...i do in fact want to go from pt to ft in mgmt...u said theres no turning back once you do?..as far as getting back into the union?...ive seen otherwise....ive seen managers get back in the union and become drivers...im told it just takes extra longer...you go literally to the bottom of the list...but im not concerned with that...my main reason for wanting to get into managment is bc i dont wanna drive..so to answer your question yes iam willing to be flexible w my hours...im willing to do whatever i just kinda wanted an idea if it would be a good idea...a "center manager" is actually the position im eventually wanting to get..theres so many ppl in our hub that say its a negative being in managment...also does anyone know what percentage they pay you versus how much u make as an hourly when u do transition...

worldwide

brownboss,

How many managers and supervisors at the building where you work have you had this discussion with? What did they tell you? If you have not spoken to them, that is where you shoud start. You said that your main reason for wanting to get into managment is because you dont want to drive. That answer will not get you promoted. You need a better reason than that. You will be working with drivers all day long as a Business Manager so you need to know the driving job inside and out and have an appreciation for what that job involves. You also have to demonstrate success in your current job before moving on to another job. Do you have a degree? You will most likely need a degree to be considered a candidate. I recommend talking to the supervisors and managers in the building you work for to get their advice. They know the opportunities that are available and know which people you need to talk to.

And yes, if you are a candidate for management, you are always "on" so be professional at all times and skip the text message grammer, the bold font and incomplete sentences.

hoser

Industrial Slob
every few weeks these threads come up and every few weeks there's this general consensus:

pro: good pay, benefits, room for advancement
con: you're treated worse than you were as a unionized employee

Channahon

BrownBoss,

What UPS do you work at, I have never seen a management person go back to hourly ranks.

u said theres no turning back once you do?..as far as getting back into the union?...ive seen otherwise....ive seen managers get back in the union and become drivers..

You may want to rethink the driving position. That is the very backbone to our delivery and pick up service. I have never seen a successful package sup who has never driven.

my main reason for wanting to get into managment is bc i dont wanna drive..

As far as the pros and cons of management. Every UPS employee decides what job is best for them. Take the advice of worldwide and make your decision from there.

Griff

my main reason for wanting to get into managment is bc i dont wanna drive..a "center manager" is actually the position im eventually wanting to get

This mentality is certainly nothing new, don't want to drive, but want to tell veteran drivers how to drive. Put your letter in, you sound exactly like the type of canvas upper management paints with these days.