McCains relationship with JOHN HAGEE....

BrownShark

Banned
John C. Hagee (born April 12, 1940) is the founder and senior pastor of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas, a non-denominational evangelical church with more than 19,000 active members. [1] John Hagee is CEO at his non-profit corporation, Global Evangelism Television (GETV).
Hagee is the President and CEO of John Hagee Ministries, which telecasts his national radio and television ministry carried in the United States on 160 TV stations, 50 radio stations and eight networks, including The Inspiration Network (INSP) and Trinity Broadcasting Network. The ministries can be seen and heard weekly in 99 million homes. John Hagee Ministries is in Canada on the Miracle Channel and CTS and can be seen in Africa, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and is in most third world nations.[2]
He is also the president and CEO of Global Evangelism Television, which telecasts his radio and television ministry. Hagee helped found Christians United for Israel on February 7, 2006 as a "Christian AIPAC" lobbying Congress to support Israel.[3] He has incurred some controversy for his comments regarding Catholicism, Islam, Homosexuality, women, blacks, and hurricane Katrina. [4]

On August 26, 1960, Hagee married his first wife Martha; they had two children, Christopher and Tish.[5] In October 1966, Hagee founded Trinity Church in San Antonio, Texas.[9]
He resigned his pastorate in May 1975, purportedly saying "my marriage had collapsed and I became immoral in my personal conduct" in his resignation statement.[10] Hagee and his wife divorced in September 1975.[11]
Hagee married his second wife, Diana Castro, a member of the congregation 12 years his junior, on April 12, 1976.[12][10][5] Due to the bylaws of his Assemblies of God denomination, Hagee could no longer be ordained or licensed within and was defrocked[13], but sued the denomination for millions of dollars for defamation of character. Today, Hagee and his wife Diana have three children: Christina, Matthew, and Sandy. Matthew Hagee is the Associate Pastor of Cornerstone Church [14].
Immediately after resigning his first pastorate at Trinity Church, Hagee founded Castle Hills Assembly, later known as the Church of Castle Hills, on Mother's Day 1975.[citation needed] Hagee's 5,000 seat Cornerstone Church was dedicated On October 4, 1987. Dr. W. A. Criswell of Dallas anointed Hagee and Diana before the congregation.[citation needed]
Today, Trinity Church is located 7.3 miles from Hagee's Cornerstone Church on the same stretch of highway in San Antonio.
Hagee has written a number of best-selling books and is a Southern Gospel recording artist. [15]

end part -Hagee

BrownShark

Banned
Hagee has been criticized for his statements about Israel, the Roman Catholic Church and Islam. One notable critic is journalist Bill Moyers, who claims that Hagee and other evangelicals are working towards supporting the religious right. He states, "Someone who didn't know better could imagine from the very name Christians United For Israel - CUFI -that pastor John Hagee speaks for all Christians. Well, he doesn't... What these fellows have forged is a close connection between the White House and the religious right."[32]
Some Jewish leaders, such as Rabbi Eric Yoffie, criticized Hagee for being an "extremist" on Israeli policy and for disparaging other faiths including Islam and Roman Catholicism.[33]

Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights president William Donohue issued the following remarks regarding Senator John McCain’s ties to Hagee:
Now that he has secured the Republican nomination for president, and has received the endorsement of President Bush, McCain will now embark on a series of fundraising events.
When he meets with Catholics, he is going to be asked about his ties to Hagee. He should also be asked whether he approves of comments like this: "A Godless theology of hate that no one dared try to stop for a thousand years produced a harvest of hate."
That quote is proudly cited by David Brog in his recent book, Standing with Israel. Both Brog and Hagee clearly identify the Roman Catholic Church as spawning a "theology of hate."
This is nothing if not hate speech. There are so many good evangelical leaders in this country—Dr. James Dobson, Dr. Richard Land, Tony Perkins, Gary Bauer, Dr. Al Mohler, Chuck Colson—and none has ever insulted Catholicism.[34]
The "Godless theology" quotation is taken from Hagee's 1987 work Should Christians Support Israel? (p. 4)[35]
Hagee's attack against Christian antisemitism in his book Jerusalem Countdown claimed that Adolf Hitler's antisemitism derived especially from his Catholic background, and that the Catholic Church under Pope Pius XII encouraged Nazism instead of denouncing it. (pp. 79-81) [36] He also states that the Roman Catholic Church "plunged the world into the Dark Ages," allowed for the Crusaders to rape and murder with impunity, and called for Jews to be treated as "Christ killers". (p. 73) Later in the book (pp. 81-2), however, he praises Pope John Paul II for repudiating past antisemitism in the Roman Catholic Church.
Hagee claimed in March 2008, “I’ve learned that some have accused me of referring to the Catholic Church as the ‘great whore,’ of Revelations. This is a serious misinterpretation of my words. When I refer to the ‘great whore,’ I am referring to the apostate church, namely those Christians who embrace the false cult system of Jew-hatred and antisemitism.” [37]
Donohue rejected Hagee's explanation as disingenuous: "Anti-Catholic Protestants have long labeled the Catholic Church "The Great Whore", and no amount of spin can change that reality. No one who knows anything about the term would suggest otherwise."[38] Furthermore, Hagee did identify (the Great Whore of) Babylon as Rome in his book From Daniel to Doomsday (1999), in a way that melded reference to the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church: "The evidence would point to Rome...It was Rome where Nero wrapped Christians in oily rags and hung them on lampposts, setting them ablaze to light his gardens. It was Rome that orchestrated the Crusades where Jews were slaughtered...It was Rome that orchestrated the Inquisitions throughout the known world where "heretics" were burned at the stake or pulled in half on torture racks because they were not Roman Catholic." (pp. 10-11)

end part 2 -Hagee

BrownShark

Banned
Hagee attributed the persecution of Jews throughout history, implicitly including the Holocaust, to disobedience, thereby attracting accusations of antisemitism:[42]
It was the disobedience and rebellion of the Jews, God's chosen people, to their covenantal responsibility to serve only the one true God, Jehovah, that gave rise to the opposition and persecution that they experienced beginning in Canaan and continuing to this very day... Their own rebellion had birthed the seed of antisemitism that would arise and bring destruction to them for centuries to come.... it rises from the judgment of God upon his rebellious chosen people.[43]
In the book, Hagee cites material from the Jewish tradition (Jeremiah 9:13-16; 44:2-4, 15-17) to justify this view.

In 2003, the San Antonio Express-News reported that, in 2001 alone, John Hagee had received over 1.25 million dollars in total compensation for his position as CEO at the non-profit corporation, Global Evangelism Television (GETV). This made him one of the highest-paid televangelists in 2001 [45].
According to the Form 990 that GETV filed for tax year 2003, Hagee received almost a million dollars in compensation for his work for GETV that year, which amounted to approximately 16 hours per week [46]. (The GETV Board of Directors, which determines his pay, consisted of John Hagee himself, his wife, his son, and a Cornerstone Church member.) However, because he claimed that he worked "80 hours a week" writing books, singing songs, meeting international dignitaries and answering the call to preach the word of God, John Hagee argued: "I deserve every dime I'm getting". Other observers, including many evangelical Christians, criticize Hagee's handling of finances [47]. Considering his combined pay from both donor-supported ministries (his separate church and TV ministries), his pay has been over $1 million per year.
Hagee said he was certain his finances complied with requirements of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) because he hired tax lawyers and accountants to make sure that his books complied with tax laws. Hagee said, 'We want a set of books so that when the IRS comes in here and looks they'll say, those people are clean'", Hagee said. "And I am waiting for the day that the IRS is going to come look at our books. I have spent a chunk of money waiting for them" [45].
In September 2004, Hagee re-registered GETV as a church under the name Grace Church of San Antonio, and became exempt from filing detailed returns with the IRS. A further reorganization in July 2006 moved all assets into Cornerstone Church. [48]

[edit] John McCain 2008 presidential endorsement

Hagee has endorsed Senator John McCain in the 2008 presidential election.
A video of McCain at a Houston town hall meeting shows him stating, “Yesterday, Pastor John Hagee endorsed my candidacy for president in San Antonio, Texas. However, in no way did I intend for his endorsement to suggest that I in turn agree with all of Pastor Hagee’s views, which I obviously do not," [49] This controversial endorsement was seen as key for McCain, who has struggled to win the support of the Christian right.[50] However, McCain has distanced himself from Hagee due to his controversial statements,[51] such as his "claims that Hurricane Katrina was 'the judgment of God against New Orleans'". Concerns over the risks of religious endorsement have been expressed, despite attempts of some religious leaders to remain neutral.[52] On April 20, 2008, while appearing on This Week with George Stephanopoulos, and after criticizing Barack Obama's repudiation of Bill Ayers, McCain said that it was "probably a mistake" to court and accept Hagee's endorsement, although he's still glad to have it.[53][54][55]

