My pay rate changed from the first check, is this common?

Hello,

I work as a helper. Is it common to receive more for orientation and then have a reduced pay rate? I am making almost 6 bucks an hour less than the rate I got for the orientation. I’ve been with the same driver. kinda bugging me, because I checked last week while I was working and saw much more money on the first check than it displays currently.

Another helper in my area is having the same issue.

ManInBrown

If you are anything like the helpers i had. And they are all the same. I never had one that wasnt a total PITA, and a hindrance. They shouldnt be called helpers. They should be called anchors. Go pick your anchor up. He/she is at the meet point. Your anchor is waiting. You should be paying UPS to allow you to be a helper.

watdaflock?

If you are anything like the helpers i had. And they are all the same. I never had one that wasnt a total PITA, and a hindrance. They shouldnt be called helpers. They should be called anchors. Go pick your anchor up. He/she is at the meet point. Your anchor is waiting. You should be paying UPS to allow you to be a helper.
You sound like a real fun guy to work with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The efficiency of a helper is directly related to the efficiency of the driver.

The efficiency of a helper is directly related to the efficiency of the driver.
Yep, it’s all about delegation skills and work etiquette. I listen pretty well and work like a dog, so I receive delegation well. It works well, other day we had 130 stops left at 4 and pounded it out and got home around 7:30. We are who people who need help run to!
Concerning the money, yeah. I made the mistake of telling my driver my pay rate (he asked diligently, and I foolishly told him - new hires should keep it to themselves imo) and he told his buddy driver who’s helper was only making 14 about it...and so my pay has been adjusted. :) it’s all good. Luckily, I’m not here for just the money. In time, good stuff will come. The value of a person isn’t about how much money they make or if they’re famous. it’s how they go about performing their tasks in their lives and how much they’ve striven towards their profession, that is what counts. My goal is to become a driver, I think the mailman is an integral role in society that while stressful, is a satisfying job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you claim that your pay rate was changed after you foolishly told your driver how much you made and he told another driver who's helper was making less??

Your goal is to become a driver yet you think the mailman plays an integral role in society??

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yep, it’s all about delegation skills and work etiquette. I listen pretty well and work like a dog, so I receive delegation well... The value of a person isn’t about how much money they make or if they’re famous. it’s how they go about performing their tasks in their lives and how much they’ve striven towards their profession, that is what counts.

Hard work and ambition are valuable, but they are not what determine's a person's value. Those things help inform their value in the market, but a person is far more than the sum of their participation within the market. Don't let corporate culture and expectations of the market limit how much you value yourself as a person.

Hard work and ambition are valuable, but they are not what determine's a person's value. Those things help inform their value in the market, but a person is far more than the sum of their participation within the market. Don't let corporate culture and expectations of the market limit how much you value yourself as a person.

I never said “hard work and ambition”. Id appreciate you not taking my words out of context and replacing them with your own, but since I see that happening, let me clarify...

It is how hard you have striven on your given path, how much good you have accomplished, and how sincere you have devoted your energies to it. It is your spirit of devotion, your sincerity, that determines worth.

All the best.
:)

Last edited:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Yep, it’s all about delegation skills and work etiquette. I listen pretty well and work like a dog, so I receive delegation well. It works well, other day we had 130 stops left at 4 and pounded it out and got home around 7:30. We are who people who need help run to!
Concerning the money, yeah. I made the mistake of telling my driver my pay rate (he asked diligently, and I foolishly told him - new hires should keep it to themselves imo) and he told his buddy driver who’s helper was only making 14 about it...and so my pay has been adjusted. :) it’s all good. Luckily, I’m not here for just the money. In time, good stuff will come. The value of a person isn’t about how much money they make or if they’re famous. it’s how they go about performing their tasks in their lives and how much they’ve striven towards their profession, that is what counts. My goal is to become a driver, I think the mailman is an integral role in society that while stressful, is a satisfying job.
Are you church going

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.

I know how you feel man. Every year I have to remind them: "please no sex offenders, anyone over the age of 72 1/2 and no one that had a medical procedure done in the last 72 hours please."

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I never said “hard work and ambition”. Id appreciate you not taking my words out of context and replacing them with your own, but since I see that happening, let me clarify...

You remind me of an English teacher I had in highschool, who apparently didn't know what synonyms are.

Strive: make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.

Is that different than hard work?

Ambition: a strong desire to do or to achieve something, typically requiring determination and hard work.

Ambition is necessary in order to strive, is it not? You should have a strong desire to achieve a goal if you hope to strive after it, shouldn't you?

These words perfectly capture the essence of what you were saying. Your "clarification" only confirmed that the words I chose fit. I am sorry that you don't like the words, and that you felt like I misrepresented what you said. But, you missed the forest for the trees. I was being encouraging and affirming in my original post.

It is how hard you have striven on your given path, how much good you have accomplished, and how sincere you have devoted your energies to it. It is your spirit of devotion, your sincerity, that determines worth.

All the best.

Who gave you the "given path" that you strive hard on? What if you have all the best intentions, devote yourself fully, strive with perfect sincerity, yet never actually accomplish any good? Are you somehow worth less? I know these are big questions, but it is worth it to find the answers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All the best.

Striven?

Ghost in the Darkness

UPS didn't pay helpers for weeks last year, many quit. Same problem is happening again here. They like to play smoke and mirrors with quarterly numbers and have no shame in effing people over. We have experience helpers who are part timers who have worked for years making $5-6 less than off the street hires with no experience. A few years ago they hired a helper who was in the midst of court appearances for shoplifting. This year I had an ex-con just released from serving a lengthy sentence in state prison for violent crimes. I'm guessing they get some kind of monetary perk from this. Way to go ups.