moving

I am a full time driver in PA, but i am looking to move to Texas, why wont UPS allow employees to transfer, the only way i can do this is to quit and try to be rehired in Texas. Lose my 13 years of seniority... anyone have anything to say?????????

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry Down, as far as I know Western Conference is the only one that allows transfers and only within the Western Conference.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I am a full time driver in PA, but i am looking to move to Texas, why wont UPS allow employees to transfer, the only way i can do this is to quit and try to be rehired in Texas. Lose my 13 years of seniority... anyone have anything to say?????????

There would be no drivers left in the Snow Belt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Since this does not apply to non-union employees, I assume this has something to do with setting a precedence for future requests. It's unfortunate.

evilleace

I think it is because if someone had been waiting 6-7 yrs. to drive and you came in and bumped them out it would cause a pretty big sit jmo.

Re-Raise

How would like it if a group of drivers moved to your area and bumped you out of a job? It would be a nightmare for UPS to try to accommodate every one of their employees who wanted to transfer, and unfair to the local part-timers.

Maybe you could convince one of the Texas drivers to move to PA then it could be an even swap.
Don't look at me, I don't wanna swap.
Is there any reason you want to move to Texas (other than the obvious) or is it from a need to move here? Any particular area?

helenofcalifornia

I worked in a hub for many years out here. I was the top seniority PTer, earning driver's wages (pre-1981 contract) working as many hours or as few hours as I wanted. This was when UPS was using utility drivers all the time so I would be driving and earning as much as regular drivers.

Anyway, wanted to transfer to another part of Norcal, put in the transfer request and was denied. (very legitimate reasons for needing to also). I moved anyway, got on with UPS again as a PTer again, and had to wait 8 years to go driving. Worth the wait. 8 years of working 2 jobs. Wouldn't do it now with having to wait one year for benefits and three years to top out on wages.

My advice, don't leave Pennsylvania and give up what you have unless you know you have something better in the Great State of Texas.

Ms.PacMan

I, once, thought about transferring to Michigan. I'm really really really glad they didn't allow it. I would have died there in a very short period of time.

LOL - living in the Midwest I think about the pioneers a lot. Okay - so the wagon train sucks and the little woman puts her foot down and won't go any further. But after the first winter in a shack on the prairie, you would think that that would have been enough motivation to get back on the wagon trail come Spring!

LOL - living in the Midwest I think about the pioneers a lot. Okay - so the wagon train sucks and the little woman puts her foot down and won't go any further. But after the first winter in a shack on the prairie, you would think that that would have been enough motivation to get back on the wagon trail come Spring!
You would think so.

filthpig

That's just the way it is. No sense hollering about it.