BrownShark

Banned
Interesting to see how republicans want to condemn Rev Wrights views and his association with Barak Obama as a disqualifier for the Presidency, yet John McCain can openly COURT the support of this religious whackjob and accept his endorsement just to garner the religious right.

Indeed, McCain denounced Hagees words, but he WONT denounce the man as Obama has done recently.

Hagee's obvious distorted views on the world hardly represent the true christian values of this country, and I would hope there would be no American who would stand up for this creep.

Oh yeah, John McCain has.

Hate speech is hate speech. Rev Wright blames white america for all the problems and Rev Hagee blames everyone for everything.

The catholic church to John Hagee are nothing more than murderers and sinners.

Yet, he has a voice in the Bush White House.

The guy is a tax schemer, a cheater to his first wife, and a thief of congregational money.

Is this relationship any better than Barak and Rev Wright?

Peace.:peaceful:

(fair and balanced reporting) lmao

brett636

I know you will have a tough time processing this, but McCain did not sit in Hagee's Pews for 20 years. He did not get married by Hagee, have his kids baptized by Hagee, or write a book based on a sermon by Hagee. You will never get this, but Hagee and McCain is not an issue because of these simple facts.

av8torntn

Seems very different to me. Just from what you posted it seems all Hagee did was endorse McCain. According to B. Hussein Obama the Rev. Wright was his pastor, and mentor for 20 years. He was also a member of his campaign. It may be the same to you but it seems like two very different things to me but I am not voting for either one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Seems very different to me. Just from what you posted it seems all Hagee did was endorse McCain. According to B. Hussein Obama the Rev. Wright was his pastor, and mentor for 20 years. He was also a member of his campaign. It may be the same to you but it seems like two very different things to me but I am not voting for either one.

I didn't have you figured for a Hillary supporter, shows what I know :happy-very:

BrownShark

Banned
AV8,

Well, the matter is a bit more complicated then just an endorsement.

John McCain actively courted the endorsement of John Hagee because it was suppose to bring him closer to right wing evangelicals who would not otherwise vote for him.

With the support of John Hagee, McCain believes he can springboard to other right wing evangelical movements in the country.

The problem, JOHN HAGEE.

This hate speech right wing wacko is just as extremist as Rev Wright. To single out Rev Wrights "personal" views and expand those to Barak Obama because he was associated with Rev Wright on a personal level is simply rediculous.

John McCain should have done his homework and researched John Hagee before he went to his church to seek his endorsement.

If Obama can be critisized for an association to rev wright, then McCain can be critisized for attempting to find a bridge to get to evangelic voters thru a right wing extremist christian.

This is about decision making and a thought process.

Did John McCain show good judgement in seeking a guy with a checkered past and hatred towards other religions?

Judgement is Judgement.

Bad judgement is bad judgement on both political sides.

av8torntn

AV8,

Well, the matter is a bit more complicated then just an endorsement.

John McCain actively courted the endorsement of John Hagee because it was suppose to bring him closer to right wing evangelicals who would not otherwise vote for him.

With the support of John Hagee, McCain believes he can springboard to other right wing evangelical movements in the country.

The problem, JOHN HAGEE.

This hate speech right wing wacko is just as extremist as Rev Wright. To single out Rev Wrights "personal" views and expand those to Barak Obama because he was associated with Rev Wright on a personal level is simply rediculous.

John McCain should have done his homework and researched John Hagee before he went to his church to seek his endorsement.

If Obama can be critisized for an association to rev wright, then McCain can be critisized for attempting to find a bridge to get to evangelic voters thru a right wing extremist christian.

This is about decision making and a thought process.

Did John McCain show good judgement in seeking a guy with a checkered past and hatred towards other religions?

Judgement is Judgement.

