need some simple tips and advice

dointhissince99

tgif all! I recently started my new rt and its good,there is one big problem though.The old driver took a different rt half way through the bid year.since then it has been taken over by rookies who are young and don't take lunch and just want to go home.Therefore the numbers have skyrocketed.How can I legitimately beat it down a little? I've tried staying out late and going over.Then I get yelled at about being paid over.I guess my question is how can I look better on paper without doing the rediculous amount of work they try to stick me with.I don't need to cheat the numbers but just need some more alotted time.Sorry for such a long explanation,but I need some help.How bout some tips on what allows more time at stops or any tips that can stop the sups bickering at me for working at the same pace since 99.or explanation of how there numbers work or how to slightly manipulate them thanks enjoy the weekend and pig out sunday

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The only thing I can say is just stay on trace, take your breaks and lunch when you are supposed to. It's going to be an uphill battle and it will probably take forever to get it back in shape. Hang in there. You will have to be persistant. I know, we have a few drivers that do the same thing and when it goes to a driver that actually does it right we get the same thing. How come............................??????? answer..........It always takes longer to do it right.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Make sure you are taking credit for all the over 70's both on the delivery & p/u side, high values, internationals, haz mat and next day airs on the p/u side. They do add up!

D

Dear Rodney

You say take credit for all the internationals, airs...when at a pickup stop you scan the end of day doesn't that all get counted?? Or have I been hosing myself for not manually entering the info other than the final package count?

Esty

Take credit for everything you Pu and Del.
if someone hands you a pkg off the street make sure you scan it in
if your customers us INTERNET shipping (this is usually pkg's that you get with no end of day ) scan them all
properly take credit for all over 70's Pu and Del
big one here TAKE YOUR LUNCH AND YOUR BREAK I cant stress this any more then I can say
maker a attempt on every and all pkg's
dont scan stuff not in or closed just because you dint feel like going there or you passed it
O yea Proper methods will slow you down alot
completely fill out the info notices
3 points of contact
seet belt every time the wheels move
also take the time to sort your truck and make sure you put in for it
at 10:35 everyday I sort my truck for 30-45 min
there is a spot in the DIAD to where you put your inside building time screen at the top above the inside building time
do everything the ups way and when they do a on site adut they cant gig ya for anything O yea fill out your DVIR so you dont get gig on thet eather
and do everything at your pace not theres
there pace will get you hurt

be sure you do everything honestly and by the book. Then when you go over 9.5 for three days in a week, file a grievance. BE ready for rides, don't change a thing. Do it by the book. Repeat as necessary. sooner or later the dispatch will change for the better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

99, it will be a long, hard battle for you to get this route back to a more manageable level, but it can be done. Follow the methods to the letter. Stay on trace as much as possible. Take your lunch and break(s) and be sure to record those times in the DIAD. Take credit for all over 70s, ARS/RS/Internet shipped pkgs handed to you on route. I would caution against adding miles just for the sake of adding time as there is a big push (at least in my center and district) to reduce mileage and, as we all know and has been discussed here many times, Big Brother is watching. I would also caution against taking Esty's advice of spending 45 minutes sorting your pkg car--is the load really that bad--because GPS now allows mgt to follow our every move or, in this case, 30-45 min of not moving, and if you just happen to be over by 30-45 min they may see a link between the two. I assume that you have PAS/EDD; if so, I would think that spending 30-45 minutes to sort your car is time better spent on the road. I get antsy when I spend 2 minutes back there, let alone 30-45 minutes.

Is your DOL set up the way that you would like it to be? If not, ask your dispatch sup to print out your DOL and then take the time to make the corrections to it so that adjustments can be made which would make your day go that much smoother.

It is hard to follow the runners and gunners who only want to get the pkgs off the car and then get off the clock. Do the job the way that your were taught and you will find that the tide will shift in your favor but that it will take a long time for it to do so.

I can't speak for Esty's center, but where I am we are not allowed to put anything in the inside building section of the DIAD as far as time spent sorting. Especially on area sorting. I would suggest that before you enter anything in there clear it with management.
One key to managing your route to get it back to a respectable level is to not do ANYTHING that they can use against you by calling it an integrity issue. From this point on HONESTY is not only the best policy it is the only policy.
Another key factor is consistency, do your re-alignment routine everyday, including the filing of timely grievances.
Yet another key element is to not let their intimidation work on you. They will compare you to the runner/gunner, " Why can't YOU do this? So-in-so does". The fact is you are NOT So-in-so, you don't skip lunch and breaks, you don't run to and from the package car, you don't speed or cut across parking lots, you DO work by the proper methods.
As Upstate said, it may be a long up hill battle, but it will pay off in the long run.
Good Luck to you.

diesel96

Cross your Tee's and dot your I's. Bug your road sup to ride with you everyday and establish a stop/per hour pace....( make sure you don't take short cuts, get signatures and proper DR's and don't let them pull apts, bulk or slow delivery areas off the day they are riding with you). Once you've established a stop per hour pace put it on cruise control, CYA and just come close to your avg stops/per hr...Don't worry about over-allow or under-allow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Save yourselves the time and just record the delivery location accurately. Whatever "time" you may have gained will be quickly lost if anyone bothers to check your delivery records for accuracy.

DS

Fenderbender
Although all the ideas offered will help,I think yor question was "how can I gain more time", I think helenofcalifornia had the best answer.If you do all your air first,not touching a ground pkg,then go through the area a 2nd time and do the rest,the extra mileage,and increased stop count,will improve your planned day immensely.Your SPOHR will increase,and they will take work off you .at least thats how it would work in our center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Each delivery route is unique, but I agree with DS in that this is probably the most effective way to increase mileage, add to your stop count and increase your SPORH while working within the methods. This may not be practical at bulk stops where dock space is limited (WalMart) and time is of the essence but should work for all other situations. You should also make sure that you are taking credit for individual stops within an office complex as these stops may or may not be accounted for in PAS/EDD and will increase your SPORH. Also, if you have two or more addresses for one stop, make sure to use all of the addresses and do a multiple left at. This works really well at an apartment complex where all deliveries are made to the complex office (student housing). Record a package handed to you for pickup on road as an unscheduled pickup rather than simply adding it to a scheduled pickup stop. Run off all misloads, if practical, as the added mileage and introduction of another area number will increase your planned day.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Run off all misloads, if practical, as the added mileage and introduction of another area number will increase your planned day.
Sometimes the different area number will bite you especially if it's in another loop. Making service on the package is the most important thing. Perfect service will always trump the over under numbers. It was explained to me that the to/from allowances are the fly in the soup that can screw up the planned day!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There is an extra allowance for a dock delivery because you have to back to the dock and walk around to the rear door and open it. You also get no credit when someone gives you an ARS or RS package. Doesn't seem right, you have to stop what you are doing to handle and record it. Also the different speed limits in traffic affect your time.