Need some gardening help

Channahon

Having somewhat of a problem with deer dining in my yard. In the winter they were kind enough to prune some of my hydrangeas, small trees and shrubs.

I have a two acre wooded lot, so fencing isn't an option, and the deer were here before we were. It seems they only like to eat whatever we planted.

Tulips gone after a couple days bloom, magnolia buds before they bloomed and day lillies today.

If anyone has some remedies, that work for you, please share. l live in the midwest. Thanks

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Two strands of electric wire work well in some areas

There are a lot of folk remedies that claim to work like aluminum pie pans hanging from trees, or other such things to make noise and spook them. Dont think that they really work all that well.

There are some comercially available deer repellents, but I do not have any first hand knowledge on if they work or not.

Then again, I could send my wife to stay with you for a while. Buy her a new car and I will guarantee she will hit at least one deer with it within a month.

d

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Having somewhat of a problem with deer dining in my yard. In the winter they were kind enough to prune some of my hydrangeas, small trees and shrubs.

I have a two acre wooded lot, so fencing isn't an option, and the deer were here before we were. It seems they only like to eat whatever we planted.

Tulips gone after a couple days bloom, magnolia buds before they bloomed and day lillies today.

If anyone has some remedies, that work for you, please share. l live in the midwest. Thanks

Welcome to the Deer Diner! I have trouble with all forms of wildlife dining on our plants too. Tulips have to be completely covered with wire mesh. Ground hogs try to burrow under decks & sheds, I trap them. Skunks come around frequently too, I call the contracted municpal animal control service and pay him to trap them out. I have replaced all the ornamental shrubs and perennials with plants that the deer won't eat so far. Good luck!

Average at Best

I live in PA, but your situation sounds a lot like mine. I live on an acre in the woods, and the previous owners' garden has been destroyed by deer. The number one thing I've done is plant plants that deer don't like. The nice thing about forest living is that there are a whole range of gorgeous plants that are both well-suited for the semi-shady/shady forest floor and deer-resistant.

I'm sure you can find a list online somewhere, but my garden has daffodils, russian sage, bleeding hearts, monkhood, foxglove, rose campion, blue flax, summersweet, vervain and lamb's ear. The lady at the nursery told me that in addition to bitter tasting or poisonous plants (foxglove), deer don't like "furry" plants (like lamb's ear).

If you are trying to salvage your current plants, I'm not sure what has worked for other people, but I was also told that whatever regime you choose, you have to keep changing it up. Deer are highly adaptable, and they'll learn your routine quickly.

Hope this helps!

Channahon

Thanks for the info, although buying Dannyboys wife a car, well, I'll pass on that solution. Thanks for offering her up for awhile.

I do try to plant deer resistant plants and have some of the plants mentioned above. I have two sections to my property, the natural setting where the deer have always had free roam, and then our lawn and newer plantings. Never gave much thought that they would adapt to new food so quickly.

I have seen deer feed block of something, and have considered putting it down the road, to keep the deer away, but my worry is the deer feed block may do more to attract them. Any thoughts?

The deer aren't too bad with summer fast approaching, but Spring was a bummer.

satellitedriver

It is one of the prices you pay, to live in "the country".
I am willing to trade off them eating my plants, to be able to see a mother nursing her fawn in my front yard.
During hunting season, they bed down at night less than fifty feet from my back door.
A trust has developed over the last thirty years and I cherish it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think if they opened up deer season year around they would all disappear like they do now during the regular season:peaceful:. Satellitedriver I wish there were someway to send you the herd I have hanging around my house because as far as I'm concerned the are nothing but a nuisance. I do have to admit that they sure taste good if cooked right:happy2: