Mislead by manager

JackStraw

...some of them are....it is called "salting the load" and is a technique used on drivers they suspect are not reporting misloads through the DIAD and are instead burying them in their pickups.

While I believe that it's a snakey thing to do and right up Mgt.'s level, I don't think they would intentionally risk a missed piece or service failure. In our center they do scan packages without telling us just to "check" us.When our current center manager got here he would pull a pkg out of the retain load and tell the driver he found it on his car. One driver caught him in this lie as another driver had the package (mis-loaded) and flagged it. The driver called him out on it. Pretty special.

DS

Fenderbender
Depending on where you are,ups often offers incentives to employees for hires that work out well.
My guess is this manager misinterpreted a new program that would offer $1000 to employees that
recruited dependable,productive hires that lasted one year.I may be wrong,but this is how I decided
to apply at ups.A driver explained the job and told me they needed drivers.He got $50 for this
23 years ago.
IMO,deciding to work less hard will get you nowhere fast.

brownIEman

Depending on where you are,ups often offers incentives to employees for hires that work out well.
My guess is this manager misinterpreted a new program that would offer $1000 to employees that
recruited dependable,productive hires that lasted one year.I may be wrong,but this is how I decided
to apply at ups.A driver explained the job and told me they needed drivers.He got $50 for this
23 years ago.
IMO,deciding to work less hard will get you nowhere fast.

What he said.
I have never heard of UPS offering part timers a $1000 bonus to stay a year. I have heard of local operations offering tuition assistance, raffles, and other incintive programs to help in retention. The problem with programs like this, is they tend to be one-off, local to districts, divisions, and even buildings. So there is no national program to synchronize them and educate all management bout them. So the potential for misunderstanding about them is huge.

OR, to quote Bonaparte, "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence".

Most hourlies should take this quote to heart before going off about lying thieving management.
Most Management should take this quote to heart before going on a rampage about lying, thieving hourlies.