name that car

area43

picture the options compared to todays cars,(ac,pw,ps,pb,ke,cc,ts etc)all n/a but it would last 10 years no problem...I owned 3 of them over the years
DS, I hate to say it, but the bug brings back bad memories. Growing up there was four of us kids. My mom and dad in the front , older brother and sister in the middle and my other brother and I in the cubby hole. We lived in Barstow,Calif. a small town located in the mojave desert. It was hot back there in the hole, no a/c(dads to cheap,lol) and very little ventilation(kinda like an ups truck). Tempers were short and my brother and I would have big kicking fights. It was nothing more than shear torture. How he and I fit back there is still a mystery. I also owned one, again no a/c,no blower for the heat, no window defroster,very little suspension(felt every bump on the road) and they dont do well in the snow. I was glad to sell it. sorry, I just cant be with you on this one. ( :

area43

d
Area 43....was your dad with the railroad, by chance?
My mom and dad were both school teachers. My dad grew up in huntington beach area, down below. Your right about the railroad. Theres a big hump yard. We first lived inbetween Yermo and Dagget(too very some places,towns i guess with weird names,lol). I love and miss the high desert. That where my heart will always be. Ive been in Virgina for about 24 years and have not become very attached to the landscape. It is nice va, but that something just isnt there.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I know exactly where Yermo is. We drive a lot to Vegas from SoCal.

Barstow is our stopping off place for a break....Del Taco!!

area43

I know exactly where Yermo is. We drive a lot to Vegas from SoCal.

Barstow is our stopping off place for a break....Del Taco!!
More your killing me, I LOVE DEL TACO! None here, I went to their web site a while back and I believe theres one in maryland. To far to drive and it probably wouldnt be the same. Yes, Barstow is the pit stop between LA and Las Vegas. I dont know if you remember a place called Lake Delores, wild place, its closed now , I was a life guard there for a couple summers, It was great. I used to work at Harts cafe(at the calico s exit back in 1980. Well I could go on and on. Idle Spurs steak house I worked there tooo.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Lake Delores became Rock-a-hula Park and I've never seen it open........just rotting away. There are big tube water slides rusting out in the desert sun.

I wrote to the Newbury Springs Chamber of Commerce and all they said was there was a question of ownership and the park couldn't open until ownership was determined. Weird, huh?

OK, now I have the bug and I want to go to Vegas and I want a burger from DelTaco with the crinkle fries !!!

I DO have a Del Taco down the street, but it's not the same as the Barstow one....it's the original.

Sammie

I learned how to drive a stick shift on a '63 bug.

That brought back a great memory! I had a '63 bug also and I won't forget the first time I ever drove it into a gas station (they were all full service then). It was on the way home one night after an evening class and it was pouring buckets outside. The attendant/owner came out to my car and I told him to fill it up and check the oil and water. The guy had a screaming fit out there in the rain and warned me never to show my face on his property again!!!

I was stunned. I remember going home and having one of my room mates explain what had happened. "Good going, dumb a**. There is no water to check. It's air cooled. The guy thought you were a smart a** kid who made him come out and get drenched so he could 'check the water' "

Live and learn!!! :bored:

area43

Lake Delores became Rock-a-hula Park and I've never seen it open........just rotting away. There are big tube water slides rusting out in the desert sun.

I wrote to the Newbury Springs Chamber of Commerce and all they said was there was a question of ownership and the park couldn't open until ownership was determined. Weird, huh?

OK, now I have the bug and I want to go to Vegas and I want a burger from DelTaco with the crinkle fries !!!

I DO have a Del Taco down the street, but it's not the same as the Barstow one....it's the original.
Just to give our posters what Lake Delores was, I worked there in the summers of 83 and 84. The lake was located in the high desert between La and vegas. Many of the people from the beach areas would come to the lake to camp and use the water slides. The water slides, wow, they were built from galavanized steel( not fiberglass), OLD SCHOOL type of stuff. Well, I just explain one of the slides. One was a stand up slide. Yes you stood up going down it. This required some skill,balance and coordination. The slide was constructed of wood and gal. steel. It was like a V-shaped trough, the bottom being roughly 16 inchs wide with water running down it. The grade was about 35 to 40 degrees at the beginning than slowly leveled out after about 200 ft or so. You would slide down bare foot(like a slip n slide reaching speeds of 20mph(depeniding on your weight and if you didnt grip the metal sides to much) The key was to let your hands run lightly on the top of the sides just enough to keep your balance, the sides were very hot so you had to wet you hands before going down. The sides came up alittle above the waste. At the end of the slide there was a 10 ft drop off. It was pretty harry. The lake let you bring booze in, so it was always funny to watch the drunks go down about half way and fall down getting some big knots on their head, no need to worry they never felt a thing lol. Believe me, water and booze dosent mix, but this was a different time and era. There were more crazy rides, I tell you about later. ( :

More, Del Taco started in Yermo, Ca. A gentleman by the name of Mr Hackbar started it. I dont remember him but my dad knew him. He could have kicked himself(hackbar) because he sold the up and coming francise early, missing out on millions and even billons of dollars. He is no longer living. I believed he moved down below(La area). DS, Del Taco is a Mexican fast food chain as you can tell by the website. The food is High quality, Fresh and tastes great. ,
If you are planning on going to vegas, Here is some interesting things along the way. Elephant mountian. When returning from vegas on i15, when you get to the Calico Ghsot Town, Harts cafe(its no longer harts it might be Luvs cafe, not sure) Exit. Its before the koa crampground(returning from vegas). Look to your left and you ll see a mountian the shape of an elephant (from the waist up). I grew up at the foot of that mtn(the first 12 yrs of my life -1) It was a great playground. ps start looking before calico exit for a better view.

Have you ever been to Calico Ghost Town. It was a silver mine I believe back in the late 1800 s(tourist attraction). Whats interesting is that the miners kept pulling out tons and tons of silver ore. They knew that there was a silver vien(mother load) but without technology, they missed it by a foot(what luck). It was after they sold it and years later that they found it. EUREKA!!!!!!!!! We knew some people that owned a gift shop there when I was a kid, had a great time exploring the mines. Had to becareful of mine shafts.

Also, another interesting thing. Right Before you get to Yermo(going to vegas), theres a Marine Corp Logistics base on the right. It was very active during the Vietnam era, I believe it still is but maybe not to the degree. The reason the Corp put the base out in the desert was because no humidity or rain fall(very very little). This saved the Corp alot of money due to the fact they didn t have to build big wharehouses to house all the tanks,jeeps,trucks,amtracks, etc etc. Not much rust or none at all. They just parked them all out in the desert. The Corp also had a park that was opened to the public had alot of fun stuff-tanks,trucks, amtracks etc etc to play on. I loved it, my favorite past time as a kid was to play soldier. Any how, Ill stop for now, I might be getting a little carried away. LOL Take care,More, and good luck in the city of lost wages. ( :