My Hub

J

johnny_b

We are going through a difficult period and it is very, VERY, painful. I do not mean peak season.

We have a very large account. From this account we have 10-20+ 53' footers every day. 5 or 6 of these trucks are loaded with 7500 cigar box size boxes. They must be unloaded in less than an hour. We do not have the facilities to be able to baby every single one of these packages. We know what is in these packages and trust me, the contents are not hurt by not using extremely strict hand to surface techniques suck as four corners. In the past, we, the hourlys, have talked about the helicopter effect and like things. Packages land softly where they are supposed to with the labels up and there is absolutely no damage to the contents.

We have a new region supervisor. His pet peeve is sort aisle's throwing boxes. This is normally very understandable. With these trucks, it is not. This fine fellow has sent spies to our facility. They have taken very fine mens' and womens' jobs and insist that we baby these packages when they are about. We cannot get our job done. They are not around very often, but when they are, my job, that of sorting, is impossible. Of course, the unload is allowed to do whatever it wants to packages, the pickers do what they have to, but WE ARE NOT.

Before, packages were decently handled. We had a christmas party last year that was wonderful. We had a good time and did extremely well.

Now, we choose between job security and having a supervisor yell at us for turning off the belt. These supervisors are used to having truly amazing numbers, AND SO ARE THEIR BOSSES! Please understand that where I am from the work ethic is still extremely good. We are a little backwards.

Many of us have been given letters because the spies got through and we were not told. There is a great dissention in the building not just between hourlys and the new management but supervision and supervision also.

I have been told that it is just best to remember who my friends are and anyone else is my enemy!

I wish we could treat every box as if it was our new friend (George
happy.gif
, I am gonna hold him and hug him and pet him and love him).

Also, there is a new definition of workplace violence. Apparently, these fine fellows say that curse words are a version of workplace violence. While in Iowa, maybe, but not where I am from. Don't misunderstand me, we come from a place in the Bible Belt with high moral standards, but we also pride ourselves on the ability to say something curse to one another and remain on each other's good side a day later (probably NOT the SAME day). "Zero tolerance" they call it. It is an extreme culture shift. This may be a larger problem than the above. Some supervisors have lost their jobs over the change in definition. If I were my supervisor, I may have lost my job by now.

Thank you very much for letting me vent. If there are suggestions for dealing with this situation, please reply. Sarcastic and mean posts are expected but not welcome. Thank you again.

S

smf0605

johnny b - let me address just one issue in your post - and it's not so much an issue of workplace violence, but of sexual harassment.

You may be comfortable with the words that are said. That does not mean everyone is. Please don't assume that because no one has told you personally that they are offended that all is fine. Swearing can, and does, create a hostile work environment.

Let me remind you, there is an absolute, zero tolerance for sexual harassment.

J

johnny_b

I agree wholeheartedly with that. It pains me deeply whenever I hear someone call another 'ferret'. I hear it on a weekly basis to various people.

I was harassed in junior high school a lot for developing late and being generally awkward. This was confused with being feminine and thus I was called 'ferret' a lot. I hate hearing it at work but feel like doing anything about it would reflect poorly on me.

The women in the hub are treated very well with lots of respect.

(Message edited by johnny_b on December 13, 2002)

T

trouble1903

Understand one thing, it's not just the women that deserve the respect it's the men also.
I've seen supervisors curse up a storm while
"talking" to an hourly. Those words are said with the intention to hurt, cut down and undermind that person.

If your supervisor came up to you and was up set with something that you did, would you take the "talk" as just that a "talk" if every other word out of his mouth was "friend" this and "friend" that?

Think about it.

P

proups

I won't listen to conversations that involve cursing. I just tell the person that I am not going to be talked to in that manner and walk away if they do not stop. Nobody can fire me for that! I will listen to criticism in a civil manner.

As for workplace violence, UPS does have a zero tolerance policy and it is well advertised. You have to remember that it is perception. If the person feels threatened by another employee's words or actions, then that employee has violated the policy.
icon304.gif

Package handling has been hand to surface since I came to UPS 20+ years ago.

O

over70lbpkg

Johnny B,

This customer with 10 - 20 trailers a day, this must be UPS largest customer! I could see management not tolerating improper package handling, especially with this customer. Just imagine all the returned damages there would be for this customer if they weren't handled properly. I have seen large customer's leave UPS for less. By the way, what does this company ship?