Bad judgement is bad judgement on both political sides.

Just can't see how any sane person would even think these two things are close but hey I hope you guys run with it. It would get you farther than just calling everyone racist which is where I thought you guys are heading before the end. So by your reasoning if sometime within the next 20 years Sen. McCain seeks distance between him and Hagee he has better judgement than Sen. B. Hussein Obama. So if it takes 19 years he would be one year quicker than B. Hussein Obama. Interesting theory you have.

BrownShark

Banned
Just can't see how any sane person would even think these two things are close but hey I hope you guys run with it. It would get you farther than just calling everyone racist which is where I thought you guys are heading before the end. So by your reasoning if sometime within the next 20 years Sen. McCain seeks distance between him and Hagee he has better judgement than Sen. B. Hussein Obama. So if it takes 19 years he would be one year quicker than B. Hussein Obama. Interesting theory you have.

AV8,

John McCain is leaving the situation of Rev Wright alone...he knows that if "HE" brings out the issue, John Hagee will come back to haunt "HIM".

Today, McCain said enough was enough and "HE" will not use the Wright issue in the general campaign.

Smart move on his part.

There are probably other right wing wackos out there lurking in the republican woodshed.

av8torntn

AV8,

John McCain is leaving the situation of Rev Wright alone...he knows that if "HE" brings out the issue, John Hagee will come back to haunt "HIM".

Today, McCain said enough was enough and "HE" will not use the Wright issue in the general campaign.

Smart move on his part.

There are probably other right wing wackos out there lurking in the republican woodshed.

So you are saying he is a smart politician. I never would have guessed a smart politician would get nomination of one of the two major political parties. Hmm nothing to see here I'm moving on.

tieguy

Banned
Interesting to see how republicans want to condemn Rev Wrights views and his association with Barak Obama as a disqualifier for the Presidency, yet John McCain can openly COURT the support of this religious whackjob and accept his endorsement just to garner the religious right.

BS your material does not support your point you're trying to make. I keep looking and do not see where McCain spent twenty years sitting in hagee pews. Nor do I see where mccin was a member of hagee's church. Nor do I see where hagee married mccain and his wife. Nor do I see where mccain appointed hagee to head his religious council. I also see per your material where McCain accepts hagees endorsment while clearly stating he does not agree with the guy.

Not sure if anyone ever told you this before but stretching the truth is the same as lying. Something you should think about.:peaceful:

Overpaid Union Thug

BS your material does not support your point you're trying to make. I keep looking and do not see where McCain spent twenty years sitting in hagee pews. Nor do I see where mccin was a member of hagee's church. Nor do I see where hagee married mccain and his wife. Nor do I see where mccain appointed hagee to head his religious council. I also see per your material where McCain accepts hagees endorsment while clearly stating he does not agree with the guy.

Great post Tie! This was a sad attempt at paralleling Obama's long relationship with "Reverend" Wright with McCain and Hagee only there was a major problem with the whole thing.......they don't compare! LOL!

Not sure if anyone ever told you this before but stretching the truth is the same as lying. Something you should think about.:peaceful:

I think you hit the bulls eye with that one.

R

ranknfiler

Just listen to you guys....stop playing the game they want you to play...both are making this election about personalities and who knew who and what OTHER PEOPLE have said...this election about how the conservtive "movement" is over! After decades of bitching and moaning about liberal this and that....they came to power in the congress jan 1995 and "took" the presidency in jan 2001....they have demonstrated quite effectively that they were all talk all along...They cannot govern (in the future repubs should be delagated to be heads of corporations or prison guards or militaryleaders ...leave governing to the party that believes in good government...that is the dems or greens...let them fight it out evry two or four yrs)...they give the store away to the wealthy and the powerful (thats our tax $ they hand out to their corp puppets)....and to top it off , they cant even do what you would expect repubs to do well....FIGHT WARS (tried doing it on the cheap...why should they care , its their sons /daughters dying over there)

Their time has come and past...they have shot their load and the American people have rejected their sick social Darwinist ideology...poll after poll reveals this...it is just that they are so good at "getting" (see Florida 2000, Ohio 2004, Georgia 2002, etc) "elected" ...once in power, they are useless and even harmful to the great majority of us working people

