Military leave

UPSGUY72

Yes and no. They might make it sound like they're guaranteeing you a specific job when all they're really guaranteeing is a chance to try out for it. Even if you don't make it they still have your ass for 6 years. It pays to read the fine print.

You don't join the service to be a special forces person. You join to do a specific job (cook, repair something, medical, etc) The special forces designator is something you earn above and beyond your specific job. You would have to go to basic training and then school for your specific job before you would have a chance to try to apply and then make it through a special forces school...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You don't join the service to be a special forces person. You join to do a specific job (cook, repair something, medical, etc) The special forces designator is something you earn above and beyond your specific job. You would have to go to basic training and then school for your specific job before you would have a chance to try to apply and then make it through a special forces school...
That's what I said:
It's possible that his recruiter is offering him a guaranteed slot at the Q course in exchange for a 6 year active duty contract, they have done that at various times over the years. You still have to complete basic training and your MOS school prior to getting the slot and there is no guarantee that you'll pass the course they have a pretty high attrition rate.

peanutbuttermm

You can be guaranteed a seal contract if you score very well on physical test.
If I only did the 4 years active duty in a normal position would ups protect my job? I don't understand userra too well

Coalminer2005

Do you think it's fair that someone leaves to take an essentially FT job for 5 years and then come back right to their seniority spot? Don't get me wrong, I support the military members. Half of my sort is either reserve or former military. I've had a lot of Fridays where I'm missing someone because of drill. I've also had National Guard members deployed. But those guys are reserve. If you choose to join the military for a 5 year contract, you shouldn't expect your place to be held.
Fortunately the law states otherwise. Good luck to the service men and women willing to sacrifice time to serve their country.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The OP may be yanking our chain.
One doesn't just waltz right into SF. I understand there are stringent (I used a big word) requirements for SF.
True. You can't pick a special forces MOS. You have to start somewhere like infantry then apply, be tested, be selected, pass school, etc.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
True. You can't pick a special forces MOS. You have to start somewhere like infantry then apply, be tested, be selected, pass school, etc.
Actually they are letting people do that now, at least in the army.

*edit
Just checked and it looks like you can enlist with a guarantee to be a SEAL candidate as well.

blkmamba

Negative. You can join at any time.
Does an employee have to let their employer know they are joining the military? I think it's different if they hire you knowing you serve where as you aren't serving when hired but choose to do so later. Nothing against our military members as they are braver then myself but I think it's different in the employer knows going in what mc oils happen.

PT Car Washer

Does an employee have to let their employer know they are joining the military? I think it's different if they hire you knowing you serve where as you aren't serving when hired but choose to do so later. Nothing against our military members as they are braver then myself but I think it's different in the employer knows going in what mc oils happen.
A person can join at anytime. The defense of our country is considered more important then a bunch of boxes from china being delivered on time.

blkmamba

A person can join at anytime. The defense of our country is considered more important then a bunch of boxes from china being delivered on time.
True but would they need to inform their current employer when they join? I just think it would be a little messed up to show up one day with your deployment papers with your employer having no previous knowledge. I'm not really talking UPS as they can replace anyone but your smaller companies that rely more heavily on their employees. In no way am I trying to bash serving our country, I'm just curious how it all works.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When is prior notice to the civilian employer required? How is such notice to be given?
The person who is performing the service (or an official representative of the uniformed service) must give advance written or verbal notice to the employer. The notice requirement applies to all categories of training or service. Notice is not required if precluded by military necessity or, if the giving of such notice is otherwise impossible or unreasonable.
A determination of military necessity shall be made pursuant to regulations prescribed by the Department of Defense. It is reasonable to expect that situations where notice is not required will be rare. The law does not specify how much advance notice is required, but the Department of Defense advises members of the National Guard and Reserve that they should provide their employers as much advance notice as they can. (Section 4312).

USERRA Frequently Asked Questions

blkmamba

When is prior notice to the civilian employer required? How is such notice to be given?
The person who is performing the service (or an official representative of the uniformed service) must give advance written or verbal notice to the employer. The notice requirement applies to all categories of training or service. Notice is not required if precluded by military necessity or, if the giving of such notice is otherwise impossible or unreasonable.
A determination of military necessity shall be made pursuant to regulations prescribed by the Department of Defense. It is reasonable to expect that situations where notice is not required will be rare. The law does not specify how much advance notice is required, but the Department of Defense advises members of the National Guard and Reserve that they should provide their employers as much advance notice as they can. (Section 4312).

USERRA Frequently Asked Questions
Apparently you are much better at Google searches then I am. Thank you

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Fortunately the law states otherwise. Good luck to the service men and women willing to sacrifice time to serve their country.
The person made the choice to leave and enlist. I support them and wish them nothing but the best. But choosing to join active duty military service is like choosing a new full time job.