Need to vent

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
I've seen a lot of good and bad things as a driver over the years but the one bad thing that cuts me up every time is seeing an abused or neglected animal. I was thinking about this today as I made my umpteenth delivery to this one house and seeing their pet once again in a cage. No matter what time of day I go there I see this. The worst I saw was a dog (tied up, naturally) who was so emaciated I could clearly see every rib. It bothered me so much that I called animal control. I saw a cat that was crushed by a garage door. I've seen customers strike their dogs hard because they weren't "obeying"; I've seen them tied up in the rain or unbearable heat without shelter or water. I've been to "cat houses" where 20 cats scatter when I walk up to the door. It all just makes me sick. It's the part of my job I absolutely hate.

Please, no flames or memes. This is serious to me and not something to joke about.

That's all. I just needed to vent. Thanks

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
one of the routes i run takes me through every kind of ghetto under the sun. undocumented, white, black, drugs you name it.

there's one thing all these ghettos have in common and that's pit bulls chained up outside all day/night. one house in particular always creeped me out. super poor area, trash and old furniture and tall grass everywhere. first day i delivered there i walked up to the gate and two pitbulls crawled out of a dilapidated dog house and started barking. one dog barking tentatively first, then the second started barking in support. while i was figuring out what to do with the package i noticed that the second dog had no eyes. i just dropped their amazon package over the fence, stop complete. glad i don't have to go that far down that street very often.

542thruNthru

I've seen a lot of good and bad things as a driver over the years but the one bad thing that cuts me up every time is seeing an abused or neglected animal. I was thinking about this today as I made my umpteenth delivery to this one house and seeing their pet once again in a cage. No matter what time of day I go there I see this. The worst I saw was a dog (tied up, naturally) who was so emaciated I could clearly see every rib. It bothered me so much that I called animal control. I saw a cat that was crushed by a garage door. I've seen customers strike their dogs hard because they weren't "obeying"; I've seen them tied up in the rain or unbearable heat without shelter or water. I've been to "cat houses" where 20 cats scatter when I walk up to the door. It all just makes me sick. It's the part of my job I absolutely hate.

Please, no flames or memes. This is serious to me and not something to joke about.

I've been luckily and have never seen such abuse. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I did. Thats one of those things that really gets to me.

Though on the lighter side..

I was delivering to a house once and saw a large corgi in the yard laying down. I slowly got out of the truck and called out. A lady came around the corner and told me not to worry( like they always say.). She walked over and picked the dog up. The poor dog was so fat his little corgi legs couldn't reach the ground. As sad as it is I couldn't help but laugh as his little legs started moving like he was pretending to run as she walked him into the house. :)

MassWineGuy

I’ve always told my managers that if I saw someone mistreating an animal while on my route that it would be the end of normal life as that owner knows it. I would stop, get out and do my best to annihilate that person. All I’d remember is waking up in a cell. I’d go for a jury trial because someone on that panel has a pet.

To me, abusing animals is as bad as abusing children. No punishment is bad enough.

ManInBrown

Yeah this sucks. I’m with you on this one. I like animals more than people. I didnt see a lot of this because I delivered for the most part of my package career in a very affluent area. Not to say rich people don’t also treat their pets like sheet, but I didn’t really see any neglecting or abuse of pets/animals on my routes.

Indecisi0n

Animals yes but the sad truth is children are mistreated in the same fashion. I worked in a inner city /hood area and time after time I would see some pretty scary stuff. So much so I went to my Sup at the time and explained what I was seeing and asking what I could do about it. He said, you can report it but nothing will happen. CPS will come out and as long as the barebones requirements are there (roof over their head and food) they won’t do anything. It was very sad.

Rim90ers

Animals yes but the sad truth is children are mistreated in the same fashion. I worked in a inner city /hood area and time after time I would see some pretty scary stuff. So much so I went to my Sup at the time and explained what I was seeing and asking what I could do about it. He said, you can report it but nothing will happen. CPS will come out and as long as the barebones requirements are there (roof over their head and food) they won’t do anything. It was very sad.
He never said that children aren’t mistreated. He was talking about animals because that is the situation he experienced.