Again, this election should be about the issues...and which party stands up ot the powerful and which party is controlled by the powerful (since in this country there is no labor party or anything near it , we are stuck with the dem party) In the end, with mccane youo get more or less of the same ...more war or wars and a social darwin attitud toward the economy..dogeatdog. plus many regressive attitudes towards social issues. WIth clinton or obama, we are offered something differnt, along with hope of new ideas and a new direction(last poll had 81% saying us going in wrong direction) W e all know what direction we =want to go in...lets stop deflecting attention from where we want to go....vote the party... vote the issues...vote for change. In solidarity

at majority of us working people

brett636

Just listen to you guys....stop playing the game they want you to play...both are making this election about personalities and who knew who and what OTHER PEOPLE have said...this election about how the conservtive "movement" is over! After decades of bitching and moaning about liberal this and that....they came to power in the congress jan 1995 and "took" the presidency in jan 2001....they have demonstrated quite effectively that they were all talk all along...They cannot govern (in the future repubs should be delagated to be heads of corporations or prison guards or militaryleaders ...leave governing to the party that believes in good government...that is the dems or greens...let them fight it out evry two or four yrs)...they give the store away to the wealthy and the powerful (thats our tax $ they hand out to their corp puppets)....and to top it off , they cant even do what you would expect repubs to do well....FIGHT WARS (tried doing it on the cheap...why should they care , its their sons /daughters dying over there)

Their time has come and past...they have shot their load and the American people have rejected their sick social Darwinist ideology...poll after poll reveals this...it is just that they are so good at "getting" (see Florida 2000, Ohio 2004, Georgia 2002, etc) "elected" ...once in power, they are useless and even harmful to the great majority of us working people

Again, this election should be about the issues...and which party stands up ot the powerful and which party is controlled by the powerful (since in this country there is no labor party or anything near it , we are stuck with the dem party) In the end, with mccane youo get more or less of the same ...more war or wars and a social darwin attitud toward the economy..dogeatdog. plus many regressive attitudes towards social issues. WIth clinton or obama, we are offered something differnt, along with hope of new ideas and a new direction(last poll had 81% saying us going in wrong direction) W e all know what direction we =want to go in...lets stop deflecting attention from where we want to go....vote the party... vote the issues...vote for change. In solidarity

at majority of us working people

I am a working person in fear of what the B. Hussein Obama or Hillary will bring us. One is a socialist, the other a marxist, and both believe in wealth redistribution along with a socialized medicine program which will fail within our lifetimes.

I'm a working person who believes higher taxes do not benefit me. I am a working person who believes in more liberty, not less. I am a working person who believes pulling out of Iraq will be a grave mistake.

If you want to talk about games we can talk about this class warfare where the dems wish to pit middle class versus upper class, and lower class against the middle class. The democrats political success hinges on making people believe we live in a caste society similar to India's. Its the democrats who needs us to lose in Iraq in order to attain the political power they are foaming at the mouth to get. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would vote for a party which stands for these values.

wkmac

this election about how the conservtive "movement" is over! After decades of bitching and moaning about liberal this and that....they came to power in the congress jan 1995 and "took" the presidency in jan 2001....they have demonstrated quite effectively that they were all talk all along...leave governing to the party that believes in good government...that is the dems or greens

I was reading this post and going along thinking WOW! what wisdom in that observation and then I got to that last part above and realized it was all a comedic break! Thank's for the laugh!

:rofl:

Let me know when you do the Comedy Store as I might come see the show. Your humor is rib breaking!

traveler

Where next? Venice
Again, this election should be about the issues...and which party stands up ot the powerful and which party is controlled by the powerful (since in this country there is no labor party or anything near it , we are stuck with the dem party) In the end, with mccane youo get more or less of the same ...more war or wars and a social darwin attitud toward the economy..dogeatdog. plus many regressive attitudes towards social issues. WIth clinton or obama, we are offered something differnt, along with hope of new ideas and a new direction(last poll had 81% saying us going in wrong direction) W e all know what direction we =want to go in...lets stop deflecting attention from where we want to go....vote the party... vote the issues...vote for change. In solidarity at majority of us working people

May I ask, "What, exactly, are Senator Obama's new ideas and/or his new direction"? Have you or anyone looked at his voting record in Congress or the Illinois Legislature. As far as I can ascertain, he has NEVER voted across party lines. I must say that both Senators Clinton and McCain have voted across party lines in the past. He has, more than once in Illinois, claimed to have voted the wrong way after the voting was over and he felt the need to exonerate himself from that recorded vote. These ARE the issues. These votes and their results ARE his direction. As to Ms. Clinton, that's a hard sell to claim a new direction without straining credulity.

wkmac

And one other thing there rank&filer, if the dems are the protector from the Barbarians at the Gate, then why do I go to a liberal website like Counterpunch and find the following headlines for the same piece?

