My Christmas tree !!!!! WTF !!

oldngray

nowhere special
So how long did it take you to install the dishwasher. Son had his first experience in DIY with an over the stove microwave. He did this just before Thanksgiving. He was so meticulous about it as he had to cut into the cabinet for plumber to come in and hook up the venting.

When I bought my house it had a similar stove but was small electric above and gas below. I replaced it with a smaller all electric (I did need to wire a 220 outlet and cap the gas line but the wiring was already in the wall). I had to fill in above where there was a hole in the wall that was hidden before. Not difficult but took some time. Half a day maybe but I take my time doing stuff like that.

oldandcrabby

He was so thrilled to have it all done and ready to host his first Thanksgiving in his house. I love cooking in his custom kitchen. He bought the house two years ago in the middle of peak and then totally gutted March of 2014 just about completely finished.

$_35.JPG

oldngray

nowhere special
He was so thrilled to have it all done and ready to host his first Thanksgiving in his house. I love cooking in his custom kitchen. He bought the house two years ago in the middle of peak and then totally gutted March of 2014 just about completely finished.

When you buy your own house you have that pride of ownership and want to do as much of the house repairs as possible yourself. Working full time often limits that to simple repairs but you do learn how to do those things yourself. Paying a plumber costs a fortune.

oldandcrabby

When you buy your own house you have that pride of ownership and want to do as much of the house repairs as possible yourself. Working full time often limits that to simple repairs but you do learn how to do those things yourself. Paying a plumber costs a fortune.
Here was our agreement when he bought the house it was a foreclosure pretty run down. He asked if I would be willing to help with sweat equity I said yes as long as you take the dog and all family gatherings. He agreed to the deal the plumbing and electric was so bad in it that it all had to be redone by incensed people.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here was our agreement when he bought the house it was a foreclosure pretty run down. He asked if I would be willing to help with sweat equity I said yes as long as you take the dog and all family gatherings. He agreed to the deal the plumbing and electric was so bad in it that it all had to be redone by incensed people.

You can do plumbing and electric like that yourself but it would still need to be inspected and certified by an expert. That much work I would just pay someone else to do it so I wouldn't need to worry about it being done right.

oldandcrabby

You can do plumbing and electric like that yourself but it would still need to be inspected and certified by an expert. That much work I would just pay someone else to do it so I wouldn't need to worry about it being done right.
Yep that is what he did because he knows nothing about plumbing or electrical we have always rented. The sweat equity came into play of 1 acre lot no yard maintenance for 9 years, he was able to do all dry-walling, insulation, cabinets, painting and of course all the tear out that had to be done first. I told him he is really going to make a wonderful husband for somebody one day.

oldandcrabby

He only works PT for UPS.
There was 3 different types of wiring in the house.
The original drywall throughout the whole house was taped together with masking tape.

oldandcrabby

We go to church with an excellent general contractor with a very good reputation he lined him up with excellent plumber and electrictioner. (sp?) The general contractor install new basement stairwell and advised him all sweat equity work.

oldandcrabby

Old house? Wiring codes changed several times over the years.
He bought it for the land and the price was right to be able to pay for it to be brought up to code. After peak him and general, and myself will do doors and trim, then have the floor guy come in and finish off hardwood floors throughout.