J

johnny_b

I'm not going to say what they ship for I would definately give away who they are. I can say they are near one of the largest accounts UPS has. Honestly, there is nobody else that could handle half the volume in the area. The old RPS building looks like an abandoned barn with the 'friend' word painted over it.

I just wish we had a much bigger small sort and a way to get these packages there.

Proups - I don't blame you. That is a very adult approach to take.

U

ukworker

If good figures means damaging packages then your supervisors need to rethink. If following methods means failing the customer then your timelines/resources need reassessing.
Trouble 1903 I agree all employees need to be respected, some supervisors are power crazy, I got roasted today for not saying hello properly.

J

johnny_b

As I said before, the packages have never been damaged by sorters. Maybe never is too strong a word, but extremely rarely.

U

ukworker

Browncow: Yeah, I'm in the UK. This website has been a real eyeopener.

B

brownshirt

ukworker, How big is the operation that you work at? Is it a union shop?

U

ukworker

Brownshirt: One of the larger UK sites 126 employees, 53 of whom are package car drivers. Averaging between 4900-5600(inbound) during normal week, did 6559 packages today. Probably small beer compared to most US operations. Peak has gone okay but morale generally low scored 46% in ERI and only 14 people went to Christmas party. Centre has only been open six(ish) years, but growth is steady. No union.

D

dannyboy

UK

ERI scores in our building hardly ever go above 50 and usually in the mid 40's. But your workplace is what you make it. While I am not a big fan of the Teamsters, there is a lot to be said for drivers/part timers banding together to look out after one another. That mentoring in our building has stoped a lot of harrasment, they can not single out just one when you all stick together. IT is such a shame, back in the late 80's I thought they had turned over a new leaf by making us a part of the company and wanted to have our input on policies dealing with our jobs. But again as before, we are just the muscle behind the machine. Instead of fighting, them and us mentality, it should be what can WE do to move our business along.

Kind of funny, the delivery sup came up to us and said when we take the ERI, it reflected only on him, not on any one else up the ladder. But when it comes to making decisions on dispatch etc, everybody above him makes them all, and he only carries out what they tell him. Go figure!

d

P

proups

dannyboy: your delivery sup was right about the ERI - it does only reflect on him. Dispatch was an issue everywhere this summer because of the loss of volume, but there are really no questions on the ERI that address dispatch (except maybe work/life balance).

So if your center is attacking dispatch issues by answering ERI questions negatively, you make your sup look bad about something he/she has little control over! Think about it!!

U

upsdude

My delivery sup was promoted to manager last month. Good for him, bad for us. He told me and others that the ERI is what did it for him. Apparently his ERI scores went through the roof. Great guy, Ill call him Joe. Joe would ask for the schedule of your kids ball games, school stuff etc. He would do his best to ensure that you made it to each and every event. He worked with the guys that were struggling on their routes, he didnt beat them over the head with a morning report. It wasnt usual for him to find you on a very hot day and hand you a bottle of water. He was more likely found wearing his Browns than a coat and tie, especially in the mornings. The drivers seemed to appreciate that, it projected more of a team attitude.

Another ERI note..

I know guys that click on Strongly Disagree for every question, no matter the truth.

P

proups

upsdude: "Joe" didn't just get promoted for his ERI score - he got promoted for everything else you mentioned. With a Sup like that, I would not imagine that there was much to beat up the drivers for on his morning report!

Now if he can go and train the Sups that work for him to do as he does......

U

upsdude

proups.........

He had his hands full in the beginning. He took over from a sup that had the personality of a damaged over 70, ugly. One thing that I really like about Joe is his honesty. Example, how many times have you been sent back out at days end to run some house calls? Or get a text message in the afternoon to go help someone? 90% of the time the sup knew about the potential problem in the morning and didnt let you know. Joe would tell you straight up in the morning of what he had planned and you could plan your work day (and your LIFE!) with that in mind. I do understand that things happen that are not anyones fault. I also understand that in some work groups, giving out information like that (in the morning) would cause some folks to lay down, but most of us wouldnt.

Bottom Line, Jim Casey would be proud of Joe for sure!

T

trouble1903

Where can I get me a "Joe" doll. He sounds like the type of guy you would love to work with every day! It also sounds like you enjoy going to work every morning, that must be nice.
happy.gif

D

dannyboy

OR how many days have you been called in on a day off for "just a half a day run" that ends up with 130 stops and 10 hours.

d