A CounterPunch Exclusive

Democrats Okay Funds for Covert Ops

Secret Bush "Finding" Widens War on Iran

Democrats Okay Funds for Covert Ops? Hmmmmm.

Here's the entire article and the only thing Cockburn IMO failed to do was give more details on what the dems did but I realize it's hard to condem your own kind so to speak.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110804234255/http://www.counterpunch.org/andrew05022008.html

Covert Actions! Iran! Dems. okay funding! Dems. control both houses of Congress. All issues of spending and taxation according to Article 1 of the US Constitution so the Congress has the ultimate say so at least constitutionally speaking so again, tell me how the dems really are any better? How would you defend Hillary who's all but said she'll use the big bomb in a case where no direct threat to the US is made when we refused to take such action at Tora Bora when a possible case IMO could (SHOULD) have been made? I'd put a mushroom cloud in those caves so fast it'd make your head spin!

Republicans have been an utter failure to what they said in 1994' but the dems IMHO have failed as a true check and balance so why should I trust them more with the White House now?

diesel96

Enough with the conservative smokescreen politics, my friends(McClain lingo)....I'm going to stoop to your level of character smears because I'm bored and frankly tired of hearing this kind of GOP politics since the Reagon days. Of course this deflects talking about real issues which you don't stand a chance during the general elections.
New York Times Magazine has an interview with John McCain’s controversial endorser, John Hagee, who says John McCain sought his endorsement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/m...tml?_r=2&ref=magazine&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The comparison between Obama/Wright and McCain/Hagee is absolutely valid. They’re both fundamentalists, and to most outside of their church they preach an “extreme” theology. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been a member for the church, or asked the pastor to endorse you b/c you VALUED the endorsement. Seeking affiliation with someone is seeking affiliation with someone. Period.

Many of you out there in Lindbaugh land using terms like Radical, Socialist, marxist, anti-american...etc
Lets breakdown the term like anti-american as conservatives talk down to people...To call someone anti-American, indeed, to be anti-American, is not just racist, it's a failure of the imagination. An inability to see the world in terms other than those that the establishment has set out for you: If you don't love us, you hate us. If you're not good, you're evil. If you're not with us, you're with the terrorists.

This race seems to be evolving as the experience insiders (Clinton and McClain) against the unexperienced, yet well versed, fresh behind the ears outsider(Obama). Who's demonsrated better judgement over his more experienced counter parts. It's breaking down to those of you who want to continue this inner circle of beltway politics to a canidate viewed as outside the beltway. Many Americans are fed up with Washington insiders, lobbyist, and corperate muscle. Interesting watching far right pundits supporting Clinton over McClain. The system needs an enima, hopefully the plumbing is working in D.C. Obama has his sleeves rolled up waiting to flush the inherited system down the drain. This town needs a liberal amount of Drano. There have been 21 national debates, if you don't know the canidates ideas by now, do some research.

av8torntn

This race seems to be evolving as the experience insiders (Clinton and McClain) against the unexperienced, yet well versed, fresh behind the ears outsider(Obama). Who's demonsrated better judgement over his more experienced counter parts. It's breaking down to those of you who want to continue this inner circle of beltway politics to a canidate viewed as outside the beltway. Many Americans are fed up with Washington insiders, lobbyist, and corperate muscle. Interesting watching far right pundits supporting Clinton over McClain. The system needs an enima, hopefully the plumbing is working in D.C. Obama has his sleeves rolled up waiting to flush the inherited system down the drain. This town needs a liberal amount of Drano. There have been 21 national debates, if you don't know the canidates ideas by now, do some research.

Last time public sentiment was like that it brought us J. Earl Carter.