Need some help.

EP170

I have been a ups'r for 22 years, and full time for the last 10. I was told by my business agent that my shift has separate rules for full time employees, and that He negotiated a deal with the labor manager and shift manager 5 years ago. To allow part time employees to take preferred jobs essentially for life, or until they quit or retire. furthermore that a part time employee can bump a full time out of a job! Needless to say i did a bunch of contract reading and found no such supplement or article giving part time the right to bump a full time employee. All i could find was article 47 of the new england supplement which reads : The employer agrees not to enter into any agreement or contract with his/ her employee's, individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the terms and provisions of this agreement. Any such agreement shall be null and void.
Though he is a business agent i dont believe he has the authority to make said agreements. What should i do if he is against my argument that in accordance with article 39 section 6c. this is not within the contract national or supplement and therefore void, and past practice should be observed and my full time seniority should trump any part timers preferred job. Who should i speak with within my union hall if i cant go to the BA? and am i right or am i wasting my time with this? anyone got some advice im all ears.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Perhaps go up the chain of command at your local and if it doesn’t work maybe get ahold of the international? Maybe get the NLRB involved.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have been a ups'r for 22 years, and full time for the last 10. I was told by my business agent that my shift has separate rules for full time employees, and that He negotiated a deal with the labor manager and shift manager 5 years ago. To allow part time employees to take preferred jobs essentially for life, or until they quit or retire. furthermore that a part time employee can bump a full time out of a job! Needless to say i did a bunch of contract reading and found no such supplement or article giving part time the right to bump a full time employee. All i could find was article 47 of the new england supplement which reads : The employer agrees not to enter into any agreement or contract with his/ her employee's, individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the terms and provisions of this agreement. Any such agreement shall be null and void.
Though he is a business agent i dont believe he has the authority to make said agreements. What should i do if he is against my argument that in accordance with article 39 section 6c. this is not within the contract national or supplement and therefore void, and past practice should be observed and my full time seniority should trump any part timers preferred job. Who should i speak with within my union hall if i cant go to the BA? and am i right or am i wasting my time with this? anyone got some advice im all ears.

Find whoever made this agreement and talk to them
Use your words
SMH

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Ask for it in writing

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Your BA could have solved a grievance a certain way that allowed for interpretation of language or created a side letter for understanding of an article which is normal. It may not be right though and you might be able to grieve it. Check with others in the Local and ask for a copy of the letter.