New at UPS

aaron93m

Hello. I just got a call that I will start working on the 3rd of November for the Twilight shift. I have no clue if I will be a pre-loader, but can anyone tell me what to expect? Will they put me in training or have me start work right away? Also, what about lockers? I have no car at the moment and I don't know where to put my belongings when they don't allow phones inside. I don't think lifting and moving around would be a problem for as I don't like standing and doing nothing. I need to move around to keep myself occupied.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You'll move plenty. More than likely you will loading or unloading trailers. Not preload. Prelude works early morning loading package cars.

NickyNik

4 days of a training class. Lockers here are first come first serve so don't expect one. I keep my purse in the office we have meetings at. They no longer take our phones, we are allowed to bring them in here, before that they were left at the guardshack.

MikeWhite614

At my hub they train for the first week, these days consist of half the shift in the office, studying proper work and safety methods. The second half of the shift they will bring you to your assigned work area with a trainer and they will teach how to do your job.

I would not expect a locker, at my hub the lockers are for drivers and mechanics.

You are not allowed to bring any electronics in the hub because "people steal phones and it is hard for them to know if it is your phone or a stolen one" but in reality they don't want people recording what happens inside the warehouse.

You can get a sticker for your phone but only if you have a special need for it. (if you are not management or a driver) Like if your need to be reachable 24/7 because of family members medical condition or something like that.

Most people bring in backpacks to keep all their stuff in but you will have to let the guards in the guard shack rummage through your backpack every time you enter or leave the building.

MikeWhite614

4 days of a training class. Lockers here are first come first serve so don't expect one. I keep my purse in the office we have meetings at. They no longer take our phones, we are allowed to bring them in here, before that they were left at the guardshack.

What local do you work for? At 413, they still wont let us bring our phones in. :(

No fair.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't know what a local is lol.
tZOS8.gif

BrownBrokeDown

Hello. I just got a call that I will start working on the 3rd of November for the Twilight shift. I have no clue if I will be a pre-loader, but can anyone tell me what to expect? Will they put me in training or have me start work right away? Also, what about lockers? I have no car at the moment and I don't know where to put my belongings when they don't allow phones inside. I don't think lifting and moving around would be a problem for as I don't like standing and doing nothing. I need to move around to keep myself occupied.

The first week, you will spend roughly half the time watching videos that show what would happen in a perfect world where every box weighs 5 lbs and is the same size. The other half is spent in a trailer (whether loading or unloading) while the training sup runs around the building helping other people instead of training you. You will then be assigned to a designated job where you will be expected to know everything and maintained UPS's number during your 2nd week. If you cannot maintain the numbers without a single error, the area pt sup will then start telling you that you need to pick it up or they will have to let go. This period will extend until the day you retire.

MikeWhite614

Is there some reason that people can't live without their phone for a few hours?
Because it is the 21st century? I mean what if one of my parents was admitted to the hospital while I was at work and unreachable?

Why does UPS insist that we can't have phones? In this time and age?

Plus I can look up the contract on my phone, while I am getting a contact. xD

oldngray

nowhere special
Because it is the 21st century? I mean what if one of my parents was admitted to the hospital while I was at work and unreachable?

Why does UPS insist that we can't have phones? In this time and age?

Plus I can look up the contract on my phone, while I am getting a contact. xD

You are paid to work. Not talk on the phone or look up the contract while on the clock.